The good old days ... will be back?!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Since I was active in leading the design back in those days, the feel of Em-8ER will be back. Expect fluid movement, gliding, jump-jets...but this time our servers are going to be very responsive and allow us to do things with melee..THMPR grappling with Kaiju, and also Tsi-Hu in beast mode melee'ing your frame. It's my aim to capture that original feel.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Since I was active in leading the design back in those days, the feel of Em-8ER will be back. Expect fluid movement, gliding, jump-jets...but this time our servers are going to be very responsive and allow us to do things with melee..THMPR grappling with Kaiju, and also Tsi-Hu in beast mode melee'ing your frame. It's my aim to capture that original feel.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Any chance we can throw wall-riding into the mix? I have to say, its super-intuitive and after playing lucio and titanfall 2 a bunch base movement in other games doesn't feel the same without it.

Jan 27, 2017
cz
I did buy a bike because it was rather a necessity to run around. For Em-8er, I don't mind paying upfront for a well made game. They could finance on-going cost with DLC or in-game cosmetic items. The free-to-play market is maturing now compares to before. So I think Em-8er has a good shot :)
Don't know if this game will have F2P aspect or not, but IMO it shouldn't be neglected. It kinda sounds stupid when you say it like this, but F2P is HUGE these days, and often games who aren't F2P die out due to low player base...

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
There were a few things I loved about Firefall, both BT and AT (Before The9 and After The9)

1. Giant mechs (of course, i mean that goes without saying.)

2. i liked riding around in my lgvs and just feeling the breeze

3. You only had to create one character. Changing character customizations was free, you could access all frames on the same character, and you could do whatever you wanted, then switch to doing something else, all on a single character.

4. BT, there was no fussing about balancing skills for pvp, which left a lot of room for creative weapons and abilities.

5. Unlike most mainstream mmos, you could get npcs of different factions to fight each other. Not only is it a neat way to shake off enemies, it just made sense that warrinng factions hated each other enough that they would be at each other's throats, unlike games like SWTOR where (for the most part) npcs simply don't aggro each other.

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
There were some days I would log into FF and do nothing except drive around on my LGV. Maybe I'd stop to help someone with a Thumper, maybe I'd come across a Chosen patrol - and I mean a *real* Chosen patrol - like they start at one point and actually wander across the map. That was awesome. But just watching the scenery blur by as I jump the over uneven terrain - that. was. awesome.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
My inner child is likely something like 11yrs old because all it knows is boobies are awesome, not sure I fully understood what you said and yet it made me smile.

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
but can we all agree what got most of us into firefall in the first place... i can guarantee you it was most likely this for quite alot of people

Yes! I remember when I first played FF I sucked. I mean really sucked. But over time I got better. I don't mean my frame got some power-ups or a new super-duper weapon, I mean I got better at hitting things, and I got better at not getting hit. That is such a great feeling to know my playing was me, not some artificial game construct designed to provide me with the illusion that I was more powerful.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
The old chosen voice has to be the most nostalgic thing for me. It was commanding yet ethereal, at the time when you had what amounted to peashooters against juggernauts that killed you in a few good hits, unless you learned to jump over their projectiles, trash-talking you all the way through the fight. I never heard any enemy grunt "Shoot me while I reload" at me in any game.

@2:34: "I will collect the jawbones of your loved ones!"

Keao

Commander
Jan 30, 2017
I managed to rip this off the Firefall.cn website back when it was functional, i've dug it up from my storage in my pc to share ;)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx8Rrpa-R2GzaEhaRHpKcmgzR0U

- note, one reason why I dont use the FF forums anymore cause its functionality is cooked also, cant see anyone's portraits and a blank background D:
Nice find Silv3r. Thanks for keeping the video and sharing it that was a pretty awesome.

FF forums are the same for me too.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I love early firefall to death and have tons of good memories in there. But I am going to be honest. My favorite times were in v1.3 Ranking up my last frames to level 40 grinding at the beach in devils tusk. Also love that part of grinding on sertao with our motorcycles on the desert and going to OCT ones it was being attacked. But, the best was doing devils tusk joboards, warfront, kanaloa, amazon and all that. I hated it after 1.6 That last change was horrible for me. But, I got zero complains about 1.3 even tho that's after The9 took over.

About Em-83r....I have no doubt it is going to be better than firefall and I rather have new unique experiences. I am personally not looking for the same experience. I saw and played firefall through all the changes and I had enough of that. I want this. Which to me seams like a new thing. Has potential to have even more interesting gameplay.

Last edited:

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
MEMBER?

IMO, just remember what makes the game. It's the community. The problem with vertical progression is that it leads to elitism. Elitism on itself isn't a bad thing but if i'm allowed to be honest, vertical progression just makes it too easy. Spoon fed. The treadmill. Gating isn't a bad thing on itself eater, imo it's a good thing to gate new players from new content but VP just makes it feel cheap, i guess.

It's just a game, not an ego trip.