The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks awesome, but I gotta say, that's a lot of machinery around the body compared to a "Battleframe". How mobile is it? How fast can it run? I really hope the gameplay with it can be fast and fluid.

Remember the mech from Saints Row 4. That shit was clunky and slow. I pray the Omniframe is nothing like that.
I`m quessing Omnie`s will have same mobility as Titanfall mech`s

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I don't agree with some of peoples responses on here but we are all entitled to individual opinions. Biggest complaint is immersion being impacted by a visual...soooo....a cosmetic then.

Not you Tank with the spine thing, I liked how you responded to my post. I am referring to the expose pilot.

I am more questioning how Mark takes a lot of heat on the firefall core rewrites yet many here are wanting to jump out the gate with wanting a rewrite from an art design that would cut into the limited funding given to start with. If they want to redo the design based on feed back from here, cool. I like how it is, but I'm open to small changes as well. Lets get this thing made. It would show that they are paying attention to the feedback. But if that happens, none of you bastards out there even think about jumping on Kern for changing designs already.

*edit*

One more thing on the design. The legs look heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell armed suits from Stand Alone/Second Gig/Solid State Society. Anyone else see it? Or just me.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Food for thought:
In Firefall, players heads were completely exposed. How come everyone wasn't getting decapitated and having their heads "munched" on? Hmm?

You guys seem to really be "reaching" here. This game is not meant to be a real-life simulator of the future.
I do not know about you but... in Firefall my character wore a full helmet.

I assumed that energy shields would've been the general humanoid (player or mob) equivalent for health, it's not like armor or human flesh can actually withstand much in the terms of punishment, at the end it just boils down to an hp bar ingame.
Well I was looking for more then just shoot the mob in general to deplete its HP bar.

I kinda wanted to see multi layer defense be a thing. Where you want to disable or bypass the shields, break or punch through the armor, to get at the meaty center that actually is the health bar. As that lends itself to creating difficult enemies that are not just bloated HP numbers.

Well its a good thing our Reapers wont be fighting anything sentient. Otherwise once they developed something to bypass energy shields Reaper teams would pop like a balloon left and right with pathetic ease.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I do not know about you but... in Firefall my character wore a full helmet.

Well I was looking for more then just shoot the mob in general to deplete its HP bar.

I kinda wanted to see multi layer defense be a thing. Where you want to disable or bypass the shields, break or punch through the armor, to get at the meaty center that actually is the health bar. As that lends itself to creating difficult enemies that are not just bloated HP numbers.

Well its a good thing our Reapers wont be fighting anything sentient. Otherwise once they developed something to bypass energy shields Reaper teams would pop like a balloon left and right with pathetic ease.
I don't want a direct rip of course, but your words put Mass Effect bars in my mind's eye with health, armor and shields. Is that kind of the idea you mean for multidimensional play? Would fit with customization on the frames based on the planet/environment you are in.

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
I am more questioning how Mark takes a lot of heat on the firefall core rewrites yet many here are wanting to jump out the gate with wanting a rewrite from an art design that would cut into the limited funding given to start with.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. FireFall overhauls were literally months of development team's worth of work, that would be thrown out of window after all the time and effort.

People are jumping on the "redesign" waggon here, because its just art concepts, this is EXACTLY moment when you want to take feedback from your playerbase and actually redesign stuff BEFORE very expensive 3D artist will start pouring hours of work into making models of the thing.

As far as the cosmetic changes that can fix the "exposed pilot" issue... the question here becomes, why does making things look "right" should be cosmetic? Why not start with mecha that looks like what people expect and use to, and then add the cosmetic for people who want to have their character exposed? After all, for the immersion sake, the standard armored mecha would probably be a way to go.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I don't want a direct rip of course, but your words put Mass Effect bars in my mind's eye with health, armor and shields. Is that kind of the idea you mean for multidimensional play? Would fit with customization on the frames based on the planet/environment you are in.
In my mind Shields would kinda be like a health bar that covers the entire form of the enemy, but some weapon types are good at outright bypassing, penetrating, or just overwhelming shields. Armor would be underneath that would need to be broken down to reveal weakpoints. Not that you need to blast the entire armor layer off the body (which is what ME has you effectively do as its a HP bar), but basically "tunnel" to a soft spot. Effectively creating locational damage points. Certain weapon or enemy types would be effective at punching through armor, or melting it off, or bypassing it through sci-fi shenanigans (psionic mindfuckery, etc).

Then under all that would be the juicy bits that comprise of the most vulnerable systems/fleshy bits that enable the mob/player to survive.

In an Omniframe's case that would be the player pilot, or the power core. If either of those were to fall then the omniframe is basically toast. Core goes down and the player would have to hop out and use a personal defense weapon, player goes down then well, that depends on how the revive mechanics will be approached. If the player is no outright killed then we are looking at a disabled omniframe that is gonna get shredded without the ability to defend itself.

Not every mob would have every kind of defense. Some would be just Health/Shields, Health/Armor, or maybe its not biological at all. A Machine where you just need to either break the power core or render it a non-issue that shuts itself off, but basically just Armor/Shields. Or what if its some wierd kind of energy being thing you need to harvest? Pure shields.

