DevTracker

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
This!

It encourages players, even those operating bulkier, more damage-resistant frames, to not just charge into situations, throwing tactics and often any sort of skill aside. Like amateurs flailing around, just thoughtlessly unloading magazine and magazine, without having to worry about death and its consequences.

What's the point of tactics, terrain, omni-frames, combat gear customizing, if no one has to worry about consequences. The only ones being getting respawned somewhere farther back and a loss of minimal resources.

If you want to be a bullet-sponge, just dive head-first into battle, without a plan, without care, without having to concern yourself with sustaining damage and just fire your precious little blaster...then expect consequences. Your frame might not even take as much damage, depending on its archetype and you'd only need minimal amount of resources to maintain it. But, for recon types, who were always more fragile and careful and had to keep a distance or try their damndest not to get hit too much, when engaging a target from closer, damage to the frame was always an incentive for approaching a situation with more care.

Having durability (that could easily be kept up, as in FF. A few crystites, really? That's too much for some?) would add another layer to operating in the world Ember. To combat, survival, tactics. If one gets seriously banged up and continues to run around looking for trouble, without running a little maintenance, first (even cheap carried repair kits could enter here), then they should be punished for their foolishness and take increasingly more damage.

It was a good idea in Firefall and it's not in any way annoying or an inconvenience, unless someone is too lazy to be bothered with actually making an effort to do more than run and gun without thought or care.
Well perma-death for items is annoying. You should be able to repair broken equipment, then. Just have durability, still. With no perma-broke equipment.
Marks words from the indeagogo campaign page regarding this issue are-
"
  • Durability: Items will not break, but will need to be repaired (at less resource cost than what it was to make).
"
As you can see it is already in the plan. Let me add that from a mathematical perspective, depending on exactly how that mechanic works, (does cost go higher based on hits taken and death? What is the cost to gain ratio set at?) the repair cost could potentially be very punishing to the income of a reckless player.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
do we actually have a combat model? without anything playable, i don't think there can be, unless there's a lot of planning that happened that just isn't written down clearly.
maybe there is, idunno.

i can only speak for myself, but i don't think anyone is suggesting that. (nor are the systems i've talked about in any way connected to stop and pop shooters, cover shooters, or whatever else)
eh? I'm not suggesting there is an existing combat model or that anyone necessarily suggested an aim down sights style combat model. I'm simply voicing my preferences for how the game's combat model should be built.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
@Dubbelklik XP is a vertical progression mechanic, really hope there is not even a hint of XP in Ember.
Xp is a progression mechanic. It can just as easily be used to unlock new sidegrades in a horizontal progression system as it could be used to unlock upgrades in a vertical progression system.

Though I know Grummz was considering using resources to unlock things instead of xp. It will be interesting to see what he decides on.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
Personally my main concern is that Ember's combat model reflects a more fast paced, arena-esque, old school shooter style.

However recoil fits into that is fine as long as it doesn't become an "aim down sights" style game if you know what I mean.