Friday Update - Omniframe Tweaks Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
Now with the redesign of the lower legs, they are too static. You should add more moving parts upload_2017-12-22_22-11-53.png
And I also have concur to Terricon4 that this really lacks the hypermasculine shoulders of the Mk. I and while they're still large they no longer look like real engines but more like support which takes away from the speedy feeling I so desperately crave.

Also, the arms are far too short in proportion, they look almost stubby. I think this is generally a problem with the lowered height and slimmer shoulders.

I don't have much of a problem with the cockpit apart from its genericness. I mean, to hell with realism, we are supposed to fight freakin' Kaiju with this thing, not realistic wars. This goes overall for the entire new design; it looks more grounded and realistic which I see as a problem.

I like the idea of the mechanized armsleeves though they look way too blocky. Go more for a direct fit to the skin and direct movement translation route than the armored look it now has.

The new head looks amazing though it is sunken too far in; extend it farther out even if the connection looks a bit feeble.

Summarizing this, I have to say this looks more soldier-like instead of cavalry-like than the original concept.

Overall I have to say this is mostly a downgrade from the Mk. I (artwork). This is too human like, you should go for something more inhuman because the Omniframe should extend the pilot beyond the limitations of humans to enable us to fight horrifying monsters.

Having said this, I don't expect any changes to be made since most others seem to be supportive of the new model. With this my personal investment in the project has gone down which I find unfortunate. In the end it'll all come down to how the gameplay feels but I expect less now; I expect it to be slower and less aerial than I originally anticipated :Ü™

ble003

Commander
Aug 7, 2016
near-human proportions was a bit jarring, but looking at it again a few hours later i don't hate it. i'll need to see it in a less neutral pose, and piloted, before i can be sure.

the picture shows-ish how a pilot would hang, right?
acr1ekf5.png

Attachments

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Okay...so I've been working with Tommaso on tweaking the Omniframe Mk I to improve the design based on the feedback you gave us. The majority of you wanted us to tweak the original frame rather than create the Mk II, which some of you felt was more generic and less mech-like.

After exchanging some drawing, photoshops and references, we finally had a direction we thought was working well. Tommaso then used Joe's great model as a starting point and began to tweak and push and pull and create new parts based on our new design.

Working from the original model saved a lot of time. You all were right: we could save a lot of time taking the original vision and doing a few tweaks instead of going with a brand new design. So we tweaked proportions, beefed up the legs, added a full seat and thicker spine and a few other goodies.

We hope you like the result as much as we do! Joe and I are thrilled, and Tommaso really gave it his all despite being sick with the flu.

Here it is:

Note that we added rollcage to the whole open cockpit, to better support the upper torso. The legs are also completely redesigned. The seat is a racing seat and instead of mechanical links to the arms, we have mechanical sleeves that the operated uses to create "mirror movements" in the MEK's arms.

Overall I feel like it turned out well. The entire thing is more believable, as if it could actually exist. It blends Japanese mecha design aesthetics with western real-life robotics similar to Boston Dynamic's walkers. An additional goal was to also bring the design of the MEK much more in-line with the THMPR, so that the two would feel like they came from the same MEK universe.

Merry Christmas, everyone! No update next week as are all on vacation. Enjoy these renders and let us know what you think!

- Grummz & the Em-8ER Team

This Version has nice improvements and this is what i love about it:

+ colour scheme looks great
+ Visor stands out more
+ Shoulders looks reinforced and sleek
+ Legs look more stylish and the feet have nice details they are now sexy feet :D

Me just being a bit picky:

- Would of liked to have seen a rear angle to be able to view the wings better.
- like to see the seated area in hard driver mode too

I am going to say i like it even though it has lost that bulky look of a traditional mech it has a
feel of a gundam wing that has gone on a diet and mashed with a raiden suit from mgs mashed with neon genesis evangalion head and the visor of robocop!

I am liking the feet they have a nice stable look with those 2 protruding parts on the sides, this makes me think it is a nice agile frame. I'll agree to what you mentioned "blends Japanese mecha design aesthetics with western real-life robotics similar to Boston Dynamic's walkers"

Quality work from all of you and even the flu didn't stop this from happening
on that note i say get well soon Tommaso and fantastic work!

Happy xmas all and a relaxing vacation ;)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
near-human proportions was a bit jarring, but looking at it again a few hours later i don't hate it. i'll need to see it in a less neutral pose, and piloted, before i can be sure.

the picture shows-ish how a pilot would hang, right?
View attachment 1261
I would of thought the pilot could be seated too maybe?
but when i look at it again standing seems much better unless you want to rest
and it puts you in a seated position and can hop out easier hmm

Then i am thinking will it have an ejector seat or just eject the pilot?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2017
Periphery, Canopus IV.

we have mechanical sleeves that the operated uses to create "mirror movements" in the MEK's arms.

