The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
I know it's early days Grummz. The concept is appealing, and the aspect of full free motion, as to not make it mechanical, is a great idea.
Just a few thoughts about the weapon loadout's. Will weapons be held in the hand as an extension of the hands you have now, or, replace the arm/hand?
Are you thinking about shoulder rocket launchers or lasers as well?
Also you mention no powered gliding. Will it be able to glide from a fall from heights, and after jumpjet deployment?

It seems to me your also heading the path of all parts of the MEK being inter-changable with market/crafting upgrades. or will we see, as your using aerogel titanium reinforced at a molecular level, our frames being upgraded biomechanically as we increase skill, to a certain level.

Keep up the good work.

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
I honestly dont mind it the more I think about it. The design is used quite a bit in anime from Infinite Stratos, Udefeated Bahamut, Hyperdimension Neptunia, and others with the pilot completly exposed in these types of power suits and all of those are popular anime so I feel it will grow on people in the long run as long as you have the external/visual options when customizing your Omniframe.

Examples (sorry not sure on spoiler tag) http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ars_art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130507195646

Pretty much a sniper with similar design, simply slimmed down etc.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
I don't know... Only thing I really missed on Firefall was the personal force field protecting the pilot. On that game, it really feels I'm a person in a very light armor. Those concepts makes me feel I'm playing with a giant robot, which is a very different feeling. I don't know, really, I'll wait and see. Still believe a more "humanized" character would do better (I mean, look at the girl on Ember's first artwork - there is a giant robot but not meant to be playable).
My thoughts are similar. I like the art :) , but also I hoped for something less big ( like exosuit, I am also fan of more "humanized" characters). I liked old beta FF mainly because of gameplay and crafting... so we will see :)

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I honestly dont mind it the more I think about it. The design is used quite a bit in anime from Infinite Stratos, Udefeated Bahamut, Hyperdimension Neptunia, and others with the pilot completly exposed in these types of power suits and all of those are popular anime so I feel it will grow on people in the long run as long as you have the external/visual options when customizing your Omniframe.

Examples (sorry not sure on spoiler tag) http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ars_art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130507195646

Pretty much a sniper with similar design, simply slimmed down etc.
There is an extensive difference. Namely in that the leg units are directly connected to the pilots legs, any arm units are directly connected to the pilots arms, and wing units are connected directly to the back. With a suit designed for interfacing with the entire unit at all connector points. In Neptunia's case the parts float in those positions (they're goddesses so they get to violate the laws of physics). In fact, that is the kind of thing I was originally expecting (and also similar to Firefall with its Battleframes).

The big bad seller here is that this is not the case here. This is a mech where we stand in the center completely exposed and completely separate from the rest of the frame able to use any clothing option they want as the pilot is using mimicker sensors for movement. Fits right in with The Matrix, but not within the designs popularized by anime and games. The style is too different.

Its too much mech, too little power armor, too detached for it to fit in with the crowd that likes those style of power armors. Yet at the same time too little armor for it to fit in the mecha fans.

Like its trying to be a lot of things and is noncommittal to any direction which results in it being dissatisfying.

Last edited:
This looks awesome!
I will buy MEK from this manufacturer!
After thinking about it some more, having played with WARFRAME, where my character didn't really have a face, I feel I could get used to piloting something like that, by simply imagining I'm a transformer or something out of VANDREAD, but only if they'd cover up the pilot, as in the above image, so the cockpit, with the cock or hen in it wouldn't be visible, as that ruins the feeling of it.

Also, it would be interesting to have a multitude of head-designs, from simple silly smiley faces, to more elaborate lion-heads or dragon-heads or heads of creatures that would be unique to the game. Face-paint. Patterns. A friggin' Megatron-skin if they'd like, so even though the pilot inside - we - wouldn't be visible, the mech itself would have a face that would distinguish it from others, besides its custom equipment and load-out.

Also, if we're going to have a body-slider, why put us in mechs? So maybe a bulkier person and slenderer one could pilot a suit equally well? And their body-shape would show as they'd be suspended in the frame? Is that why they're going with this whole mech-thing? So that could be implemented? If they'd make a body-slider with Firefall-like frames in mind, then there could be recon characters with more muscly bodies, just as there could be slenderer men and women in bulkier frames that would look less bulky, because of the person who would be inside them, but they'd still get the same amount of enhanced strength from the servos.

