DevTracker

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Since those videos were put out in 2013, a time when certain departures from Grummz original vision were happening, there is a certain amount of uncertainty on how accurately these videos represent the original concept of firefall.

Perhaps Grummz will shed some light on that if and when he has the time.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I see people confusing the Guildwars 2 dynamic event system with Firefall's. They were very different. GW2 had fixed locations. Firefall was fully dynamic in location. The full system was supposed to also vary the nature of the encounter depending on time and location. Different things were supposed to spawn based on location or on time of day. Also when 2 dynamic events spawned near each other, you got emergent gameplay (like Nados going after Thumpers). Also, these events were supposed to be hooked up our our AI Director which was designed to manage the pacing and flow of dynamic events to players..and never implemented.

As for ARES missions, they were not dynamic events in the original sense of what I wanted.

No open world online game has done this, and Firefall never finished it. Ember will.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hi, we have six or seven ex-Red 5 devs who'd like to contribute part time to the project. Because many work for other game companies, they can't "moonlight" on Ember officially so I can't reveal names. Only freelancers like @Joe Solo can be public. Also Michael Bross, who did a lot of the music for Firefall (esp in the earlier days) and also did music for Rachet and Clank and for Oddworld.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
The symbols on the THMPR are all just concept art. I want to have a decal system in the game and you can put what you want. Including the Stars and Stripes. I'm also looking at classic pinup art for frames, for example.

I'm not a PC person, so we're not going to tip toe around and try not to offend anyone with a decal. Instead, I'm looking at options where customers can simply "mute the look" of anything they find offends them. So you could turn off decals for anything you don't like seeing, for example, and you will get decal-less version of a frame. Same for certain outfits on characters, which would just set that character to its default look. Personally I believe such filtering should be under user control and not game censorship.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Right now as we develop art and lore for Crixa, it crosses over nicely with Ember. Since Ember is early on and mostly in design and art stages without coding, the work is compatible. When Crixa is ready for its KS in 2-3 months we will expand the paper and pen writing staff to handle fleshing out the content for the paper and pen RPG.

Ember art is handled outside of myself (I only direct the art in a general way), its working out pretty well so far.

As for FF, I don't think its a good idea for me to continue to speculate on the the whys and wherefores. :p