Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
FIRST ...

OHMYGOD THE DEMO IS SUPER MEGA AWESOME SAUCE!!

SECOND ...

THE AWESOME STUFF I SAW:
- More coral and colors of coral were added
- The Tsi-Hu look different too - blue and glowy red bits
- Rocks/Boulders in the terrain look like rocks/boulders
- The demo feels better too
- 1st person mode is in and working
- Dropships are in ... and DERPY, just like they should be!!
- I forgot to add that I DO like those new reticles on the Missle Swarm!! :cool:

DEMO WISHLIST:
- A free cam mode for taking videos/screenshots
- A volume control panel

Bug find- you can surf on a dropship by jumping on it as it is picking up/dropping off THUMPrs. Go for a ride until it disappears.
I agree with @Wyntyr on this one:
"Not a bug...please not a bug...lol." :cool:

I was VERY EXCITED earlier because I found the invisible sliding bug!! WOOHOO, I found a bug!! LOL!!

Last edited:

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
-The Red skin is cool, I think adding more colors will make things look better cause not everyone will look exactly the same.
-After tinkering with the FoV sliders it noticed it works less like FoV but more of like a zoom which is kinda weird for people who like to play and a narrow FoV cause your "eyes" end up on the gun barrel which looks awkward.
-When going for a slide in first person my camera gets stuck looking in one direction and i'm unable to aim until I stop.
-I purpose that in first person the minimum FoV to be around 115 and give the ability to zoom like in third person with "Alt" or "Right Mouse Button" to zoom to the minimum FoV which is 82.(If FoV will continue to work this way)
-It's difficult to know when you're reloading in first person, I suggest making the reticle change to a loading circle that will show when you're reloading.
Bugs/Glitches:
-Plasma Cannon reticle doesn't retract to smaller size after you stop firing, only after you fire the assault rifle once.
-If I trigger missile swarm while holding left mouse (Firing) it keeps firing non stop and I am able to use missile swarm, it also appears to add a stack of of non disappearing lock on markers in a certain direction
-Faster Sliding results at much faster rate of fire on the Assault Rifle.
-If you jump between two specific rocks and try to make yourself hover and hold Space you launch yourself way up until you leave the map and and then you're stuck there.
Video:
Screenshot (84).jpg
Screenshot (87).jpg
Generally the Demo is really fun from the PvP i can feel PvE will be fast an amazing. Keep up the good work!

Edit:
I was able to recreate the glitch more consistently using first person.
All you need to do it jump on the line i marked in red without using jets and stay in this sort of falling mode and hold space. (You can move left and right to move yourself on that line)
Screenshot (89).jpg

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
One issue i had was when using the missiles on the ground sometimes it would not register not all the time but it happens.

What i liked:
- Looks much nicer than before with the textures, the sky and lighting update superb.

- Dropship looks very cool to finally see it fly across & hope we can go inside the dropship eventually.

- A 3 hour + stream but nothing can beat 90'000 pages novel you have much work to do :p

- like the things you mentioned
+ Sense of progression
+ having a place to call home
+ Social setting
+ creative freedom

- The planet idea is good makes sense to me i don't smoke if i did my imagination may be even worst.
I have indulged on choco cake for my inspirational dreams.

- First person is nice but a little improvements such as perhaps seeing the feet parts when sliding
or if we could first person glide and when changing weapons having some movement with the arms or some kind of effect that materializes the weapon.

- Riding a drop ship was fun gave me a free sky travel to then use my glider :cool:

- I like the idea of different manufacturers too those made the frame styles different even the weapons even the vehicles etc.

- moving Mek totem would be a thing against kaiju maybe... i like to see that !

Bug find- Separate from the dropships some can see and some cannot.. there is a random dropship invisible to all except for its blue thrusters that flies by every so often. Also this particular dropship is carrying a suspended THMPR that is spinning in place under it as it flies by.
stealth ship!

Wish list + "riding the derp-ships" Not a Bug >> AGREED!!
:cool:

Things i like to see is:

- Different reticule styles

- Firing modes to just hold down a button optional such as semi-auto, burst fire and auto
depending on the weapon if it was set on auto would just mean its easier for the finger.

- Add stealth tech for dropships to temporarily stealth as a cool effect in dangerous spots and uncloak
perhaps it could be a skin exclusive stealth reaper!

- Like the red alternate mek hope there is going to be more styles!!!!!!

- Like to be able to play as a pilot and get in and out of the mek too

Keep up the good work G-man & the Crixia Reapers

SSH83

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
Pretty much every design thing Grummz said in stream sounds like gold to me. But the boss-hunt instance + gear approach needs careful tempering.

Firstly, the effort to pump out well-crafted boss encounter is huge and people will beat your new boss in a day and whine about being bored.

Instead, Em8er can take a page from Pacific Rim: Kaiju mutates. So design kaiju not as a WoW single-encounter, but something with different modular parts that changes its mechanic. When the boss is designed this way, you can add new mechanics to a boss with reduced cost to counter popular player strategies and extend its playable time. You can bring back old favorites with minimal dev cost adding new mutations and it would feel right rather than a lazy reskin.

