Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
DATE: 01-JAN-2024
It's January of a new year, and zero day updates are now up and running again! I'm excited to start testing some new AI assisted animation software.
Started in on Cascadeur today and will be using this week to focus on evaluating it for animations. It has single cam video based mocap as well, which may be the way to go.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg
DATE: 04-JAN-2024
Found out the FPS problem was that I had a single small button pressed that only played keyframes. The button has been located and destroyed
Did a kick animation today. The physics doesn't autogenerate this, you still have to hand animate and have the ability to animate.
Autopose, however, makes posing faster (but less precise), and physics gives it more momentum and mass in places. Overall, I'm starting to get the hang of it. But more practice is needed.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1082548393324326922/1192706461688664134/KICK.mp4

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg
DATE: 05-JAN-2024
Went through the whole Blender pipeline from modeling to export to Substance Painter. Encountered a lot of gotchas along the way.
It's easy in Blender to create duplicate polygons, and not zeroing your transformation can get you into trouble. Also there was an issue with a negative scale factor on some polygon faces.
Dealing with all this and googling until I got the answer was frustration. Renders fine in Blender, but if you don't fix these, your exports will be messed up.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg
DATE: 09-JAN-2024 (Part 1, 12 am PST)
Ran into a rig problem with Cascaduer when trying to export animations. Spent a lot of time going through the rig hierarchy and testing different things.
Getting closer to a solution. Also did some more quick modeling practice in Blender using a plug-in I've never used before.
Boxcutter does quick booleans. Getting more proficient as we prepare to start work on the mechs.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg
DATE: 09-JAN-2024 (Part 2, 11pm PST)
More Blender practice. This time getting the hang of how their UV unwrapping works, and sculpting and cloth sim brushes.
It's so much easier to learn than Maya because there is so much information out there. Try that with any other 3D package and the learning curve is twice as long, if you ever find the info you want.
Curious to see how this handles Nanite density meshes for UE5.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
discord.gg
DATE: 14-JAN-2024
Redid all exports and texturing using ColorID and UV jiggering to get around Substance's inability to make multiple materials into one map.
What a pain and could be solved by Adobe with one button which people have been asking for for years. This concludes Blender learning.
We can switch over our hardsurface modeling now. Tomorrow we are moving on to other things!

Status
Not open for further replies.