Omniframe Hard Driver Mode - NEW art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manwild

Deepscanner
Jul 29, 2016
This being an option to enable/disable, will everyone else around you see if you have chosen the open or closed style or only yourself?
Not fussed about the change. If it was implemented from the start, I'd doubt anyone would want or mention having an open frame.
Your creating unecessary work for yourselves having to compile open and closed frames. Pick one or the other.
Are we getting mirrors on the battlefield when in combat. I could see ppl on timeout for a grooming session. You won't be able to see yourself from the front without them.

Sud Monkey

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Not fussed about the change. If it was implemented from the start, I'd doubt anyone would want or mention having an open frame.
Your creating unecessary work for yourselves having to compile open and closed frames. Pick one or the other.
Are we getting mirrors on the battlefield when in combat. I could see ppl on timeout for a grooming session. You won't be able to see yourself from the front without them.
What I mean is: If you were to disable closed frame and I were to enable closed frame would I see your frame as open or closed? I'm guessing I'd see your open frame and you'd see my closed frame. Just curious if this feature is local or shared.

Edit: FYI, open frame all the way so I can flaunt my spanking new clothes :cool:

Btabc

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately the back design seems a little "stiff" to me?! Doesn't look like it'll move much... yet alone move at all! I liked having the spine or something similar to that that gave the back a feeling like it could move. What if the plates overlapped creating a look that'll make it feel less stiff?

Here's a example:

It's not the overlapping plates like I was discussing, but it's something that I feel MIGHT fit into this design while also providing full coverage for those who don't want the exposed cockpit :)

Or something similar to Ironmans back:

(below the shoulder blades including the spine)

How's everyone feel about these?

(I'd draw what I mean, but unfortunately my drawing program is down atm) :(

Last edited:

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
What I mean is: If you were to disable closed frame and I were to enable closed frame would I see your frame as open or closed? I'm guessing I'd see your open frame and you'd see my closed frame. Just curious if this feature is local or shared.

Edit: FYI, open frame all the way so I can flaunt my spanking new clothes :cool:
This is actually a really good question, but considering how mmos usually work and the fact that this is more of a visual customization, I would guess that the frame look is a shared stat. That would add nice visual diversity for the players from the get go, as you would see people making a decision to go with one or the other look.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
claptraps are hyperion made, you aren't switching over to the competition are you Joey?
The C4P-TP model, aka claptrap, was put out of production, so NO. I'll just grab Claptrap, rip of his wheel and use it AS A HEAD FOR MY OMNIFRAME.

I'LL REVERSE INGENIEUR THE F*CK OUT OF HIM AND PRODUCE MY OWN VERSION. WITH LOT OF EXPLOSION.
And that tin can will shout ALLAHU TORGUE

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Looks good!

Just throwing this out there, but the design of assault/dread backpacks were really cool and I hope that we can have the visual options for something similar on our omnimeks

(I like the combination of bulk and lighting)
Made a quick example, spiced up the glowy parts a bit.
dreadbackpackmek.jpg dread backpack 1.jpg

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Nice surprise! I knew the game would get something(s) other than the original open pilot idea but I didn't expect anything to arrive so soon. Very cool initial options! Covers the 2 core groups (open/close pilot) similar to 1st/3rd person view...cater to both. :)

Jul 26, 2016
the only gripe i had was that the 'spine' of the thing seemed very flimsy compared to the upper and lower portions.
this certainly addresses those wildly varying proportions. more than i'd bargained for but cool beans.

options for personal preferences are neato.

people complained loud and for long enough that the Ember team spent time and effort making this revision to please them.

I fear people like to push the envelope to try and get more and more of what they want to see.
oh no! people had a not 100% supportive opinion and it wasn't disregarded as irrelevant. how awful, multiple choices to support different types of people.
i wonder why in games Controls are rebindable, why Graphics can be adjusted, why Volume levels can be adjusted... obviously if one doesn't like the default way things are, they must be the work of satan!

hopefully the illogicality seems obvious.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
The C4P-TP model, aka claptrap, was put out of production, so NO. I'll just grab Claptrap, rip of his wheel and use it AS A HEAD FOR MY OMNIFRAME.