Last edited:

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
Well my example was not trying to explain the physics/logic of how any kind of power armor or suits per se, but rather show a more sleek example of what said Omniframes could potentially look like.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Well my example was not trying to explain the physics/logic of how any kind of power armor or suits per se, but rather show a more sleek example of what said Omniframes could potentially look like.
Well, it kinda needs a change of direction from what the current omniframe design is. Instead of having the pilot standing in a cockpit using mimickers to move the parts like is a power loader from the Matrix, Aliens, or one of the AMP suits from Avatar, you would need to have the pilot wear an interface suit and have the parts mounted and linked up on them.

Which I would prefer that 9000% more then the current omniframe design, unless the current design gets itself armored up to be more true mecha.

If implemented as a separate option, I would forgo the omniframe mecha for the power suit simply because it would look a ton better. Sure lacking in armor but that does not matter when you got speed an aerial agility.

Alfonso

Commander
Jul 29, 2016
Ya sorry guys, but open cockpit is the way I think it needs to be. Covering it up makes it much more like a robot and most people have less connection with their pilot this way. You'd basically never see people, unless you invented entire social gameplay mechanics that required it, which is a lot of work just to see your character. Putting your char on a UI screen really only makes it work for you and only when you open up your UI. Others can't see you unless they maybe pull up an inspection UI, which again is not most of the time.
http://crixa.io/2016/08/the-omniframe-a-m-e-k-battlesuit/
"Players can jump in and out of the suit to get to other vehicles in the game such as aircraft and ground vehicles,"
In my understanding, since players don't reside inside of MEK all the time, there is a lot of chances to show off their pretty characters. Why is MEK particularly designed to be the frame of players pretty face? Is the design of aircrafts and ground vehicles going to be on the same track as MEK? A tank with the pilot seat placed on top of the turret?

Movies make this sacrifice all the time. The mechs in Matrix, Edge of Tomorrow (Live, Die, Repeat), Aliens (loader), and in many cases the open helmets and cockpits of movie designs are there to let you see the character and identify one from the other and to see their expressions and humanity and character. This design will let us have far more customization options and a unique look that I think sets us apart...while creating a stronger connection to your friends characters and your own.
One thing I want to point out here is that, those movies didn't become popular because of their revealing machine design. In the movie Matrix, when I saw APU design, I actually was so surprised by the bad design of them but hey, that was what people of Zion chose. It doesn't matter how and what I feel about them.
Games are diferent from movies in my opinion. You participate. You are going to need things that are in the game. You will be the one who have to deal with stupid things in the world.
Think about Band of brothers, for another example. When you are an outsider of the story, Captain Sobel is a hilarious character to watch but if you are one of the character in that story and have to deal with him, it is not fun anymore!

Jul 26, 2016
Ya sorry guys, but open cockpit is the way I think it needs to be. Covering it up makes it much more like a robot and most people have less connection with their pilot this way. You'd basically never see people, unless you invented entire social gameplay mechanics that required it, which is a lot of work just to see your character. Putting your char on a UI screen really only makes it work for you and only when you open up your UI. Others can't see you unless they maybe pull up an inspection UI, which again is not most of the time.
The page on the main site says

"Both the Omniframe and the character will be customizable. The Omniframe can be improved with crafted components both internally and externally. You’ll be able to give it additional functions and abilities with crafted upgrades, improve its jumpjets and glide capability, sensor arrays, replace heads, wings, armor plates, etc. You can create stealth versions, heavy armor versions, mobility based versions, and specialize your Omniframe for any given role"

So could the "heavy armor version" just be the omniframe with a chest plate over the character. As well as any other cost to the benefit of acquiring an omniframe that is tankier than others?

Or like a "light" version that is stronger in the Z axis would have an omniframe that looks like most of it's plating have been stripped away to leave behind a bare skeleton. So an omniframe that actually shows off more of the player character than all of the others.

I like the idea of the omni-frame and that you said we would be able to swap out of frame for other vehicles. It sounds like combat is going to up against creatures from the Monster Hunter series. Gigantic freakin things.

I do think that if the player character can leave the omniframe, the character should be able to still be a fighter. But at a far reduced level. Like with pistol or something and very little defense.It could make some fights interesting in that players would need to leave their omniframe so they can do other tasks while their team is fighting around them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.