PvP, how it could work?

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I JUST WANT AN UNREAL TOURNAMENT STYLED PVP.
This actually got me thinking, and I really like this idea.

So you have your instanced battleground. You start in a starting garage area outside of your omniframe. You get to choose from several "tournament" omniframes. These frames are set up for different play styles, like a tank, speed, ability energy, etc., but so if two people pick the same frame, they operate exactly the same way. You then choose your weapon/s of choice, which function the same way. If player 1 and 2 choose a pistol, the pistol will deal the same damage. Then, if Ember has abilities, you choose those (which would be limited, and frame dependent).

Then, all players are ready and the garage rises above ground, and the match begins. Frags or flag captures to win. Omniframes cannot be called down and players are "killed" once their frame is destroyed.

NF85

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
well firefalls pvp in consept was not bad imo, problem is you cant use the same preformance stats for pvp and pve, they must be seperate stats not linked to eachother, so that buffing/nerfing of 1 aspect in pvp wont affect the same aspect in pve.

this is the nr1 error all pvp+pve games does, and it allways hurts the pve mutch more then it hurts pvp.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
So, I’ve been thinking about this game a lot lately. I’m pretty excited with what the game promises to be. But even though their is currently no plan to add pvp to the game. I would still like to discuss how pvp could be included post launch.

Firstly. Let’s talk about pvp’s relation to toxicity. It’s true that games that boast open world pvp will often see gankers and griefers and ppl who just generally like to talk smack. Which will usually become server wide drama and will increase the level of toxicity.
My thoughts have been expressed on this and show in your post.

Another fun pvp type that could be added is castle sieges (base sieges) type pvp like Archeage or Lineage 2, but where the pvp is still not open world, but limited to a specific zone. In this zone, there could still be enemy AI spawning and invading and players could still go out and do thumping, but instead of everyone contributing to build bases, there would be specific areas designated for guild bases where there are large and dense concentrations of resources. Initially, these bases could be heavily fortified enemy AI bases that would require a large guild with great coordination to successfully siege and conquer it to claim that resource rich land as their own. Then the guild would have to build their own base and defences by spending their guild resources. Capturing a base would be no easy task and would also require the attacking guild to invest resources in siege equipment.. maybe giants siege mechs or large artillery tanks. Also, a guild wishing to attack another guilds base would have to meet certain requirements. For example, they cannot attack another guild’s base if they already own a base of their own. ( 1 base per guild only). Perhaps all guilds who want to attack a certain base would have to participate in a silent auction to bid for the right to siege the base. Then, the guild who wins the silent auction would be able to partake into the siege battle on siege night and attempt to claim the base for themselves.

On siege night, once a week, I imagine something like Archeage would be great where there could be a large area around the base that becomes phased or Instanced to the participating attackers and defenders and perhaps the siege would have a limited number of attackers and defenders 50 vs 50. Ect. So really large guilds would potentially have to select who gets to participate. There could also be a system in place where small guilds can use players from allied guilds to fill their ranks. These bases if held by a guild would produce significant amounts of resources for the guild.
This was attempted and failed in FF, I think it was around 1.4-1.5 though the generation could be off a bit.

Another good possibility would be a siege system similar to ESO or GW2 where the map is littered with pre-built small base camps to massive fortifications which players can continuously attack and defend. There could be several pvp campaigns that players can choose from, each campaign lasting anywhere between 1 to 4 weeks and requiring players to pledge their allegiance to 1 of 2 NPC factions (similar to FFXIV) for the duration of that pvp campaign. Capturing or defending forts would grant resources for players as rewards and while there would be 2 player factions fighting against each other, there would also be the enemy AI faction acting as the 3rd faction , which would also conquer bases from the 2 warring player factions. (Kinda Like Aion). These bases could get defences upgrades which would require players to do special thumping runs to gather a specific resource used to power base defences and upgrade the base. These thumpers could be destroyed and resources could get stolen by the opposite faction.
This is basically the same as the previous method just by a different developer...

The whole point of participating in these pvp campaigns could be simply another way to gain resources, gain reputation with the NPC factions which could unlock convenience perks and cosmetic omniframe components which are specific to each faction.
This is basically what the entire game is about, as pve. Do you just want more; or is the need to "think" you are being better than/ being beaten by someone better than... ?

Anyways, these are just some ideas I wanted to throw out there on how I think pvp could work in EMBER, without making the game toxic and while allowing players who don’t enjoy pvp to simply never have to experience it, while still being fun and potentially competitive for players who love a good pvp game. Removing the ability to speak with other factions in the pvp zone and making the enemy names invisible are 2 great ways to have pvp while significantly reducing the toxicity and smack talk that can sometimes get out of hand.

