First person Demo - FEEDBACK THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meower

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
Yo timeout. From the last few demos I've tried, to now, it literally almost feels like an entirely different game. Do I still have gripes? Of course! Are there still things to work on? A ton. However, I remember this feeling distinctly when I logged into Copa Cabana the first times during the beta; a feeling of awe and wonder at the possibilities.

I love the slight cel-shading effect, yet I'm a sucker for options; is there any chance we could get our own slider? Something for an individual to really crank out that sort of style is just selfish personal preference.. but I'd love it.

THERES SOUND! We've got dropships flying and zooming around, thumpers thumping, guns gunning, and birds chirping in the middle of all of this. Feeling as if i'm in a tropical rainforest, even despite the 1second loop static, adds SUCH a level of immersion to this game. It's incredible.

Speaking of sound, the assult rifle sounds... better!? I definitely notice a huge improvement and I feel that it almost would do some damage. Still feels weak and sort of "meh" in comparison to the plasma cannon. AKA the HOSS; it sounds A LOT better. I still think the splash effect could be morphed into a deeper or darker explosion effect, but honestly, it has come SO far I'm just stunned.

It's to the point where I'm showing and talking to my friends about this.. and we're still pre-alpha'ing baby! I'm so happy and excited to see things coming together and I'm just even more pumped to see where everything goes. Kickstarter is going to knock things out of the park. Way to go Devs!!

Morihaus

Deepscanner
Apr 30, 2018
Maryland
  • When shooting the plasma rifle, if you hold down left mouse, you have to let go of the mouse for the recoil to reset.
  • Recoil for the assault rifle feels rather high. Making it's spread have a more controllable "spray" pattern, and tightening up the recoil of it would be great.
  • Additionally, recoil animations on the gun models themselves while in first person would greatly improve the weapon feel.
  • When gliding at high speeds, you'll rubberband around a lot. Jet all the way up to a cliff, jump on a jump pad, then glide straight down and you'll be able to see what I mean. Some sort of limit on how fast you can glide, low enough to avoid the odd vibrating around, would look less odd.
  • This one's more nitpicky, but being able to choose a green or red frame when you spawn would be nice.

I've been loving the new demo overall. You guys got the movement feel down pat. Controls feel great and graphics look awesome. Keep up the great work! :)

wombat

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jan 26, 2017
Yea I started to notice that too. you cant actually change a keybind you can only add more to the keybind. basically making the feature pointless because you can't actually switch which keys do what.
exactly! now i'm stuck with Q-A and E-D both bound to the same two abilities. so i figured i'd just go back and play with the default keybinds, but can't find any "reset to default" button...

Jul 31, 2016
New Jersey
www.deviantart.com
exactly! now i'm stuck with Q-A and E-D both bound to the same two abilities. so i figured i'd just go back and play with the default keybinds, but can't find any "reset to default" button...
yea Ive got V:C stuck on dash but neither do anything half the time because of the two buttons both being paired with the function. but yea I really want a reset to default button as well as a fix that just replaces key binds rather than just adds keys to them without the ability to delete them once saved.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
OK is the demo for windows 10 only? many of us with win 7 cannot get the demo to work because it says it is missing a dll file that is no where to be found. XINPUT1_4.dll. I read about finding the .dll file XINPUT1_3.dll and copy and change, but there is no dll file anywhere that I could find. I would like to try the demo and experience all the things you guys are talking about also.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
Id like to keybind the dash at some point.. Im only getting it to work with the double tap directional WASD+ space bar maybe 70% of the time.
Gonna wait till we get a reset button on the keybind option though

Jul 31, 2016
New Jersey
www.deviantart.com
OK is the demo for windows 10 only? many of us with win 7 cannot get the demo to work because it says it is missing a dll file that is no where to be found. XINPUT1_4.dll. I read about finding the .dll file XINPUT1_3.dll and copy and change, but there is no dll file anywhere that I could find. I would like to try the demo and experience all the things you guys are talking about also.
https://www.dll-files.com/xinput1_4.dll.html

This is a link to a download page for all XINPUT1_4.dll versions. If you already tried this and it doesn't work I'm not sure what else to tell you other than try upgrading to win10... but I know some people don't like it or something idk, what it is, but yea.

Laccolith

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
I'm still on Windows 7 and had this problem too. I was able to fix it by doing the following:

- Go to C:\Windows\System32
- Make a copy of "xinput1_3.dll"
- Rename the copy you just made to "xinput1_4.dll"
- Eat some red beans red bean.png red bean.png red bean.png (optional step)

- Launch game

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
unsure if this has been noted already but noted a small thing using missile swarm while in the air

occasionally it will activate deep strike instead, and locks out missile swarm. In order to unlock it , ive needed to switch to the rifle and switch between standard view , to shoulder , and then to 1st person in order to unlock it

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Loving the new demo! The flying and hovering honestly feels as if I had just started Firefall back up again, it's fantastic. I certainly appreciate your guys' hard work and will keep rooting for you!