Secondly, gear drop dictates the play pattern. So if gear comes from instances, every player is going to be in an instance instead of the shared world. The focus must always be on open world.

Let's say that the player can enter the rift to fight the boss any time for fun (or to help a friend), but to "harvest" the kaiju's core, they need a one-use harvester. That harvester is only rewarded after the player/clan successfully defends a tech facility long enough for it to finish crafting a batch. This way the player can fight Kaiju any time for fun (or help their friend), but gear progression is focused on the open world.

On a side note, skin-mute is ingenious. lol. Instead of making censorship a sword that decapitates liberty, let it be a shield/filter that only affects the needy.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
Pretty much every design thing Grummz said in stream sounds like gold to me. But the boss-hunt instance + gear approach needs careful tempering.

Firstly, the effort to pump out well-crafted boss encounter is huge and people will beat your new boss in a day and whine about being bored.

Instead, Em8er can take a page from Pacific Rim: Kaiju mutates. So design kaiju not as a WoW single-encounter, but something with different modular parts that changes its mechanic. When the boss is designed this way, you can add new mechanics to a boss with reduced cost to counter popular player strategies and extend its playable time. You can bring back old favorites with minimal dev cost adding new mutations and it would feel right rather than a lazy reskin.

Secondly, gear drop dictates the play pattern. So if gear comes from instances, every player is going to be in an instance instead of the shared world. The focus must always be on open world.

Let's say that the player can enter the rift to fight the boss any time for fun (or to help a friend), but to "harvest" the kaiju's core, they need a one-use harvester. That harvester is only rewarded after the player/clan successfully defends a tech facility long enough for it to finish crafting a batch. This way the player can fight Kaiju any time for fun (or help their friend), but gear progression is focused on the open world.

On a side note, skin-mute is ingenious. lol. Instead of making censorship a sword that decapitates liberty, let it be a shield/filter that only affects the needy.
I thought we THUMPed and crafted all our gear?

Jan 26, 2017
I didn't get a chance to play the demo during the stream (*shakes fist at job*) but played around in it for a bit today.

A few of my thoughts:

First, really like the inclusion of first person mode in this game, even at its current WIP stage. The very first thought I had when using it was how much i would appreciate separate mouse sensitivity sliders for 1st and 3rd person modes. I've adjusted my sensitiy slider to be what i feel natural in 3rd person, but in 1st person the same sensitivity felt....not awful but not good.

I swear I must be going crazy, but it seems like compared to being in 3rd person, there seems to be a slight blur or 'looking through dirty glasses' when in 1st person. There's something odd about it that I can't fully put my finger on. Anyone else experiencing something like this? (all setting epic)

I also noticed that sprinting while in 1st person, I didn't immediately get a greater sense of speed. It was there when I looked for it but it doesn't currently feel all that faster when in 1st person. Maybe its the lack of animations in its current stage and camera motion like we have in 3rd person.

I don't know if its new this build of if I've just missed it before - but I'm loving that little spin the crosshair does upon an enemy kill.

I also noticed that when sliding in first person, you can see the 'impact' in the ground from your legs, which feels wonky considering you can't see your own legs in 1st. In a similar vein, the impact debris from crater/deepstryke could probably be toned down a tad in 1st person due to it near bliding you for half a second - which is especially jarring seeing nothing but brown dust immediatly upon returning to 1st person from 3rd while using the ability.
(VIDEO LINK)

Lastly, recoil. In first person, the assault rifle's recoil feels good and natural. Reticle bloom could be fine tuned a bit yet but the overall feeling of the recoil effect feels nice. However, the recoil on the plasma cannon while in first person feels genuinely bad right now, and I'd say probably its due to how large and how slow it is. It goes uuuuuuppp and then doooooowwwwn. It does kinda match how the animation of the cannon goes in 3rd person but this doesn't feel good in 1st.

And now for some bugs and other wonky stuff I encountered:

At one point i ended up carrying my AR around in one hand, not sure how it was triggered.
(VIDEO LINK)

When firing the plasma cannon in first person, the recoil will sometimes, but not always, stick at the top of the arc when holding down left click.
(VIDEO LINK)

Not really a bug, but kinda a wonky thing right now. The plasma cannon is right hand locked, but the AR is left hand locked, so with some of the way the arms move around the AR will start floating around from the right hand would be gripping it from.
(VIDEO LINK)

Various weird things happening when weapon switching while gliding, depending on whether you were in 3rd, 3rd zoomed, or 1st person mode.
(VIDEO LINK)

Oh look, I've discovered Pilot 1st Person mode.
(VIDEO LINK)

THMPRs (in this case the glitched persistant THMPRs) cycle through their drop animations complete with screen shake whenever they enter your draw distance - regardless of if they've done it before.
(VIDEO LINK)

The tracer rounds, which I really like being in this game, seem to spawn directly out of the reticle while in 1st person, which is no bueno.
(VIDEO LINK)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I didn't get a chance to play the demo during the stream (*shakes fist at job*) but played around in it for a bit today.

