Suggestion for Omniframe "Class" System: Combing the Tech Tree with Limitless Choice

Yay or Nay?

• Total voters

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Alright, lemme stop a particular train right here. We need to throw the concept of "T1 and T2, etc" out the window right now.
There were a LOT of responses to this thread and I will get to all responses slowly, but I want to clear this up first since this is a fundamental thing.
The tiers have no sort of vertical progression involved. The tech tree is simply a format of unlocking new gear. The tiers are simply ways to categorize them. You play T1 to unlock T2 stuff, which isn't more powerful. Unlocking stuff in higher tiers simply means more options, and "kits" are a way to group them.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
There were a LOT of responses to this thread and I will get to all responses slowly, but I want to clear this up first since this is a fundamental thing.
The tiers have no sort of vertical progression involved. The tech tree is simply a format of unlocking new gear. The tiers are simply ways to categorize them. You play T1 to unlock T2 stuff, which isn't more powerful. Unlocking stuff in higher tiers simply means more options, and "kits" are a way to group them.
Your heart's in the right place and we're on the same side here; I'm just saying that using the terminology of T1 and T2, etc. is dangerous because it creates a psychological effect we've seen enough of already and need to avoid. Higher number=bigger=better in the minds of the average brain; therefore I find it unwise to use such jargon when trying to express our intent. Semantics to some, but in my experience, semantics can make all the difference in the long run.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Your heart's in the right place and we're on the same side here; I'm just saying that using the terminology of T1 and T2, etc. is dangerous because it creates a psychological effect we've seen enough of already and need to avoid. Higher number=bigger=better in the minds of the average brain; therefore I find it unwise to use such jargon when trying to express our intent. Semantics to some, but in my experience, semantics can make all the difference in the long run.
Ok I get it, makes sense.

Jul 27, 2016
A truly classless system is like winning the lottery or getting that trophy girlfriend.

It sounds great, until you actually get there.

This is what it would look like imo;

Wow, really? What a bitch, Who the fuck buys her daughter a Lexus, Jesus, couldn't she have bought a better car like Mercedes or a BMW?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wrote about this topic before:

My whish........

Just one frame with one huge teck-tree. Each branch/ability costs xp to unlock and once unlocked allows you to unlock further more advanced/niche abilities. After unlocking a branch you can buy leaves for that abilities that enhance it. For example: extra mod-slots, supplementary passive effects upon use,... There are 4 (or more) trees: Offense, defense, support, utility,...

After unlocking an ability you can lvl up the ability simply by using it. These lvls are called proficiency Levels (PL). PLs unlock mostly cosmetic changes and add small boost in stats up to a certain point. You can unlock every ability but you'll only be good at them if you actually use them. These PLs aren't unlocked by xp but by completing multiple tasks. example. Deal 10kk Dmg in total. kill 10k enemies with that ability. get 500 multi kills with that ability. fly 10km upwards with that abilities.

Why?
because releasing a new ability each patch is way easier then developing a whole frame.

Balance?
Each frame has 100 points for each discipline (Offense, defense, support, utility)
Each ability costs point in one or multiple disciplines. Example: Teleport would eat up points in both Offense, defense and utility).
Ability points cost can be reduced by unlocking leafs in the ability-unlock-tree or by proficiency Levels.
If you make the frame modular in terms of generator, armor, etc. then you can increase the available points by adding a heavier engine at the cost of movement speed.
Not all engine are the same. Some engines give more offensive points at the cost of others as an example.

Have some points in excesses?
Give each ability a multiplier that multiplies the ability stats and point cost. If you want to you can use up all your points on one ability with a big multiplier.

monetization?
Sell alternative ability effects/color pallets. Example: replace boring blue lightning from a shockwave ability with purple lightning with black outlines for only 1.49$.

... ... ...

You have 4 caps (100 points for each discipline)in place to limit your power, just like we had mass, power and CPU limits back in FF beta. Depending on what type of engine you use you get other distribution of points.

Some engine examples:
Behemoth engine: 70 Off, 130Def, 130 Supp, 70Util.
valkyrie engine: 150 Off, 50 Def, 80 Supp, 120Util.

Some ability examples:
heavy sentry: cost of 80 Util, 50Def, 30 Supp
Carpet Bombing: cost of 80 Off, 10 Util.

Notice how you won't be able to use Heavy sentry with the Behemoth engine. In order to create extreme broken builds you require special engine that prevent you from using other abilities making them unbroken

Want classes in a class-less game???? Juts hide the classes behind numbers XD MUhahahah.

I assume you read up on my points system with limiting Offense, Defense, support and utility. Let me elaborate more on it.

If we throw in passive boosts (like perks from FF), primary and secondary weapons into the point system and let those passives and weapons also cost points then it could be balanced easily. Give a player 10 slots and let him fill it up with as many weapons, passive and abilities as he likes as long as he stays within the 4 limits being "Offense", "Defense", "support" and "utility". Lets call them the 4 attributes. passives cost the least, weapons cost somewhat more and abilities the most. If you want to play as an Ember magician then you can will everything up with abilities but you'll have exhausted all your points by your fifth ability and won't have any weapons or passives. You can go fully loaded with guns but guns are kind of heavy and you'll miss out on those sweet abilities and passive boosts. If you want you can go full passive with melee only. Whatever flouts your boat.

