T.H.M.P.R. art is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I still want the other hand to look "construction vehicle" in nature. I don't want the THMPR to be confused for a combat vehicle. It is not. We have other stuff for that.
Laser "drill" for breaking through the harder matter the auger can not get through.... Great against "large" targets if used as a weapon due to slowness and inaccuracy! You know for those real epic encounters on the way back to base.

Legend57

Omega Founder
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
Estonia
I like this. Can we have it? While the TOS covers all idea submissions on the forums, I'd still like something publicly seen that says we can have the design for free and have an unlimited license to it. Tks!

Now we just need a new claw/scoop arm.
Hehe, that's what it's for - feel free to use it however you like :)
The arm is still just rough idea and I tried to give it a visual for better understanding

As far as the feedback so far, I'd say I agree with @Astro that the auger should be longer - though I had the idea that it could be an addition to the event where if you drill deep enough you'd need to install an extension or something of the sorts.
I'm not exactly sure yet on how the resources would get from the sorter to the resource collector - perhaps something as simple as an exhaust that just lobs everything into the ball thingy :D

Anyways I'll see if I can't wrangle up a concept for the other arm at some point, though the only ideas I have so far is a mountable weaponry platform (like a turret-shoulder) or something similar or perhaps a secondary drill or a deployable additional support or perhaps a modular setup consisting of all of the above where you can switch between different attachments, giving you different results (for example, double drill for extra resources, but attracts more enemies or a turret that adds defence but slows drilling)

EDIT: Drill types switchable, based on what you want to get, maybe?

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Here is an idea, what if the other arm was a suction device, the arms could alternate between drilling into the ground, and sucking up the debris to throw into the cargo area. This concept could also easily explain why the event might be attacked by waves of enemies. There could be a countdown between each mode. Waves would initiate each time the drill was engaged. The intensity of the waves would be explained by the shockwaves traveling further as the drill bites deeper into the ground.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Here is an idea, what if the other arm was a suction device, the arms could alternate between drilling into the ground, and sucking up the debris to throw into the cargo area. This concept could also easily explain why the event might be attacked by waves of enemies. There could be a countdown between each mode. Waves would initiate each time the drill was engaged. The intensity of the waves would be explained by the shockwaves traveling further as the drill bites deeper into the ground.
that fits!

I still want the other hand to look "construction vehicle" in nature. I don't want the THMPR to be confused for a combat vehicle. It is not. We have other stuff for that.
so instead of the troops saying there's a new wave coming... they would be saying stuff like "We're drilling again, get ready for attacks. "

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Perhaps take a modified Big-O approach for the other arm?

Basically it charges up this big pile driver/pile bunker to smash into difficult materials to "soften" the dig site a bit so the drill can do its work. This would also server it as a weapon in combat against kaiju class critters if you still want that. Since it can give quite the empowered punch. Once the pile driver does its job breaking up what its going to drill through the right arm can transform to store the pile driver and pull out the folding claw/bucket scoop to begin moving freed resources to the storage pod.

This also adds a bit more thump to the THMPR.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hehe, that's what it's for - feel free to use it however you like :)
The arm is still just rough idea and I tried to give it a visual for better understanding

As far as the feedback so far, I'd say I agree with @Astro that the auger should be longer - though I had the idea that it could be an addition to the event where if you drill deep enough you'd need to install an extension or something of the sorts.
I'm not exactly sure yet on how the resources would get from the sorter to the resource collector - perhaps something as simple as an exhaust that just lobs everything into the ball thingy :D

Anyways I'll see if I can't wrangle up a concept for the other arm at some point, though the only ideas I have so far is a mountable weaponry platform (like a turret-shoulder) or something similar or perhaps a secondary drill or a deployable additional support or perhaps a modular setup consisting of all of the above where you can switch between different attachments, giving you different results (for example, double drill for extra resources, but attracts more enemies or a turret that adds defence but slows drilling)

EDIT: Drill types switchable, based on what you want to get, maybe?
Thank you very much. Badge is incoming :)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Could i have an asking badge for asking I feel left out :oops:

Reminds me of school never got stickers unless it was
for going to the nurse to get a plaster had a good collection
of mr bump stickers

Legend57

Omega Founder
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
Estonia
Thank you very much. Badge is incoming :)
Thank you very much :)
@Ronyn Badge looks awesome!

But yeah, back to the topic - I'm personally liking the idea of some "resting" phase that brings a break into the mining process for a moment - maybe something like a cooldown thing? Like the drill overheats and has to cool down before continuing.