I'LL REVERSE INGENIEUR THE F*CK OUT OF HIM AND PRODUCE MY OWN VERSION. WITH LOT OF EXPLOSION.
And that tin can will shout ALLAHU TORGUE
Not to cast a stone from my giant glass house next to the rock quarry or anything but sometimes you just seem crazy. I can relate to crazy as sometimes the things I say or think even surprise me.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Looks good!

Just throwing this out there, but the design of assault/dread backpacks were really cool and I hope that we can have the visual options for something similar on our omnimeks

(I like the combination of bulk and lighting)
Made a quick example, spiced up the glowy parts a bit.
View attachment 358 View attachment 355
While I don't anticipate further changes, I'm so intrigued by how many members have drawing/3D skills here. Ty.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Same "you'll never see your front" argument was made on the WoW team many times by 1st person advocates (remember, other MMOs were 1st person then) who complained that only ever saw your back all the time. We actually were going to create a deployable mirror in world so you could see front of char. In the end, we decided the paper doll view was enough.

So, I don't think much of this line of reasoning, having been down it before. People will see other people's front views, and that's enough vanity for people to want to customize their "pilots" I've been down this road before, and WoW proved to me that people like to show off to others more than they care about never seeing their own "front"

I don't regret going open cockpit at all and disagree its a waste. It's the game I want to play, therefore I'll do a better job making it. I've just given an option for those who see it another way, and not an expensive option to produce.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Unfortunately the back design seems a little "stiff" to me?! Doesn't look like it'll move much... yet alone move at all! I liked having the spine or something similar to that that gave the back a feeling like it could move. What if the plates overlapped creating a look that'll make it feel less stiff?

Here's a example:

It's not the overlapping plates like I was discussing, but it's something that I feel MIGHT fit into this design while also providing full coverage for those who don't want the exposed cockpit :)

Or something similar to Ironmans back:

(below the shoulder blades including the spine)

How's everyone feel about these?

(I'd draw what I mean, but unfortunately my drawing program is down atm) :(
Its going to be a trick to animate the current version. Will think about it.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
While I don't anticipate further changes, I'm so intrigued by how many members have drawing/3D skills here. Ty.
Yeah I think it'd get way too busy as a base model if you added a backpack. I was just suggesting it as a future cosmetic option that we could buy :3.

I don't know about anyone else, but Firefall's art style got me into drawing/3D skills. I made a recon battleframe concept with MSPaint first, then I discovered paint.net lol.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Yeah I think it'd get way too busy as a base model if you added a backpack. I was just suggesting it as a future cosmetic option that we could buy :3.

I don't know about anyone else, but Firefall's art style got me into drawing/3D skills. I made a recon battleframe concept with MSPaint first, then I discovered paint.net lol.
Nice skillz there.

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
the only gripe i had was that the 'spine' of the thing seemed very flimsy compared to the upper and lower portions.
this certainly addresses those wildly varying proportions. more than i'd bargained for but cool beans.

options for personal preferences are neato.

oh no! people had a not 100% supportive opinion and it wasn't disregarded as irrelevant. how awful, multiple choices to support different types of people.
i wonder why in games Controls are rebindable, why Graphics can be adjusted, why Volume levels can be adjusted... obviously if one doesn't like the default way things are, they must be the work of satan!

hopefully the illogicality seems obvious.
Hopefully you'll read the rest of my posts next time, so you actually understand the point I was trying to get across.

So let me try again.

On a side note, your comparisons are ridiculous. Volume control? Please.

Here's a great comparison for you:

Oh, I want jumpjets on the Omniframe feet now too, not the back. So, really small Ember team, will you spend even more of your time making an option to put jumpjets on the feet instead of the back? I want the option. Spending more of your valuable time to put jumpjets on the feet instead so that I can be happy, clearly is the right thing to do. Right? Right. :D

Hopefully the slippery slope of trying to please everyone seems obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.