A few of my thoughts:

First, really like the inclusion of first person mode in this game, even at its current WIP stage. The very first thought I had when using it was how much i would appreciate separate mouse sensitivity sliders for 1st and 3rd person modes. I've adjusted my sensitiy slider to be what i feel natural in 3rd person, but in 1st person the same sensitivity felt....not awful but not good.

I swear I must be going crazy, but it seems like compared to being in 3rd person, there seems to be a slight blur or 'looking through dirty glasses' when in 1st person. There's something odd about it that I can't fully put my finger on. Anyone else experiencing something like this? (all setting epic)

I also noticed that sprinting while in 1st person, I didn't immediately get a greater sense of speed. It was there when I looked for it but it doesn't currently feel all that faster when in 1st person. Maybe its the lack of animations in its current stage and camera motion like we have in 3rd person.

I don't know if its new this build of if I've just missed it before - but I'm loving that little spin the crosshair does upon an enemy kill.

I also noticed that when sliding in first person, you can see the 'impact' in the ground from your legs, which feels wonky considering you can't see your own legs in 1st. In a similar vein, the impact debris from crater/deepstryke could probably be toned down a tad in 1st person due to it near bliding you for half a second - which is especially jarring seeing nothing but brown dust immediatly upon returning to 1st person from 3rd while using the ability.
(VIDEO LINK)

Lastly, recoil. In first person, the assault rifle's recoil feels good and natural. Reticle bloom could be fine tuned a bit yet but the overall feeling of the recoil effect feels nice. However, the recoil on the plasma cannon while in first person feels genuinely bad right now, and I'd say probably its due to how large and how slow it is. It goes uuuuuuppp and then doooooowwwwn. It does kinda match how the animation of the cannon goes in 3rd person but this doesn't feel good in 1st.

And now for some bugs and other wonky stuff I encountered:

At one point i ended up carrying my AR around in one hand, not sure how it was triggered.
(VIDEO LINK)

When firing the plasma cannon in first person, the recoil will sometimes, but not always, stick at the top of the arc when holding down left click.
(VIDEO LINK)

Not really a bug, but kinda a wonky thing right now. The plasma cannon is right hand locked, but the AR is left hand locked, so with some of the way the arms move around the AR will start floating around from the right hand would be gripping it from.
(VIDEO LINK)

Various weird things happening when weapon switching while gliding, depending on whether you were in 3rd, 3rd zoomed, or 1st person mode.
(VIDEO LINK)

Oh look, I've discovered Pilot 1st Person mode.
(VIDEO LINK)

THMPRs (in this case the glitched persistant THMPRs) cycle through their drop animations complete with screen shake whenever they enter your draw distance - regardless of if they've done it before.
(VIDEO LINK)

The tracer rounds, which I really like being in this game, seem to spawn directly out of the reticle while in 1st person, which is no bueno.
(VIDEO LINK)
last link is set to private :oops:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US

YES PLEASE!

syna

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
dunno how intentional it is, but this demo is shipped with debug info in archive, FirstPersonDemo\Em8erMovement\Binaries\Win64\Em8erMovementClient-Win64-Shipping.pdb
which makes for 638/110M of useless data for just about everyone :)

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia

-If you jump between two specific rocks and try to make yourself hover and hold Space you launch yourself way up until you leave the map and and then you're stuck there.
- I actually did this right in front of you when you were online a minute or two ago. You have to glide, hit slightly angled surface at high speed to slide, then immediately hover. As soon as you stop hovering, the effect stops, but you have to give it a moment before you glide again. It also causes audio glitches.
- Pressing 'L' when wielding the assault rifle makes the model unlock from your hand in 1st and 3rd person. When gliding, it sometimes appears on your right thigh and cannot be fired. It sometimes corrects itself when you land.
- The 1st person sliding is very janky. It seems to turn you where you're sliding, then jolts back to the direction you were originally facing.
- The dust clouds appear ahead of you in 1st person (though, it suppose it makes sense since you're pushing it out of the way)
- If you lock your missiles on an enemy, then start gliding, the lock moves on to a specific point underneath the map. No missiles will fire at that position and the only way to remove it seems to be killing the target you originally locked. Interestingly, if you lock on a target then kill them before the missiles hit them, they'll track towards this position underneath the map

I like the plasma cannon, but the recoil is really not satisfying since it only goes horizontally up. I would think a weapon with that power would actually push you back as well.

The positives though?
+ Love the lighting
+ Love the new color scheme
+ Come here dropship, I'm gonna ride you and you're gonna like it

Last edited:

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
- I actually did this right in front of you when you were online a minute or two ago. You have to glide, hit slightly angled surface at high speed to slide, then immediately hover. As soon as you stop hovering, the effect stops, but you have to give it a moment before you glide again. It also causes audio glitches.
If you look at the video i don't need to glide or anything, i updated my post with more precise instructions to do the glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.