The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
infinite stratos has near zero chest armor and massive legs and pieces hovering around doing their own buisness, it looks fairly similiar to the omniframe concept if you totally remove the chest chassis, i think that personally it would look even less fitting for a sniper unless you're sniping with this
Nah, not a gun that large.

The earlier anime versions of the IS suits are actually considerably smaller and more compact. Especially compared to the 3rd generation ones. Cecilia Alcott's Blue Tears is specifically designed around long range sniping and remote drones. Much like some of the Gundams that show up in Gundam 00.

They are also more visibly appealing then the omniframe. I guess for me if you are going to go mecha, go full mecha. Otherwise go power suit. Don't try to meet in the middle because it just does not work, or look, right.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
infinite stratos has near zero chest armor and massive legs and pieces hovering around doing their own buisness, it looks fairly similiar to the omniframe concept if you totally remove the chest chassis, i think that personally it would look even less fitting for a sniper unless you're sniping with this

not in that sense, the female assault boots simply don't have any connection to the reactor piece and the chest armor has zero structural support so the reactor would basically break your spine at any attempt to jumpjet

i stand corrected regards to the mechwarrior thing, anyways 11 km/h is not that low for a thing that looks very bulky

This suit is completly FUBAR. Typical anime design - fk the reason/physics/placeX. It just designed to look badass and expose as much girl's body as possible to cause nosebleedings. Yea, I know Mark likes anime, so do I. But I hoped his omniframe design could be more elaborated than mediocre anime template. :(

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
This suit is completly FUBAR. Typical anime design - fk the reason/physics/placeX. It just designed to look badass and expose as much girl's body as possible to cause nosebleedings. Yea, I know Mark likes anime, so do I. But I hoped his omniframe design could be more elaborated than generic anime template. :(
Typical anime design is basically Science Fantasy or really really light Science Fiction. While a good chunk of it runs on Rule of Cool or Rule of Fanservice, other chunks do have a decent bit of (attempted) science behind it.

Actually @Grummz are you aiming more for Science Fantasy or what level of Science Fiction (Hard/Light) for Ember?

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hey I know a few of you don't like the direction of the Omniframe. I just ask you keep an open mind and judge it by how it plays. I know I'm super excited and motivated by it, and that can only make for a better game. And to answer the question, the game is more science fantasy than hard sci-fi.

Remember, the poster was made before any game pitch was made, just to judge interest and then later raise $500 for a website and forums where we can have arguments like this :)

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
i guess most of the final look will be depending on player choice of play..as in make a full closed one for "dreads" and an open one for "engis and recons". that said, i also think that how the "equipment screen" will look will also determine more facts about it that are not yet visible, such as for example weapons and abilities...as i said before in my email i like the way it looks, and to me that's enough for now.
when i see it in action, then i'll argue wether it serves it's purpose on not.
seems the biggest issue with most of the people here...is that they expected FF v2.0...agreed, i also thought along those lines when i saw the poster but that's no reason at all to shoot the Omni down before we're even strapped in...
:D

Jul 27, 2016
What would you guys think if the head covered the pilots head?
(quick edit - ignore proportions)

AnimatedGif800px.jpg

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
In a perfect world, we would offer options for everyone to do anything. But we don't have a budget, we don't even have Firefall's budget. We have, as of today $3000 (which we used to pay for the website software, concept art time and backer fulfillment, etc.). I have to plan for that and not commit to saying "yes, we can do xyz option no problem!" Because every piece of art, chunk of armor, feature, and slider costs hundreds of not thousands to make. I'd rather offer fewer things, at higher quality, and focused on gameplay, than 1000 options.

So if I sound hesitant on "why not just make it an option" its because we have to be very frugal. Ember is going to be have to be different simply because of math and dollars. I'm just trying to find creative ways that satisfy me as a creator to keep to the general principles of Firefall and match my original, but Ember will still be very different in execution. It has to be. Firefall cost over 60 million to make, while we have $3000. Firefall had a 150 person team, we have 2-3 part time people right now, and our team size will probably never exceed around 15 people. We can be true to Firefall's spirit, but there is no way we can be Firefall 2.0 and match them option for option, feature for feature. Nor should we, Firefall ended up being a huge mish-mash of half-completed features going in a thousand different directions.

Imagine if we drew a concept of the recon frame and said "this is it! The one and only frame for Ember!" (because that's all this game can realistically afford: is developing one universal look of frame). We would have even more people in here that really miss their Assault and Arsenal frames.

Omniframes have fast movement, gliding, jumpets and preserve the mobility "feel" of Firefall, which IMHO was the most important part of that aspect of frames. The gameplay trumps all.

