T.H.M.P.R. art is up

Discussion in 'Ember Art & Design Updates' started by Grummz, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Cadbane

Cadbane Gatestrider - Frame Founder

Laser "drill" for breaking through the harder matter the auger can not get through.... Great against "large" targets if used as a weapon due to slowness and inaccuracy! You know for those real epic encounters on the way back to base.

Fabricio21RJ and Astro like this.
  2. Legend57

Legend57 Emberite Em-8er Contributor

Hehe, that's what it's for - feel free to use it however you like :)
    The arm is still just rough idea and I tried to give it a visual for better understanding

As far as the feedback so far, I'd say I agree with @Astro that the auger should be longer - though I had the idea that it could be an addition to the event where if you drill deep enough you'd need to install an extension or something of the sorts.
    I'm not exactly sure yet on how the resources would get from the sorter to the resource collector - perhaps something as simple as an exhaust that just lobs everything into the ball thingy :D

Anyways I'll see if I can't wrangle up a concept for the other arm at some point, though the only ideas I have so far is a mountable weaponry platform (like a turret-shoulder) or something similar or perhaps a secondary drill or a deployable additional support or perhaps a modular setup consisting of all of the above where you can switch between different attachments, giving you different results (for example, double drill for extra resources, but attracts more enemies or a turret that adds defence but slows drilling)

EDIT: Drill types switchable, based on what you want to get, maybe?

3. EvilKitten

EvilKitten Gatestrider

Here is an idea, what if the other arm was a suction device, the arms could alternate between drilling into the ground, and sucking up the debris to throw into the cargo area. This concept could also easily explain why the event might be attacked by waves of enemies. There could be a countdown between each mode. Waves would initiate each time the drill was engaged. The intensity of the waves would be explained by the shockwaves traveling further as the drill bites deeper into the ground.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. Mahdi

Mahdi Gatestrider - T.H.M.P.R.

Agreed!

engjang likes this.
  5. SomeUnregPunk

SomeUnregPunk Emberite

that fits!

so instead of the troops saying there's a new wave coming... they would be saying stuff like "We're drilling again, get ready for attacks. "

EvilKitten and CorwinM80 like this.
  6. TankHunter678

TankHunter678 Well-Known Member

Perhaps take a modified Big-O approach for the other arm?

Basically it charges up this big pile driver/pile bunker to smash into difficult materials to "soften" the dig site a bit so the drill can do its work. This would also server it as a weapon in combat against kaiju class critters if you still want that. Since it can give quite the empowered punch. Once the pile driver does its job breaking up what its going to drill through the right arm can transform to store the pile driver and pull out the folding claw/bucket scoop to begin moving freed resources to the storage pod.

This also adds a bit more thump to the THMPR.

7. Grummz

Grummz Administrator Ember Dev

Thank you very much. Badge is incoming :)

Ronyn, Legend57, Mahdi and 2 others like this.
  8. neonserge

neonserge Well-Known Member

Could i have an asking badge for asking I feel left out :oops:

Reminds me of school never got stickers unless it was
    for going to the nurse to get a plaster had a good collection
    of mr bump stickers

9. Ronyn

Ronyn Ghostryker Community Manager

Grats to you sir! Please take note of your shiny new banner. ;-)

Fabricio21RJ, Legend57, Mahdi and 2 others like this.
  10. neonserge

neonserge Well-Known Member

I'll that as a no :eek:

11. Mahdi

Mahdi Gatestrider - T.H.M.P.R.

Grats Legend!! Looks smexy. Now I want one....maybe I could write a back story on a reaper squad or something.

Legend57 and engjang like this.
  12. Legend57

Legend57 Emberite Em-8er Contributor

Thank you very much :)
    @Ronyn Badge looks awesome!

But yeah, back to the topic - I'm personally liking the idea of some "resting" phase that brings a break into the mining process for a moment - maybe something like a cooldown thing? Like the drill overheats and has to cool down before continuing.

Also I'd hope the mining system has a different speed based on the materials the drill is going through - gives it that realistic feel and you could upgrade/modify/modulate the drill to do better with certain materials
    Oh and what if there was like a chance you could hit like gas pockets - something that dynamically happens based on maybe a percentage or something (looking at Armageddon movie for inspiration)

Earth_Soldier, neonserge and engjang like this.
  13. Grummz

I think a resting/setup phase is what made early thumping so social. So yes, its coming back. Later thumping removed it. Was a mistake.

14. Grummz

Okay, so we've got @Tommaso Renieri on the new drill arm and other arm to do a tune up and render it with something else we are working on :)

For the claw hand, I wanted something more expressive, so I'm going to give him a regular mech hand there, but like, Hellboy big. That way we can animate hand gestures for him and give him more personality.

15. StormPunch

StormPunch Player One

I'm curious, how big is the THMPR? It looks gargantuan in the original concept, but I can't imagine it meshing well with the Omniframes visually if it was their size.

16. NightStroke

NightStroke Active Member

stormhammer.png
    Just saying, I always wanted to see some sort of mining system/weapon with "drills" like these in firefall at some point. I think the idea is that the three gear-esque objects would fire lasers which would intersect and line up, and the gears would rotate to stir up gravel and extract anything that comes up. Would love to see the t.h.m.p.r have a drill like that.

Silv3r Shadow likes this.
  17. Mishkin

Mishkin Gatestrider

I don't know if many people took time to read your big post but damn I can't deny that you got me hooked up for those great ideas ! I would like to enjoy such things with the THMPR...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Arca9 likes this.
  18. benoit

benoit New Member

I like those ideas too.
    About the different arms and drills, i think this has quite some potential for customising. Allowing differen speeds, or access to different soils and or ressorces. Also, as the player digs deep, he may have to switch and or repair drills to give some pause time (as that was mentionned, armagedon style).
    Also, i don't undertand why the thmpr would not hold the ressources... I think it makes much more sense! At least untill it reaches the evac.
    I also like the vacuum thinggy, to that, the mechanism should have THE filetering system (centrifuge?) for purifying the ressource (that would take time and require upgrades to get purer and faster process).
    Last think, knowing that it should be working in difficult condition, even though it is for harvesting, i disagree with kern, it should be able to have some basic defensive system. It's a gigantic robot, it could smach or wrestle big monsters in some rare difficult cases. But of course not being like a warmachine with rockets or cannons. It should be designed for it purpose, but the engineers are not stupid and they should build it so it can deffend itself a little bit! It is ment to go into warzones, and it looks like a bad ass giant robot! I don't want it to be a giant p****!

Once again, how huge would it be? According to the first poster, it really look gigantic!

Arca9 likes this.
  19. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

What was that? The resting/setup phase?

20. Turbofreak88884444

Turbofreak88884444 New Member

@Grummz Ooh nice orthographic views of this beast of a mecha > : D