That being said I have a couple of suggestions (feel free to ignore them if they have been announced to change already, I'm not on the forums or Discord all that much)
- The reticle recoi feels weird imo, perhaps reducing it and adding a tiny bit of camera shake would help but honestly I think I'd prefer if it was gone entirely.
- The rocket swarm doesn't really feel that impactful yet. Right after you launched the missiles, they become really hard to see before they start flying, maybe making them glow a bit would help them stand out. Something I think would look really cool would be tracer ammunition-like light streaks behind them, as has been suggested for the rifle. (Also, bigger or more visceral feeling explosions please!)
- Like many have said, the assault rifle still feels like a bit of a pea shooter :D I also think it has a bit too much spread, or at least the reticle makes it seem that way.

May 9, 2020
So I've been testing the weapons/abilities to see which one is the best for mass slaughtering Tsi-Hu. At the moment I'd rank them as:

Plasma>Missile>Rifle>Deep Strike

Deep Strike requires the setup, has its cool down, and works best for groups of Tsi-Hu spawned close to each other

With the rifle i counted a 30 round clip, with 6 rounds to the body to kill a Tsi-Hu. The two issues I had using it to dispatch multiple Tsi-Hu was a) the recoil and b) accurately getting precisely 6 shots out each time. I've noted a space around Tsi-Hu's collarbone where the hitbox doesn't register, if you fire at it the bullets pass straight through, which combined with the recoil means some body shots will miss and hit whatever's behind the Tsi-Hu. It makes the rifle suited for close-range against closely grouped/lined up Tsi-Hu where bursts will hit the Tsi-Hu or pass through and hit the ones behind it

Missile Swarm takes 2 hits to down a Tsi-Hu , but due to its unusual flight pattern and a habit of accidentally putting more than 2 locks onto closely grouped Tsi-Hu , its best to fire from an elevated position which reduces the change of it colliding with terrain and makes it easier to lock onto individual targets.

Plasma is probably the best weapon at the moment: 2 hits to kill a Tsi-Hu that doesn't need to hit directly , the arc is easy to account for making it a really good long range weapon, and the splash is great for killing multiple Tsi-Hu bunched up close together.

I feel the rifle needs either an option to switch between a semi/full auto and a small recoil reduction , or a larger reduction to recoil and no change in fire mode , and maybe the Tsi-Hu hit boxes need to be looked at

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
So I've been testing the weapons/abilities to see which one is the best for mass slaughtering Tsi-Hu. At the moment I'd rank them as:

Plasma>Missile>Rifle>Deep Strike

Deep Strike requires the setup, has its cool down, and works best for groups of Tsi-Hu spawned close to each other

With the rifle i counted a 30 round clip, with 6 rounds to the body to kill a Tsi-Hu. The two issues I had using it to dispatch multiple Tsi-Hu was a) the recoil and b) accurately getting precisely 6 shots out each time. I've noted a space around Tsi-Hu's collarbone where the hitbox doesn't register, if you fire at it the bullets pass straight through, which combined with the recoil means some body shots will miss and hit whatever's behind the Tsi-Hu. It makes the rifle suited for close-range against closely grouped/lined up Tsi-Hu where bursts will hit the Tsi-Hu or pass through and hit the ones behind it

Missile Swarm takes 2 hits to down a Tsi-Hu , but due to its unusual flight pattern and a habit of accidentally putting more than 2 locks onto closely grouped Tsi-Hu , its best to fire from an elevated position which reduces the change of it colliding with terrain and makes it easier to lock onto individual targets.

Plasma is probably the best weapon at the moment: 2 hits to kill a Tsi-Hu that doesn't need to hit directly , the arc is easy to account for making it a really good long range weapon, and the splash is great for killing multiple Tsi-Hu bunched up close together.

I feel the rifle needs either an option to switch between a semi/full auto and a small recoil reduction , or a larger reduction to recoil and no change in fire mode , and maybe the Tsi-Hu hit boxes need to be looked at
Ah what about burst fire mode too having the choice of semi/burst/auto
I am guessing burst and semi would have less recoil than full auto but i like full auto so its easier on my finger :D

May 9, 2020
Ah what about burst fire mode too having the choice of semi/burst/auto
I am guessing burst and semi would have less recoil than full auto but i like full auto so its easier on my finger :D
That would be great, go from increase accuracy/reduced recoil to faster fire rate so : semi>burst>full

Would give the rifle more flexibility when it comes to range & # of targets

road#7061

Forerunner
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah.. changing the hotkey functions for movement does nothing... it just adds another key.. which does nothing..
Tried to change move forward to S.. now forward and backward use S, and only backward applies.

Aside from that it seems solid, except for some slightly slippery terrain.

Kassatsu

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Omni Ace
Jun 13, 2017
Bit of feedback on the gameplay from what I've seen so far:
The plasma cannon recoil is a bit intense in firstperson. Either make it less severe, or remove the auto-correction that resets your view as it can be very disorienting, even more-so with the view automatically snapping back down. Related: Assault rifle accuracy seems to be a bit hard to get used to in thirdperson. Could just be a matter of experience. It's fine in firstperson, but the crosshair moving around the screen in thirdperson can be awkward to aim with. It's not nearly as much of an issue with the plasma cannon as the crosshair is back to center before it can be fired again.

The missile swarm seems like it tends to hit terrain and other static objects when fired too close to or from the ground, I assume this is unintended but if not I'd like them to more reliably avoid static obstacles.

I also pressed 'L' and my gun decided to snap to a strange angle in my hands, and oddly resize itself once holstered, part of it appeared to be attached to the foot. I have no idea what this bind is supposed to do but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Status
Not open for further replies.