I like it but I don't like how open it is in the middle is the lore or something say that there is a shield? or is that an open version. I also think it should change its looks according to how you build your frame such as more armor if you build like a mammoth in firefall or more jets and servos if you build mobility. But this is just an opinion lol

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Armor would be underneath that would need to be broken down to reveal weakpoints. Not that you need to blast the entire armor layer off the body (which is what ME has you effectively do as its a HP bar), but basically "tunnel" to a soft spot. Effectively creating locational damage points.

Not every mob would have every kind of defense. Some would be just Health/Shields, Health/Armor, or maybe its not biological at all. A Machine where you just need to either break the power core or render it a non-issue that shuts itself off, but basically just Armor/Shields.
Now you have me thinking of the depth Horizon Zero Dawn is using.

Grammaton

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
Kyle, TX, USA
In my mind Shields would kinda be like a health bar that covers the entire form of the enemy, but some weapon types are good at outright bypassing, penetrating, or just overwhelming shields. Armor would be underneath that would need to be broken down to reveal weakpoints. Not that you need to blast the entire armor layer off the body (which is what ME has you effectively do as its a HP bar), but basically "tunnel" to a soft spot. Effectively creating locational damage points. Certain weapon or enemy types would be effective at punching through armor, or melting it off, or bypassing it through sci-fi shenanigans (psionic mindfuckery, etc).

Then under all that would be the juicy bits that comprise of the most vulnerable systems/fleshy bits that enable the mob/player to survive.

In an Omniframe's case that would be the player pilot, or the power core. If either of those were to fall then the omniframe is basically toast. Core goes down and the player would have to hop out and use a personal defense weapon, player goes down then well, that depends on how the revive mechanics will be approached. If the player is no outright killed then we are looking at a disabled omniframe that is gonna get shredded without the ability to defend itself.

Not every mob would have every kind of defense. Some would be just Health/Shields, Health/Armor, or maybe its not biological at all. A Machine where you just need to either break the power core or render it a non-issue that shuts itself off, but basically just Armor/Shields. Or what if its some wierd kind of energy being thing you need to harvest? Pure shields.
I like where you are going with this and it's solidly in keeping with some more detailed RPG and tabletop battle system elements. Those are a big driver towards my comments in this thread so far.

Last edited:

Grammaton

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
Kyle, TX, USA
I like it but I don't like how open it is in the middle is the lore or something say that there is a shield? or is that an open version. I also think it should change its looks according to how you build your frame such as more armor if you build like a mammoth in firefall or more jets and servos if you build mobility. But this is just an opinion lol
If you take a look at the link Grummz provided in the OP, you'll see the bit about the energy shield. From what he has said on this subject so far, the open design is based on "humanizing" the MEK in order to allow the player to better connect and identify with their character during play. I, personally, do not see this element of the visual design for the MEK having that sort of impact. I see it creating many more design problems (for both the RPG and the video game) than it attempts to solve.

ChinoGreen

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Texas
Dude I love that thing already.

Can we also have a protection option during a battle ? 'Cuz we puny hoomans. When we are out of battle we can walk around like in the current (awesome) pictures . Would add more to the games immersion , cant have too much of that.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Dude I love that thing already.

Can we also have a protection option during a battle ? 'Cuz we puny hoomans. When we are out of battle we can walk around like in the current (awesome) pictures . Would add more to the games immersion , cant have too much of that.

Ok now I think you are on to an idea. Open look between combat but in combat have a rib like plating close over the pilot then reflect the imagery of shielding buzzing between the ribs. Maybe a hotkey set up for manual activation. aka drawing/holstering a weapon.

ChinoGreen

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Texas
Ok now I think you are on to an idea. Open look between combat but in combat have a rib like plating close over the pilot then reflect the imagery of shielding buzzing between the ribs. Maybe a hotkey set up for manual activation. aka drawing/holstering a weapon.
yes YES AND YES!!!!!!!!!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Very different concepts. Science fiction is just that and should always be grounded in what is plausible based on what we already know. If it's not, then you're dealing with fantasy fiction.

Additionally, theories for FTL travel have existed for decades and are supported (increasingly) by what we actually do know of our physical reality. The lore of Firefall was fairly solidly grounded in science fiction to the extent that only crystite was fantastic, though certainly possible given what we know of physics, similar to the idea of dilitium crystals in Star Trek (nevermind that Star Trek seems to completely ignore general relativity).
FTL has one huge problem in "real science" and that is it violates causality. Event B can occur before event A to observer C. Nobody talks about this much, but it makes FTL travel pretty much impossible in real physics. But what fun would that be!

For those who like relativity, frames of reference and enjoy headaches:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/37wxbe/how_does_moving_faster_than_light_violate/

Last edited:

Firemoth

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
<offTopic>
speed = distance/time.

if you have some point that's distance++; away, and you want to get there in a narrative-useful time, the usual way of dealing with that is by Going Really Fast. classically speaking that's your garden-variety FTL/hyperspace and analogous tech.
Option B is to do something about the distance, using Warp drives, wormholes or using your Go Really Fast juice to "do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs".
The third option would make the time component largely irrelevant. Suspended animation is probably the most common example of that method, or "tune in next week for ____". Author Karl Schroeder wrote a novella called Lockstep using hypersleep-style suspended animation as a plot device. i liked it buy YMMV.

</offTopic>

MEKMEKMEKMEK...

Status
Not open for further replies.