What do you guys think?
I do applaud your efforts, and I really do hope the best for your endeavours to bring some type of PVP to Em8er. Consider it being a "No reward" title only system and you may have more luck.

You could always close your eyes.
That's toxic too.

I'd like to see PvP in a different way. Have the ability to spawn in as some of the lower level Kaiju. You wouldn't be able to mine resources, or anything. Just attack other people, knowing you're most likely going to die pretty fast.
@Rocket

You'd like to gatecrash someone else's PVE experience as the enemy? How about, no.

But let's humor you for a minute.

A Firefall style dueling system would be cool. Maybe some 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 as well. Nothing structured. Just some frag.
Yeah, gatecrashing someone else's PVE... not unless that person could turn around in PVE and end your entire gaming for the day, unless the level of kaiju he is intending to be spawned as is something like the carb spider Aranha that would slowly eat AFK players in FF that could also be killed with one hit.

As for the FF style open world dueling, I could go for that, even with possibility of it being player party vs player party with the 2 - 5 vs 2-5 with all willing combatants. I would like to see that though have the caveat that while in those duels participants fire has NO effect on surrounding PVE environment but the PVE environment may interfere with the participants. IE.. if a Tsi-hu spawns, you can't damage it until your battle is complete but it can kill you still.

@Darsh ; Cash shop consumables to spawn additional npc kaiju of various levels.... I like that specific part of your suggestion, as long as they are npc.\

@DinsdaleP13 ; Checkout this thread before becoming to much more.... aggressive on the PVP thing please.
https://forums.em8er.com/threads/very-skeptical.1118/#post-33061
Being combative about PVP content is not helpful to what Darsh is trying to do here I believe.

Cheers all,

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
@Rocket
Yeah, gatecrashing someone else's PVE... not unless that person could turn around in PVE and end your entire gaming for the day, unless the level of kaiju he is intending to be spawned as is something like the carb spider Aranha that would slowly eat AFK players in FF that could also be killed with one hit.

As for the FF style open world dueling, I could go for that, even with possibility of it being player party vs player party with the 2 - 5 vs 2-5 with all willing combatants.
Yep. I don't think the person I replied to gets it. At. All. The OP started a "How might we include PVP into the PVE game Em-8ER".

It's up to those who might want PVP to come up with ideas in a discussion such that it might fit. Gatecrashing PVE does the opposite, and invokes my worst memories of Firefall.

In the moment grudge matches? Why not?

Training for Reaper Squad members? That might fit.

Off-time entertainment as per the original Unreal Tournament. That would definitely fit.

A combination of training and off-time entertainment for deep space miners? Absolutely. Re-run the original UT intro for details, *if* you have a copy. I do.

DinsdaleP13

NEW - SHIFTER
Jul 26, 2016
Arizona, U.S.A.
It's not really gatecrashing, as much as playing the game as intended. Only instead of an AI controlling the enemy, it's an actual human being. Which ideally, is what you'd want out of an AI.

Not sure what I said was combative either, but alright. The thread is about how PvP could work, and I threw a few ideas out there. If responding to the original intent of a thread is combative to you, I don't know what to say.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
This is very

more ideas?

here is an idea you find a pvp lost gate to the kaiju grounds there is a trial where to have access to become one of them, they must prove their worth and eventually enter the nightmare sector.

You can then get to control as a kaiju but you must build up your combat skills to unlock higher tier kaiju's in size and variation. This is away from pve as it is too hostile and a completely different world.

You can fight a.i's and those controlled by people winning gives your tokens to eventually go further down once enough tokens are collected the pvp tokens can be used to get access to a secret map, community pvp map unlock, better kaiju or even key with more tokens. If you lose you still get tokens but not as much.

Pvp in the Nightmare sector shows great respect to the kaiju elders and the queen is entertained by it think of it like the gladiators of ancient time but with tech, aliens and more craziness.

Sometimes you battle in groups other times all for themselves the queen makes the rules your all nothing but toys to her maybe you can get to the deepest regions or maybe you will forever be trapped in the nightmare sector!!!

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I'll post. I completely forgot the story part of the cinematic ...
There is something worthwhile there. And yet at the same time, there is still a need to fit such a PVP element into the PVE centric game of EM-8ER. Notwithstanding the game being the best fit for the original UT I have ever seen. It still needs to fit @Grummz vision for the game. A PVE game.

Like putting on a pair of gloves. They need to fit. It's not enough to add a PVP element just for the sake of having one.

My suggestion, would be that PVP require a PVE element. AKA, you can't do one without the other.

Now, I'm not a game designer, so I don't know how that might happen (other than prior comments). All I know is that EM-8ER needs to focus on it's core promises, first and foremost. PVP would be a long goal at best.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Here is an idea that you all may toss around and may be a possibility.