From the start every players has 100 points in each attribute he can spend on abilities, passives and weaponry. The way you specialize in one of the attributes is by equipping gear such as motors, armor plating, pistons, thrusters,etc. that increase one attribute at the cost of decreasing the other. Heavier equipment give slightly more points but increase your hitbox size and make you slower.

limiting it with "mass", "energy" and "CPU" (like some suggested from FF) is to me arbitrary but if you limit at the root of the problem by directly limiting the attributes you make it impossible to attain the holy trinity.

some clarification:
Offense: Raw damage output, damage enhancers, elemental mods.
Defense: armor increases, shields, invulnerability, elemental resistances, damage negations.
support: buffing other players, healing other players, enhancing stats of other players, anything that interacts with other players, AOE, crouwdcontroll, stun, aggro-takers.
utility: self help like movement enhancers, non damage dealing deployables, barriers, self support, self heal.

if an ability, belongs in multiple categories then it'll cost points in all those categories. Some examples from FF would be:
Afterburner: heavy utility.
heavy turret: Offense and support
trailblazer: Support and utility
thunderdome: Defense, support and utility
Fusioncanon: Offense and support
Necrotic Bite perk: Offense
Invigorate perk: Offense and support.
Explosive Rounds: Offense and support(because of AOE)
Health Surge perk: utility

Now all we have to do is add perks and weapons to the progression tree and we're set. ^_^

(my advice, don't copy over FF abilities, perks or weapons, they are crappy and unbalanced, better start making your own unlique stuff like FF never existed)

Here is an example of how I image the Ember progression tree to look like. It's a teck-tree from "Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth"

... ... ...

It wans't a bad system it's just that those 3 numbers don't have any meaning, it doesn't reflect on anything. If I told you that an ability uses up X Mass, Y energy and Z CPU you wouldn't be able to extract any information from it other then it beeing highend gear or low end gear. How do you even dictate how much mass energy or CPU a gear uses up?

In my system if I tel you that an ability uses up W Offensive, X defensive, Y support and Z utility points then you have the foilowing information:
W is based on how much damage it deals. The higher the W the more damage it deals and vice versa.
X is based on how good it is on keeping you alive. The higher the X the longer you'll survive.
Y is based on how good you are able to prevent damage to your team and sustain your alies. The higher your Y the more your team is able to take on.
Z is based on hou much you'll be able to sustain yourself apart from armor, The higher your Z the faster and versatile you are.

The energy/mass/CPU system is roughly the same as the 4 atributes system because energy mass and CPU is chosen based on the 4 attributes by the devs. The 4 attributes is essentially more primitive and complex then the M/E/CPU but is more flexible.

Lets say that an ability needs to be nurfed or buffed? with the 4 attributes system you'd just need to adjust one of the 4 numbers. if it deals to much damage but you don't want to touch the Damage then increase the offensive cost. If a movement ability is too weak but you don't want to change the speed then you can Decrease the utility cost. tweaking the 4 attributes feels intuitivly easeyer to tweak in balancing then in E/M/C system.

Ok, I'll elaborate more on that too then.
Gear like armor plates, servos, thrusters, engines, (maybe helmet, maybe arm guard, maybe leg guard...) change multiple stuf. they change the balance of the 4 attributes. for example:
Equipping "hardened armor plates" give you extra HP and a bonus in the defensive attribute but your utility points will be decreased. this item has more mass and volume, there fore your hitboxes are larger and you move slower.
Equipping "light armor" reduces your HP and defensive attribute points but you get more points in (for example) offensive attribute. because this armor is lighter and has less volume you have smaller hitboxes and move faster.
Equipping "blazing engine" reduces support and utility points but significantly increase your offensive points.
Equipping a heavier version of the same item gives you a bigger bonus and a smaller penalty but makes you heavier and therefore bigger hitboxes and lower speeds.

In summary: you have 4 attributes with a hard cap. Omniframe mods move the these caps up and down. Omniframe mods all have their own mass and volume. The heavier you are the slower you are. The more volume a mod takes up the larger your hitboxes become (this also changes the visuals of the omniframe and makes your character bigger)

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Nice idea, but you are using tags wrong. Look at most of my threads, that's how to use tags properly ;)

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
A truly classless system is like winning the lottery or getting that trophy girlfriend.

Bullshit, its not that hard
You don't see it in 99% of the MMOs because classes are lazy and easy

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Also, we need to stop thinking in terms of "healer, tank, DPS." We really need to just full stop on that. It is, hands down, the single most limiting and chafing design choice one can make in this day and age.
I just quote this here for truth.

The problem here is that MMO have been doing the "class" system for soooooooooo long now, almost three decades? That people have like extremely hard time thinking outside that engraved design.

