The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
It's up! The post about the Omniframe, the player's primary mode of fighting. Read more about it on the Ember site:

http://crixa.io/2016/08/the-omniframe-a-m-e-k-battlesuit/

The design is pretty bad ass, though I did want to make one point. I really feel like the spine needs to get a little more support. The frame there is kinda leaning towards the whole bastion problem with too much weight on top with no logical method of keeping it up there. I think if you simply widen the spine a bit it should be OK.

Sandsnake

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Time travel, while heavily speculated on, is in my opinion, not supported by what we do know of our physical reality (besides perhaps moving FORWARD in time, which is apparently just slowing down your current time, while time "outside" moves at a normal speed?... a topic that could lead us into an entirely different discussion).
Good thing then that physics cares about facts and not your opinion. Time travel is not only allowed by our understanding of physics, but occurs all the time, in both time flow directions. Furthermore, saying something as trite as "time travel" has the exact same value of meaning as saying horizontal travel. Time and space are a single, intricate mix. What you describe as time travel is simply a matter of moving to the "left" for a being that exists in a 5d space, unlike us in our 4d space.

Aug 11, 2016
Looks like we are going to be using our knuckles to fight, the arms look so big for boxing :D, if they hold guns they will even look bigger.

Tarus

Jul 28, 2016
Toulouse, France
The design is pretty bad ass, though I did want to make one point. I really feel like the spine needs to get a little more support. The frame there is kinda leaning towards the whole bastion problem with too much weight on top with no logical method of keeping it up there. I think if you simply widen the spine a bit it should be OK.
Was about to make the same comment :p

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
Well, all I can say is, it isn't the kind of look that I particularly care for. If I wanted to play a mech game there are already plenty of those available. I really did like the types of battleframes that Firefall had, and always defaulted to the sleeker ones. My least favorite were Rhino and Mammoth, even the Arsenal looked better to me. Explanations of armor and physics aside, I just don't like the big bulky look. I do hope there will be modifications or options down the road so wearing one of those is not a necessity.

Jul 27, 2016
Some of you guys REALLY need to allow a little room for suspension of disbelief. It's a damn sci-fi mech! Nothing has to make sense regarding shields/forcefields....

You play shooter games and survive many bullets.... do you also go to those game forums and complain about it? I doubt it.

The point is showing off your customized character and not hiding it behind metal.
If you don't want to show off your character then don't... buy a piece of metal and hide your character, I don't care.

Last edited:
Some of you guys REALLY need to allow a little room for suspension of disbelief. It's a damn sci-fi mech! Nothing has to make sense regarding shields/forcefields....

You play shooter games and survive many bullets.... do you also go to those game forums and complain about it? I doubt it.

The point is showing off your customized character and not hiding it behind metal.
If you don't want to show off your character then don't... buy a piece of metal and hide your character, I don't care.
Make it so that we will be able to buy a piece of metal for the chassis to hide our character. I don't think it is asking much in terms of design and customizability. For me, personally, such a simple option for alteration would make me a lot more welcoming to this concept (of being inside a mech).

Jul 26, 2016
Make it so that we will be able to buy a piece of metal for the chassis to hide our character. I don't think it is asking much in terms of design and customizability. For me, personally, such a simple option for alteration would make me a lot more welcoming to this concept (of being inside a mech).
as long as the chest piece is more than just a covering that would be cool.

Like if you want your omniframe to play the role of a tank, you pile on armor that hides your character, increases defense, slows down your movement/agility greatly. Or on the same token if you wanted to play a more CQC role you can have a frame with even more armor ripped off it which shows off your character more while lowering defense and increasing your movement/agility greatly.

that would be cool. Because then there would be a more visual way for people to identify what role a player is playing in the game at any particular moment.

Jul 27, 2016
More options the better, never hurts.

More options the better, never hurts.
And it's not like it's a lot. It's two. Like that hide-helmet function they started doing in RPG. Well...sort of.

Hm...

Now, I'm thinking the chest-area of the mech, the chassis could have unique paint-jobs, patterns, symbols and designs to it, besides the things I mentioned for the heads.

Arrrggh....too much, too much. There are so many possibility, but we can only realistically expect them to incorporate a portion of those.

Perhaps a design competition and the first few places get their concept into the game. Not that I'd be competent enough to participate.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016

True, but still a lot of ppl prefer more "reasonable" design where every detail actualy has it's purpose. Not the anime approach - Hey, we have to add a gazillion of weird stuff because it just looks cool. That mech's head looks rly weird as for me. While the characterr is exposed why do you need another "head"? And as someone said above - this mech resembles the matrix APU. Good for moving some crates around, but not rly good for battles or exploration even if it has soopa doopa forcefield. There is no actual reason to expose your character so much.

Regarding char customization - "More options the better" is debatable. I'm afraid we will end up playing a Clown Parade game with that approach (like most of the asian MMOs) where brutal terraformers gonna ride their pink omniframes while wearing hawaian shirts with their awesome sombreros put on.

Dremor

Jul 27, 2016
Sure, we are in a Science Fiction world, and technologies can looks like incredible in comparison with what we have today. Still, we are not in a Science Fantasy world, and things should still make a bit of technological sense, which, in my opinion, isn't achieved with the current design.