• Players whom chose could participate in a set solo-PVE competition against increasingly stronger shifters may enter a higher level competion.
  • Once reaching a certain level of competency they are permitted to compete as kaiju vs A.I human mechs. (To build their kaiju battle skills.)
  • The top players (1-5 with some forced rotation) are then allowed to command A.I shifter squads in special open world PVE-P events as the Boss kaiju, which after the forces they command have fallen, may begin battling in PVP with actual player controlled mechs.
This idea comes from the previous dev controlled chosen from FF events, with exceptions of the competition and that the "Boss Kaiju" would actually need to be defeatable and not be able to just disappear from the fight.

Many more specifics would need to be ironed out, though this is a framework for PVP which I could get onboard with. It would be an Event in specific map areas and add to the overall human vs kaiju battle for territory on a limited space planet and still allow players that chose to avoid PVP the ability to avoid the map areas of the event without major effects on the overall scope of the game.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
It's not really gatecrashing, as much as playing the game as intended. Only instead of an AI controlling the enemy, it's an actual human being. Which ideally, is what you'd want out of an AI.
Having one human-controlled enemy in a sea of AI would be a very interesting, so long as the AI were smart enough and varied enough to cloak the human player (unlike say, Titanfall, where it's quite obvious there's a human). Interesting concept, I would imagine it would be like a 'Horde' mode.

That being said though, more casual or less skilled players would be very much against the idea of fighting another player in a PVE game regardless of how it was done, and I could see how the gatecrashing reasoning comes about.

Then again, given that we're going to be fighting legions of Kaiju anyway, I wouldn't think it'd work as a separate instance/battleground thing. People would want to play as the Kaiju. If they wanted to kill Kaiju, they could just play the game as it is, right?
It still needs to fit @Grummz vision for the game... It's not enough to add a PVP element just for the sake of having one.
Of course. As long as it's lore-friendly, fun, and balanced.

Nov 3, 2017
Australia
So new idea. Everyone that wants to join in PvP must first toggle the option on. Then they have to wait until another player kill them first. Once they re-spawn they are then allowed to hunt down and kill their killer or be killed by them in turn. then PvP toggles off automatically and the whole thing starts again.

the reasoning behind this would be to eliminate the kinds of players who just want to beat everyone with no repercussions. If you want your PvP, First you must die for it.

Jul 26, 2016
So new idea. Everyone that wants to join in PvP must first toggle the option on. Then they have to wait until another player kill them first. Once they re-spawn they are then allowed to hunt down and kill their killer or be killed by them in turn. then PvP toggles off automatically and the whole thing starts again.

the reasoning behind this would be to eliminate the kinds of players who just want to beat everyone with no repercussions. If you want your PvP, First you must die for it.
who starts it then? You never have PvP in that game then.

The idea sounds like how The Division does it.

In that game, there are PvP zones called Dark Zones. Well, a lot of people complained about friendly fire killing people accidentally when people are really trying to help out others from the strong AI mobs that also exist in the PvP zone. So they made a toggle for PvP in the Dark Zone. Until the player toggles it, players can't hurt each other.

Dark Zones got more loot. So players looking for better loot could frequent the Dark Zone for it at the cost of facing off stronger AI mobs and PvP. They also threw in some costs/benefits of either starting PvP or defending against it which made it a bid interesting for a period of time.

The only problem is that the AI mobs aren't able to keep keep OP players from domineering the weak consistently. I could see this being not an issue for Em8er only because teams of players are not just focused on killing another team but drilling and fending off large mobs/bosses.

As long as rewards are still tied to drilling cycle then OP trolling may not be effective or problematic.

Lore wise you could probably say these zones are so dangerous to mine in, they dropped the restrictions on mecha (friendly fire off so players can kill each other) while operating in the PvP zones. They could also tie the loot ties to the zone. If a team successfully mines/loots a certain item the zones loses it's PvP status that also contributes to overall world building aspect. That way you could have a rotating set of maps/zones for this sort of play.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Another thought what if there was a way to have an add on for pvp anyone using this add on would know they are at risk from getting attacked even in the pve zone this could include battle pets anyone not using the addon wouldn't be at risk.

Though thinking about it i would prefer if the pvp was set in a different zone so that it wouldnt interfere with the pve as it could get chaotic !

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
Given the current concept of the game I really don't see how PVP fits into the open world. I mean it's us against them. Why do we need to PVP each other? Other then for sport of course.... IMO FireFall PVP was very good in the works. 5v5 on pvp maps. All skills should be accessible from the PVE skill-wheel in PVP, just nerfed. Everyone has the same level skills. I don't see why with a bit of time we could have 1v1, 2v2, 5v5.