Freedom of character build, from customization, to your armor, weapon and ability is what we need. No classes, tiers, frames, other bullshit that is basically developers telling you "here I think this is best gameplay style for you". Give me even dozens of pieces that I can build a character from, and I will do it myself. The best part is, that you still will be able to build your healers, and tanks, and dps guys, but you wouldn't have to be if you don't want to, and even if you go for those "standards" I bet with diversity in weapons, armor, and abilities that can be mixed and matched together, there will be many builds of each "class"

The hardest part about having such freedom of character build is balance. Balancing so many pieces that can be mixed and match together can be a bitch, but that's why they start slow, they start with basic "jack of all trades master of none" patterns, and then diverge into more specific areas aimed at particular style of gameplay, one weapon, armor piece and ability at a time.

Ember (after early FireFall) wants to be the only game that wants to pull off this awesome concept of skill based shooter in a open world. That is absolutely fantastic and unique, very little games come close to doing so. That said, it totally pains me to think that even this game will succumb to the class system, like thousands of mmos before it. I mean devs will do what they think works best for the game, but it would be a bummer, and a missed opportunity.

P

PCMasterReece

I mean, I'd be pretty upset if I got given a Lexus SC430.

Like come on woman, there is much better Convertible cars out there. The Honda S2000 for example.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I still feel we need to dump the whole "personal tech tree" idea about as much as we need to dump the all holy trinity. Having unlocks be a main part of the global community by stemming from building a base is IMO a much better option. It would also be where the big resource dump in the game would lie.

I mean, I'd be pretty upset if I got given a Lexus SC430.

Like come on woman, there is much better Convertible cars out there. The Honda S2000 for example.
Miata for life!!!

Niryco

Jul 29, 2016
Can we just start from the basic? Like how to deal with challenges in game from something as simple as an enemy and work from there?

Like is it the real basic shoot 3 shots and they die? Do they have hp? Must they have weakspots? How can people overcome an enemy other than using a gun and just shooting? How can an enemy overcome a player, by shooting them too? Can the player mitigate or attempt to resist being overcome, same with enemies?

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
I guess it could go either way in a classless game.

The negative side being that it would be difficult to balance as some abilities would definitely get favoritism, so even though there would be more options less would actually get used. The other being that classes kinda represent personality types imo and this would be lost (like we had with the Firecat and Tigerclaw)

The positive being that no one can complain about another class having X or Y advantage over them, but since you could switch at any time in FF anyway i'm sure they'll find something else to complain about. Like particular guns or abilities.

Or worse, particular combos.

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
@Sn0wfIak3 if individual abilities are being a problem they can be teak. If certain ability combos over perform they can be looked into for tweaking.

Path of Exile which has no class system does have cases of meta builds, if they overperform then they are looked into and necessary changes are done which forces builds to adapt and keep the meta build from overtaking everything.

One cannot eliminate whining, that is an impossibility.

Ability favoritism would come from their design. This would be true regardless of a class based or classless system.

Dremor

Jul 27, 2016
As some seems to want a tier system, and other a classless system.

Each system have it's own good and bad points. But done right, an hybrid from the two could be a good idea. In my opinion, The Secret World progression system is a good example of such hybrid progression system.

More info on the system on this blog post : http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/feature/6219/The-Freeform-Progression-System.html/page/1

As an illustration, here is a very fast draft as such system, that could be applied to Ember (and Firefall, RIP).

System: You can select a yellow zone, and two blue zone (plus the green one which is always available). With that, you have to create your own build. Will you play a sniper with supports abilities (long-range DPS + support), a close-range bonus support (tank + bonus support), or some sort of self-regenerating heavy tank (tanky-tank + support)? Make it your own way.

You have freedom to build every class you could imagine, while having to rely on your team-mate to provide what you lack.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
When you have a robust enough system of individual pieces, there's no need for "classes" to exist as a choice; people will discover them on their own. However, having "suggestions" available so players can simply pick an archetypal set of abilities with one click would be a great convenience for those who want it without stepping on anyone else's toes.

Perhaps a suggested optimization system would be good. Let's envision this for a moment.

Let's say a player decides "my squad needs a good healer for this mission." He clicks a button and his 'garage/hangar/whatever' picks out a set of gear straight optimized for maximum healing. He then makes adjustments based on his taste, perhaps better boosters for less firepower or better health for less move speed or whatever...and off he goes to heal for his squad.

All we really need from the class system is the ability to pick a suggested setup with one click. If a tech system allows that, but doesn't constrain us to it, I think we'll have the happy medium we need.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
What I might suggest is that at the very beginning of the game there should be a merchant who would sell "kits". These kits would be groups of complementary mods/abilities that go together to form what might be considered "class", however the player can pick and choose whether to use all of them, or to purchase multiple kits to mix and match. This way a starting player will have something familiar to base their choices off of.

If they enjoy playing as a sniper then they can buy a sniper kit, but perhaps they also want a heal so they might purchase a medic kit and take one of the heal abilities from it...