DevTracker

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hi Carnage. You said it yourself 1.0 was a shitstorm and by that time, I had been gone 6 months. They had 2 years and more to fix the game, and the steamchart speaks for itself. The game got far, far worse after I left and today, they have no devs left and are on the verge of closure. The old management and The9 simply thought they knew better, and they didn't. The facts are quite plain.

But no words are going to convince you. That's why we broke it up into mini-milestones, so the community could judge for itself with minimal risk. How about the fact that in 35 days we've gone from a petition about "would you like to do this" to a 600% funded goal, a website, forums and all key concept art being delivered. Yes, we're almost done with all the art and are ready to start our next milestone. Judge us on our work, what we promise, and what we deliver. So far, we are over delivering.

As this thread will probably devolve into a flame war, it will eventually be moved to the gripes section. For now we'll keep it here for the next day or so.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
While we are still working out many aspects of Ember, it won't be "WoW with guns" and won't have traditional leveling, quests and raids. I helped invent the "exclamation mark questgiver" for MMOs when we did WoW and never want to do that again. :)

P.S. the choice of symbol was inspired by Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
We're about to announce our next funding goal to help bring Ember closer to a playable test prototype.

The first funding was for $250 to make a website. IndieGoGo sets a minimum of $500 so we made it flexible funding. It was really just to see if the community was willing to take the next step and fund the idea of *beginning* the development of the game. Quite a few fans expressed concern that we would not be able to raise it at this early stage, or that it would do more harm than good. I myself was skeptical.

Then you guys all surprised everyone.

We raised 600% of our goal. We funded in less than 30 minutes and sold out of all packs. So we put up stretch goals to actually start on the game: concept art and blueprints for the T.H.M.P.R., the player, and the iconic enemy (our version of "The Chosen"). You guys smashed through that. And so, here we are: a forum, a website, a game being designed, and art that will be delivered very shortly. Next step will be getting the models done so we can put them into Unreal 4.

3D art is a very expensive goal. Art is one of the most costly parts of making a game these days, so we are focusing on building only what we need to get the game to its first playable test prototype. The T.H.M.P.R. will be six weeks of modeling alone, then it must be textured, materials applied, etc. and this does not include any animations.

We'll be announcing the next goal soon, when we've completed and shipped out all the art to backers that funded the initial milestone. We don't have a roadmap beyond that, since we are taking things step by step and won't know the requirements of the goal after that because if you guys keep exceeding goals, we can do more each funding step.