Also I'd hope the mining system has a different speed based on the materials the drill is going through - gives it that realistic feel and you could upgrade/modify/modulate the drill to do better with certain materials
Oh and what if there was like a chance you could hit like gas pockets - something that dynamically happens based on maybe a percentage or something (looking at Armageddon movie for inspiration)

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Okay, so we've got @Tommaso Renieri on the new drill arm and other arm to do a tune up and render it with something else we are working on :)

For the claw hand, I wanted something more expressive, so I'm going to give him a regular mech hand there, but like, Hellboy big. That way we can animate hand gestures for him and give him more personality.

Thunderstrike

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Aug 29, 2016
I'm curious, how big is the THMPR? It looks gargantuan in the original concept, but I can't imagine it meshing well with the Omniframes visually if it was their size.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
stormhammer.png
Just saying, I always wanted to see some sort of mining system/weapon with "drills" like these in firefall at some point. I think the idea is that the three gear-esque objects would fire lasers which would intersect and line up, and the gears would rotate to stir up gravel and extract anything that comes up. Would love to see the t.h.m.p.r have a drill like that.

Mishkin

Gatestrider
Aug 11, 2016
France
Unlike thumpers from firefall i think a lot of people here are willing to agree that the thmpr should be very dynamic.

In firefall thumping was a large part of getting resources, and often it felt..... lacking. Slow, uneventful, static. Thumping, per my opinion, should be dynamic. However, it should be dynamic based on how the user is modifying their personal thmpr.

Here's some thoughts:

(Most of this will be centered around how the user will be interacting with his or her personal thmpr. Modifying it, Repairing it, Moving with it.)

Transport:
Thmprs traverse the land with you after you finish mining. Either AI controlled while you attempt to defend them while moving, or player controlled (radio controlled) so incase the AI systems glitches out you don't lose your cargo. However this would leave you exposed. Meaning you may have to find a safe location away from your thmpr before you can start moving it. They can be called down, but after completing thumping need to be brought to a pickup location. When filled they cannot use the damping rockets that keep them from crashing into the planet at 200 mph as lift off rockets.

Destruction:
Should your thmpr become incapacitated or god forbid destroyed during your thumping process you will suffer a huge loss. Losing a thmpr should, in no way, be miniscule. This item is how you get your materials and you should always fear it being destroyed. This will make the following mods far more risk reward.

Phase 1: Incapacitation.
Your thmpr is unique to you, no one else will know how to fix it. Even in a group the best you can do is have your friend defend you while you attempt to fix it. Fixing your thmpr will bring its health to a special state. Enough to allow it to move normally until it reaches the pickup zone. After extraction you will have to pay the bill to get it fixed or cough up the material to fix it.

Phase 2: Destruction.
Oh boy... you went and did it now. Thmprs are no easy thing to make, and you only get 1 for free. Should your thmpr be destroyed in battle you have to suffer a couple of things.

1) Bringing back your thmpr
That's right. Evac can't take a destroyed thmpr. You have to slowly, and painfully, bring back each part. Should you lose any parts (Can't be located after destruction) the price to repair it goes up. Because now they have to replace the missing part. So bring all of them home.

2)Cost
In order of cost matrix:
Most expensive - Replacing lost part
Middle - paying to repair
lowest - giving materials to repair and paying.

Now, luckily for you, you don't lose your modifications you worked so hard to create. Your mods will always be repaired/included in the fixes. That being said however, fixing a heavily modified part is going to cost more. Both in materials and money sense.

Upgrades :

- Speed:
When you want more, you better be skilled enough to do it. Mods to create a faster thmpr's WILL bring in bigger baddies, or... worse. We all know that thumping can be.. slow. There is nothing wrong with that, we have to be patient. If you really want to increase your thmprs speed, well, you better be able to handle it. The faster you dig the louder the thmpr will be. The louder it is the more animals will hear it, maybe even people. Enemies baddies will scale based on your thmprs speed. The higher the speed, the higher the level of the enemies and you risk spawning very large and daunting monsters. If worse comes to worse, you might find yourself surrounded by not only creatures but enemy AI working together to bring you down. Not only because of the resources you mined, but your thmpr ITSELF is more and more valuable. That's right, they know how much it costs to make it, and they don't like you having it.