Meanwhile, I'm spending a lot of time figuring out how to do things in new ways to keep costs down and offer more. We're looking heavily into procedural tools for terrain, texturing, photogrammetry techniques for 3D modeling, and motion capture for animation. We're also looking at radical ways to keep server hardware costs down for a type of online game that is traditionally extremely CPU heavy (action shooting, etc.), so that Ember does not require huge monthly server costs and a team of 8 dedicated IT staff to run (like Firefall did just to keep servers running).

I think we can do it. I'm more encouraged each time I see the support grow in the community. But remember, its still going to be a "mini" massive online game.

Last edited:

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
In a perfect world, we would offer options for everyone to do anything. But we don't have a budget, we don't even have Firefall's budget. We have, as of today $3000 (which we used to pay for the website software, concept art time and backer fulfillment, etc.). I have to plan for that and not commit to saying "yes, we can do xyz option no problem!" Because every piece of art, chunk of armor, feature, and slider costs hundreds of not thousands to make. I'd rather offer fewer things, at higher quality, and focused on gameplay, than 1000 options.

So if I sound hesitant on "why not just make it an option" its because we have to be very frugal. Ember is going to be have to be different simply because of math and dollars. I'm just trying to find creative ways that satisfy me as a creator to keep to the general principles of Firefall and match my original, but Ember will still be very different in execution. It has to be. Firefall cost over 60 million to make, while we have $3000. Firefall had a 150 person team, we have 2-3 part time people right now, and our team size will probably never exceed around 15 people. We can be true to Firefall's spirit, but there is no way we can be Firefall 2.0 and match them option for option, feature for feature.

Imagine if we drew a concept of the recon frame and said "this is it! The one and only frame for Ember!" (because that's all this game can realistically afford: is developing one universal look of frame). We would have even more people in here that really miss their Assault and Arsenal frames.

Omniframes have fast movement, gliding, jumpets and preserve the mobility "feel" of Firefall, which IMHO was the most important part of that aspect of frames. The gameplay trumps all.

Meanwhile, I'm spending a lot of time figuring out how to do things in new ways to keep costs down and offer more. We're looking heavily into procedural tools for terrain, texturing, photogrammetry techniques for 3D modeling, and motion capture for animation. We're also looking at radical ways to keep server hardware costs down for a type of MMO that is traditionally extremely CPU heavy (action shooting, etc.), so that Ember does not require huge monthly server costs and a team of 8 dedicated IT staff to run (like Firefall did just to keep servers running).

I think we can do it. I'm more encouraged each time I see the support grow in the community. But remember, its still going to be a "mini" MMO.
Grummz, believe me, we are behind you 1000% and want this project to get off the ground as much as you do. We all have our individual opinions on just about everything but I for one will support the game's development whether I like a part of it or not.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
TY! Just trying to manage expectations and not let hype get out of proportion to the game. :)

Grummz, believe me, we are behind you 1000% and want this project to get off the ground as much as you do. We all have our individual opinions on just about everything but I for one will support the game's development whether I like a part of it or not.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
no "just cause" grappling hook then? :(

anyways if you want my 2c i'd say "off with the head", one head is enough and i don't think anyone disagrees with it, it's not a big problem for me but it's kinda weird having it up there.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
...it's not a big problem for me but it's kinda weird having it up there.
Yeah I think I see what you mean by "weird". Lose it and perhaps drop the shoulders of the MEK down just a tad? Although losing the head/face of the MEK may also mean losing that part for cosmetic customization too...

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Yeah I think I see what you mean by "weird". Lose it and perhaps drop the shoulders of the MEK down just a tad? Although losing the head/face of the MEK may also mean losing that part for cosmetic customization too...
maybe they could sell it separately as a cosmetic so people that want it can get it?

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
can u all just quit this approach...
instead of whining about the head can't u just imagine/ask for sensory abilities/equipment to be slotted in the head part of the equipment screen, same as weapons go in hands (or are shoulder mounted).
it seems that many of you, instead of offering suggestions are just "drawing water to your own mill" as the saying goes (or smt.)

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
instead of whining about the head can't u just imagine/ask for sensory abilities/equipment to be slotted in the head part of the equipment screen, same as weapons go in hands (or are shoulder mounted).
it seems that many of you, instead of offering suggestions are just "drawing water to your own mill" as the saying goes (or smt.)
who ever suggests to do things that they don't want to be done? "drawing water to your own mill" is the essence of a suggestion, if i don't want the head why on earth would i suggest features to be added to it? your reply makes no sense to me

Jul 26, 2016
yeah! That's what I'm thinking when I saw that head...
this is from one of the Armored Core games and each head was different, gave different abilities or enhanced the abilities already on the mech.

or like in Mechwarrior

either one is great examples of customizable mechs that alter gameplay based on how you customize it.

For example... let's say your omniframe can put down AI controlled turrets but you would really like to control the targeting yourself... ... so you change the head part out and you get turret control at the cost of whatever your head was doing before ... like radar or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.