Yes, I dare call this design bad. A spine like that would require very powerful servos, which could exist, of course. But if they do, why not uses them it order to make these big ass arms smaller, which would make them far more useful as they would gain freedom of movement. That why it doesn't make sense. No good engineer would use a better techs for a not so useful part of an exoskeleton (we don't tend to flex our back as much as we flex our arms), and use the worst ones for the most useful part of it.

Still, in these shooters, we usually wear full combat gear. This "bullet sponge" effect is here for game-play sake, not design. Who would want to play a shooter in which you are OS by every shoot? No a lot of people.

On this point, I completely disagree. The human mind don't need a bone and skin figure in order to identify to a caracter, only a vague humanoid appearance. See Reinhardt (an Overwatch character, for those who don't play the game). He has a full body exoskeleton, still, who wouldn't see him as a human being? Same goes for Gundam or Evangelion giant mech. We cannot see the human part (it is too small anyway), but their humanoid form make us able to identify them as "hero", and (in a way) "human beings".
The armor isn't the problem, the problem would be how we do it. If we make it human looking, the player won't have any problem to identify to it.

In conclusion, I prefer Vladplaya design to the original one.
Edit: Well he seems to mostly understand what the term mean, but I'm still don't agree on the interpretation. Thus, removed useless text.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I don't think you understand what suspension of disbelief really mean. Sure, we are in a Science Fiction world, and technologies can looks like incredible in comparison with what we have today. Still, we are not in a Science Fantasy world, and things should still make a bit of technological sense, which, in my opinion, isn't achieved with the current design.
Uhh yes you are, you're in a sci-fi game. There's mechs... Suspending disbelief means to let things go because they are not 100% reality, to not be so critical.....
The term suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief has been defined as a willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe the unbelievable; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment.
Case in point, bikini armor on females. It's not meant to be realistic, you suspend your disbelief of it and assume she's fully armored just because.

Yes, I dare call this design bad. A spine like that would require very powerful servos, which could exist, of course. But if they do, why not uses them it order to make these big ass arms smaller, which would make them far more useful as they would gain freedom of movement. That why it doesn't make sense. No good engineer would use a better techs for a not so useful part of an exoskeleton (we don't tend to flex our back as much as we flex our arms).
That's where you lose it. It's just a mech, it's not supposed to be 100% engineered realistic approach. Just chalk it up to "strong futuristic materials" and move on....You are exactly like this guy:

Still, in these shooters, we usually wear full combat gear. This "bullet sponge" effect is here for game-play sake, not design. Who would want to play a shooter in which you are OS by every shoot? No a lot of people.
You just agreed with me, it's for gameplay sake. Just like the mechs gonna have a forcefield/shield protecting the player in the middle. Exact same thing.

On this point, I completely disagree. The human mind don't need a bone and skin figure in order to identify to a caracter, only a vague humanoid appearance. See Reinhardt (an Overwatch character, for those who don't play the game). He has a full body exoskeleton, still, who wouldn't see him as a human being? Same goes for Gundam or Evangelion giant mech. We cannot see the human part (it is too small anyway), but their humanoid form make us able to identify them as "hero", and (in a way) "human beings".
The armor isn't the problem, the problem would be how we do it. If we make it human looking, the player won't have any problem to identify to it.
That means there is zero customization of the character happening, which is the entire point you're ignoring. It's designed that way to show off your character inside.

In conclusion, I prefer Vladplaya design to the original one.
That's just another standard mech with zero personality. I can play that in many other games If I just want a standard mech.

That mech's head looks rly weird as for me. While the characterr is exposed why do you need another "head"?
Yeah you don't really need that head there, but the discussion is about the forcefield/shield area.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Na, the discussion is about the whole Omniframe design :)
My post.

Jul 27, 2016
It looks awesome, but I gotta say, that's a lot of machinery around the body compared to a "Battleframe". How mobile is it? How fast can it run? I really hope the gameplay with it can be fast and fluid.
Zone of Enders has fast gameplay in full size mechs.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
I mean the whole thread discussion, not your post exactly.

A thought I forgot to convey regadring the shields. It could be much cooler to see frames as some kind of battle suits (like a girl on the initial Ember poster, mb make it a bit bulkier to emphasize it's actualy an exoskeleton-like suit) so you can apply the forcefields,that suit is emitting, all around your char.
Maximum humanized design instead of weird half-assed mecha - win.

Last edited:

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Good thing then that physics cares about facts and not your opinion. Time travel is not only allowed by our understanding of physics, but occurs all the time, in both time flow directions. Furthermore, saying something as trite as "time travel" has the exact same value of meaning as saying horizontal travel. Time and space are a single, intricate mix. What you describe as time travel is simply a matter of moving to the "left" for a being that exists in a 5d space, unlike us in our 4d space.
Lol - it occurs all the time? Wow, incredible ground breaking news. So, link me to the peer reviewed reports and documentation that you claim to exist. That of which, 100%, without a doubt, proves that time travel is possible, for both directions.

Oh, and if the reports mention "General Relativity", do not bother posting it, as you've then already proven my point.

Waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.