Death and respawn?

Jul 28, 2016
I'm of the mind that we DON'T die.

Instead when near death and incapacitated, our battle frames perform an emergency teleport to the nearest........whatever. Way-station, friendly watchtower, etc., where we are healed by a crack team of EMTs back to a certain percentage of max health, ready to enter action again.
There should be a downed state for a few seconds so close by team mates can revive you. If that fails then you transport.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Guys, you remember Ophanim? They had arcporters on their most important commanders. They teleported injured soldier to a base. IMO we could have the same thing.

When we are laying on the ground screaming "help!" we are already ready to teleport. When we are respawning or our backup hp reaches 0, we are teleported to the nearest man-arcporter. We are than healed and we can go back to fight. How about that?
Leave some fun to the mobs :D But srsly it feels even more awkward than corpserunning and cloning. Even it's just a game, I like when the Life&Death concept is still there. If you're screwed - accept your demise. And after being cloned you still remember that you got fked :)
As I stated above - cloning is the most logical and right way to explain your char's respawn in sci-fi kind of games. No need to "discover the continents again". ;)

Ars Nova

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 28, 2016
Frame comes equipped with stasis field. Upon mortal injury, we are given the choice to either wait around for someone to arrive and patch us up, or we can teleport to a nearby medical facility.

Jul 26, 2016
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
You know, back in 2013 at Omnicom (Arsenal launch) Red5 gave a more or less explanation about what happens when pilots die...

"(...) The Omnidyne-M molecular printer has been printing trial Arsenal battleframes as fast as it can manage, empowering newcomers to roll immediately into combat. Some of these recruits are so green, it makes a grown man like myself wince seeing them charge off bravely into the thick of it, knowing they've yet to feel the sharp burn of being genetically reassembled. I've adopted the rather macabre practice of guessing how long a new recruit will last in the Arsenal before I see them at the repatterning station next to me. (...)"

Source: http://www.firefall.com/news/chosen-invasion-at-omnicon

Beerdog6

Firstclaimer
Aug 1, 2016
corpse running gets old. Especially if the map is big. Even if you have vehicles.
I like the thought of a stasis field for a buddy to rescue you or your medevac insurance to kick in. Here's a thought for the monetization. included in your basic program purchase is
a basic medevac/teleport plan.
For a fee, you can upgrade your medevac package for faster response/repair and a higher fee get additional options on your resuscitation locations. Make the basic microtransaction a number of uses. then it reverts back to unlimited basic. also have an annual higher option. Also have a way to earn in game additional uses.
Maybe a StakeHolders(tm)(you can have that Mark) perk as an unlimited option. Depending on the price of the StakeHolder or the Settlers package.

Jul 27, 2016
There should be a downed state for a few seconds so close by team mates can revive you. If that fails then you transport.
Agreed, as long as the method of revival does not include standing over the downed individual and waving the hand in a "Come on, get up!" sort of fashion. To my knowledge, no one has ever been brought back from the brink of death using that method.

It might be better if perhaps our battle frames were equipped with some sort of emergency defibrillator or syringe full of magic liquid that we could use on others instead of merely fanning our hand over them.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
What about deployable respawn nodes. It could be a medical crafting item players could make and then place at the edge of a battlefield. This would keep the shooting to a maximum and the walking back to shooting at a minimum. The node would work for anyone on your team and it should be moderately expensive to make. It would basically work like a checkpoint in a single player game. The nodes can also be destructible so you don't want to place them right in the middle of a fight.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
If I see a downed player, can I kick them until they get up while yelling how I'll give them something to cry about?
Hey, it isn't like I asked for an animation where I spit on their dead corpse. I'm a jackass, not a prick. There's a difference. It's slight but it's there.

Jul 27, 2016
How about we just let the character die and replace it with a playable clone of the character.
phoenix clone #57 dies so now you play as phoenix clone #58. Make the player feel guilty for letting his character die. Let him feel the burden of death.

Jul 28, 2016
If I see a downed player, can I kick them until they get up while yelling how I'll give them something to cry about?
Hey, it isn't like I asked for an animation where I spit on their dead corpse. I'm a jackass, not a prick. There's a difference. It's slight but it's there.
Is that you Clint Eastwood?

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Is that you Clint Eastwood?
Not that I am aware of. My wife says I can be a bit like Walt from Gran Torino though.

Oh and can you imagine how useful those #'s would be. Hey, NitroMidgets #6031 wants you to know that the water will kill you, instantly.
NitroMidgets #5021 wants you to know that creature will require more people to kill.

Alfonso

Commander
Jul 29, 2016
How about we just let the character die and replace it with a playable clone of the character.
phoenix clone #57 dies so now you play as phoenix clone #58. Make the player feel guilty for letting his character die. Let him feel the burden of death.
I really like this idea! Can this be considered?!

Jul 27, 2016
Well if guilt is what you're after and you REALLY want a burden of death , how about a death penalty? I'm not talking about merely the time it takes to re-spawn and get back to the battle. I'm talking about a real penalty, like a loss of XP might do.

That's if guilt and burdens are what you are really aiming for, that is. Simply re-cloning a copy of me isn't going to make me feel any guilt or burden.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
@Dubbelklik XP is a vertical progression mechanic, really hope there is not even a hint of XP in Ember.
Xp is a progression mechanic. It can just as easily be used to unlock new sidegrades in a horizontal progression system as it could be used to unlock upgrades in a vertical progression system.

Though I know Grummz was considering using resources to unlock things instead of xp. It will be interesting to see what he decides on.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
@Ronyn ok I can give you that...though I am with Mark, Would really like to see horizontal progression tiers coming from the buildings that the community chooses to build. Given that those buildings (I think) should also be the main resource sync of the game.

Jul 27, 2016
Well if guilt is what you're after and you REALLY want a burden of death , how about a death penalty? I'm not talking about merely the time it takes to re-spawn and get back to the battle. I'm talking about a real penalty, like a loss of XP might do.
Putting a quantity on death like reducing a currency or progression is bad. When your character dies you feel anger because you lost something you worked for, that is just straight up punishing the player. What I wanted was for the player to have a connection and a sense of responsibility towards the character he plays. If a character dies then the player should die a little on the inside as well.

Whenever a clone dies in starwars then he doesn't re spawn as another clone, no he is just dead, end of story for that character. That is what I propose, you play as a mercenary clone on adventure with a death-whish to terraform another planet. You do quests, interact with other people and build relationships when suddenly you die on the battlefield, end of story. Another clone inherits your stuff, face, voice and memories and now you play as that new clone.

That's if guilt and burdens are what you are really aiming for, that is. Simply re-cloning a copy of me isn't going to make me feel any guilt or burden.
Dubbelklik #2: "Your days are counted Dubbelklik #1, you heartless bastard."

:p:D