- Capacity:
Sure, you don't need all those fancy extra ores in the ground that a faster unit might be able to dig up. Maybe you just need 1000 iron to bulk up your suit. Leading your thmpr back and forth 10 times is too much of a chore, i hear ya. So, let's beef this bad boy's capacity up. But be warned, you better have the ammo/health to last this fight. The longer you dig, the more enemies you disturb. It wont hit you like a wall like the speed thmprs do, oh no, this will just get worse and worse. Not only that, but your larger thmpr will now take more time to move back to the pickup location.

Movement:
The starter thmpr is the lightest, and fastest of them all. With no mods installed this guy can get from drop down to evac very quickly. Players will figure out the more the spec their thmpr the slower and heavier it will get, and have to find a balance between speed and effectiveness. Why is this important? Well when you are in the darkest/scariest part of the planet you don't want to be there too long. You want to dig (with as little impact to the planet as possible IE no speed here) and get out before anything or anyone sees you.

- Intelligence:
Ugh, 1000 uranium? We all know that feeling. Why can't my thmpr JUST mine uranium?! Oh wait, it can!
The purer the elements in your thmpr, the more likely animals will attack. This combines the downfall for capacities dig speed(Slow), and speeds environmental impact. The higher you spec your thmprs selectiveness the more likely it will be to pull your specified ore. However, like mentioned before, the purer your thmprs cargo the more other things are going to want it. Not only that, but being selective means you have to wait longer for your thmpr to fill up as it will not pull other ore types.

Parties:
thmprs will not come in "party" sizes. No, you and your partner can either enjoy 1 thmpr and spilt the rewards 50/50 (if you want more, trade) or call down both of yours. Be Careful though, as harmony is important here. If you cannot handle the enemies that two top speed thumpers bring it then you should communicate and adjust your thmprs in town before setting out.

Difficulties:
This, this is the hardest thing to balance. You are between making it very hard but not impossible. However, when getting to the higher end of upgrades it should start to feel impossible. There are a lot of good players who min max their gear. They should reap the rewards and still be challenged. However, they should not become overpowering in the economy. Little guys need a chance to prosper as well.

Emergency Signals:
This is an mmo, and as an mmo should promote player to player interactions.
As such, each thmpr is equipped with an emergency signal. The signal is sent out when 1 of 2 conditions are met:
Condition 1:
Below 15% health while digging || Below 10% health when in transport - orange distress
Condition 2:
Losing more than 10% of health per second. - orange distress
However, should the thmpr become incapacitated a special red distress signal will go out.
(Go out - Pop up on other users screen/Blaring siren/whatever you want)
Emergency signals should invoke panic in users that hear them, and should invoke the thought "This person is seriously going to lose their thmpr if i don't go help" and no one wants to lose a thumper (See above)

Obviously if you help then you get a cut of the rewards(These are not removed from the pool that goes to the owner.)
Maybe even karma points or a system that rewards players for playing together. (Should have a SMALL but meaningful impact. IE: Special Cosmetics/ Items to help assist other people better)

As you can tell, thmprs should be very important and interactive and impactful to the game. Sorry if i went on and on, but i hope you enjoyed the read.
I don't know if many people took time to read your big post but damn I can't deny that you got me hooked up for those great ideas ! I would like to enjoy such things with the THMPR...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2016
I don't know if many people took time to read your big post but damn I can't deny that you got me hooked up for those great ideas ! I would like to enjoy such things with the THMPR...
I like those ideas too.
About the different arms and drills, i think this has quite some potential for customising. Allowing differen speeds, or access to different soils and or ressorces. Also, as the player digs deep, he may have to switch and or repair drills to give some pause time (as that was mentionned, armagedon style).
Also, i don't undertand why the thmpr would not hold the ressources... I think it makes much more sense! At least untill it reaches the evac.
I also like the vacuum thinggy, to that, the mechanism should have THE filetering system (centrifuge?) for purifying the ressource (that would take time and require upgrades to get purer and faster process).
Last think, knowing that it should be working in difficult condition, even though it is for harvesting, i disagree with kern, it should be able to have some basic defensive system. It's a gigantic robot, it could smach or wrestle big monsters in some rare difficult cases. But of course not being like a warmachine with rockets or cannons. It should be designed for it purpose, but the engineers are not stupid and they should build it so it can deffend itself a little bit! It is ment to go into warzones, and it looks like a bad ass giant robot! I don't want it to be a giant p****!

Once again, how huge would it be? According to the first poster, it really look gigantic!

Status
Not open for further replies.