- Grummz & the Em-8ER Team
id go for a more holographic interface then a boxy analog gauntlet. maybe even a blend of the 2 like what was shown in pacific rim: small clamp-thingies that goes under your elbow and around your wrist with a holographic joystick chakram in your hand... but that's just me.
other than that i'm not sure how i feel about the rest, few more angles/poses would be nice.

Veckna

Deepscanner
Feb 11, 2017
UK
I really like the new design. Especially the feet being more 'beefy' (the old feet always seemed like they'd just punch holes in the terrain and get stuck without as much surface area). I tend to lurk more than post but felt this was definitely worthy of a 'great job folks!'.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Hope you get to feeling better soon Tommaso. Thanks to you both for putting in the time and effort to get this update out ahead of the holidays!

My initial impressions are that I like the seat and roll cage, I like the rounding of the edges of the forearm (if that was done; I believe it was), and I like the lower leg/feet proportion improvements. I believe the head/sensor array on top of the frame may be a bit small, I'm on the fence regarding the shoulder rework, and I think that the lower leg/feet style is a bit too angular for this build.

In reference to the pilot/roll cage v/s something futuristic that some peeps have voiced...imagine a central pod that houses the pilot, is transparent (or not - see hard driver mode), has cables/connectors to the the pilot's geesuit (Matrix-lite), where the pilot is suspended/floats within a clear v/s colored liquid or gas (dependent on what will make the pilot and their geesuit stand out from the omni-frame a little; gotta sell those cosmetics/customization's to keep the devs fed and the servers up). Could allow for various character poses within the pod (curled up sleeping, awake and actively moving a little, sitting legs crossed with palms up meditating, etc.). This would also allow for the omni-frame to be enlarged a little and would show case that it's not a gigantic mech or some standard strap in exoskeleton.

cr00cy

Deepscanner - Emberite
Jul 28, 2016
Ok i really like this new desing. I think legs belove knees could use some more beefing up, they just feel a bit to thin compared to rest of body. But overall it looks much better than mk I, especialy around pilot seat. Overall it looks much more like military hardware.

Now only thing left is to slap some rocket launcher/mininguns on that shoulders and we are set.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
Now with the redesign of the lower legs, they are too static. You should add more moving parts View attachment 1259
And I also have concur to Terricon4 that this really lacks the hypermasculine shoulders of the Mk. I and while they're still large they no longer look like real engines but more like support which takes away from the speedy feeling I so desperately crave.

Also, the arms are far too short in proportion, they look almost stubby. I think this is generally a problem with the lowered height and slimmer shoulders.

I don't have much of a problem with the cockpit apart from its genericness. I mean, to hell with realism, we are supposed to fight freakin' Kaiju with this thing, not realistic wars. This goes overall for the entire new design; it looks more grounded and realistic which I see as a problem.

I like the idea of the mechanized armsleeves though they look way too blocky. Go more for a direct fit to the skin and direct movement translation route than the armored look it now has.

The new head looks amazing though it is sunken too far in; extend it farther out even if the connection looks a bit feeble.

Summarizing this, I have to say this looks more soldier-like instead of cavalry-like than the original concept.

Overall I have to say this is mostly a downgrade from the Mk. I (artwork). This is too human like, you should go for something more inhuman because the Omniframe should extend the pilot beyond the limitations of humans to enable us to fight horrifying monsters.

Having said this, I don't expect any changes to be made since most others seem to be supportive of the new model. With this my personal investment in the project has gone down which I find unfortunate. In the end it'll all come down to how the gameplay feels but I expect less now; I expect it to be slower and less aerial than I originally anticipated :Ü™
I thought it was perfect. But, if they go with what you say please make sure the performance doesn't take a hit with so many moving parts. So it doesn't become like arma where they have bones and such. Cause of that arma took a massive performance hit. So much that they had to remove it for dayz standalone. Tho arma engine is just terrible example, but you know what I mean.

frzn

Commander
Jan 30, 2017
Overall, this design seems more human, less unique, and less believable than previous designs. It's a gundam on the top, gundam on the bottom, and a forklift in the middle. I think the style needs to have a uniform balance of industrial vs slick mecha across the whole design so it has a consistent visual logic behind it.

I like the idea of being able to see the pilot, but I really can't buy into the pilot being that exposed while the rest of the frame has armored plates. It also makes me question why it has a human shape if I can see that the human isn't actually inserted into the limbs/head and that the pilot isn't seeing from the head's perspective. Why does it have a head at all? It made me think of this comic:

I'm going back and forth on the lower legs. It's really neat how the split between the paint and metal makes them look very organic and delicate, but it also makes them more typical of the genre. They look like they only articulate at the knee and toes but for the shape to make sense they would also need to articulate at the ankle to get that springy shock absorbing effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.