About melee weapons

DeDa4oK

Firstclaimer
Mar 10, 2017
Russia, Moscow
What I really want to see more in the game is the large selection of melee weapons.
Such as hand or fist weapons (claws), dagger, sword, axe, polearm, scythe, hammer, knife, mace.
Have the ability to switch from main to a melee weapon.

Also I want to see different styles of grip, like reverse grip with knifes.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I got to agree with you and different melee suitable for variable situation and some better suited to the mech types.
All those images have made me dream of how fun it could be for example light framed mechs with dual melee chop chop chop.

Could see the heavier one's with more Heavier melee types like lance, and hammer

mediums i guess would have a good selection but would struggle with the heavier weapons

So perhaps the melee weapons depends on the weight of the weapon/size and the slot spaces

I love the claws like wolverine perhaps they could even be extendable too? and the katana that sure reminds me of the Cyborg ninja from Metal gear solid :cool:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I'll agree with having a melee sub weapon to switch to. Since I love heavy play styles with a shield, I would go with a lance. Situation would be to use the lance on the larger kaiju. Having some kind of EMP or static charge that messes with the cybernetics would be awesome.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I personally don't like melee weapons at all. maybe ramming like rhino use to do but other than that nah. I rather hit them with the bud of my riffle animation. Melee on dead island and dying light just bores me to death. I can't wait to have bullets to start shooting. I just don't like fps games for melee

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I personally don't like melee weapons at all. maybe ramming like rhino use to do but other than that nah. I rather hit them with the bud of my riffle animation. Melee on dead island and dying light just bores me to death. I can't wait to have bullets to start shooting. I just don't like fps games for melee
I hear you - but I love Dying Light style. That is about the only Melee I like - because it really makes me feel like I am doing something.

Waving a big long sword around and just watching a health bar go down is lame.

Swinging a big cleaver on a Zombie arm and chopping it off, that is a winner for me.

If we don't have dismembering, then I won't want to me doing melee much...

Jul 26, 2016
I get this.

I have different reason why I don't like melee in shooters though.

In Shadow Warrior 2, you have a melee system that has both long range attacks and short range attacks which makes it fit in a world full of guns. But it has one problem. There is very rarely a situation where a player locks swords with enemies and is forced to fight a real melee fight. It's basically like the game Bushido Blade. The faster and more capable person wins in the first stroke.

It's not as satisfying as something like the Witcher games were you got to parry, block, dodge, change stances and use a variety of melee attacks to win. But when you have bullets flying around and dealing with waves of enemies doing something like that is not possible. It would have to be more like the Shadow Warrior 2 version. Though SW2 version is so darn powerful not only because the damage of the attacks is high or because the speed of attacks is high but because the game has this spammable dodge rush movement ability which allows players to literally dodge bullets.

[edit]
Pighead Elderberry is correct.
I have played other co-op games that mixes shooters with melee systems and the without the satisfaction of seeing the damage a melee weapon does, it becomes a pointless waste of space in the game.

for example: skyforge
You may notice that both the shooters and melee characters have the same effect on the enemies they face. It's not as fun and unless if you are hooked to the game and got friends playing it, you may never actually bother trying out all the classes since they all effectively have the same visual effect on enemies.

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
As long as we have some really rewarding visceral sounds and visual DISMEMBERING I will be perfectly happy with Melee.

If we are just waving around melee weapons in animation sequences and seeing a health bar go down on a Tsi-Hu beast but there is no DISMEMBERING than I will be bored stiff.

Melee with visceral feeling of impacts and doing damage - winner.

Melee with just an animation of striking and a health bar draining - loser.

We want to FEEL that we are doing damage with Melee for it to work for us here! We.

Jul 27, 2016
Melee is meant to be a backup. The game is about gunplay first. While I want to see melee weapons be more fleshed out than they were in Firefall, I don't want them to be a dominating style of combat. Melee can work, but it should be something you work to make viable, and even then, is situational.

EDIT: I'm not against melee. I personally had quite a bit of fun messing with a melee based Raptor in Firefall. But I want it to remain situational, ie when you're getting mauled in close in melee, you throw a punch to give yourself time to reload. Remember, the Tsi-Hu in their beast forms are supposed to break our faces in melee. The game can't launch and say "Oh suddenly the Tsi-Hu are inferior in melee!".

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I get this.

I have different reason why I don't like melee in shooters though.

for example: skyforge
You may notice that both the shooters and melee characters have the same effect on the enemies they face. It's not as fun and unless if you are hooked to the game and got friends playing it, you may never actually bother trying out all the classes since they all effectively have the same visual effect on enemies.
That is what I am talking about, but it is even worse than I imagined possible!

The example shows the player pulling out his melee weapon and waving it over his head where it acts exactly the same as the ranged weapons! WTF! Could they have made "melee" more bad? I don't think so.

Jul 26, 2016
Melee is meant to be a backup. The game is about gunplay first. While I want to see melee weapons be more fleshed out than they were in Firefall, I don't want them to be a dominating style of combat. Melee can work, but it should be something you work to make viable, and even then, is situational.
that reminds me...

I remember one PTS version when Cowboy was still with them.
I got a sword drop that gave instant death only if you attacked from behind and aimed for a weak spot, installed that on one of the snipers and then game changed for me. Before I was taking out everything at extreme long ranges as much as possible. After that drop, the sniper turned into mid-range style and constantly trying to get that instant kill like a ninja would. I liked that sword because the damage was greater when used properly and a lot weaker when used improperly. That type of melee system would be cool for me.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
I'd like to see hi-tech looking hatchets (Latest gundam had several types I liked a lot like this one), claws. Personally I don't like swords and other "medieval" stuff.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Guys just FYI melee is a separate and unique weapon slot and the weapon is integrated into the omniframe. You won't be holding it in your hand like a sword. I have a sneaky suspicion that melee in Em-8er will be somewhat Mass Effecty.

Jul 27, 2016
Guys just FYI melee is a separate and unique weapon slot and the weapon is integrated into the omniframe. You won't be holding it in your hand like a sword. I have a sneaky suspicion that melee in Em-8er will be somewhat Mass Effecty.
Once again, keep in mind that melee is not supposed to be a fully viable thing here. Tsi-Hu are supposed to wreck us in melee in their beast forms.

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
Simple way to make melee weapons a "filler" for specific situations:
Make a melee strike fast and strong, but with a cooldown --> high burst, but low continuous dps
Add a knockback with a weak stun (against small enemies) and done.

The outcome would be melee attacks to support the play with guns, by finishing low hp targets or knocking the enemy back, to allow the player to back up and regain some distance.

Also, since hp do not simply regenerate, and armor exists, there could be specific types of melee weapons that allow to leech some hp or to damage the enemy's armor faster.

Jul 27, 2016
Simple way to make melee weapons a "filler" for specific situations:
Make a melee strike fast and strong, but with a cooldown --> high burst, but low continuous dps
Add a knockback with a weak stun (against small enemies) and done.

The outcome would be melee attacks to support the play with guns, by finishing low hp targets or knocking the enemy back, to allow the player to back up and regain some distance.

Also, since hp do not simply regenerate, and armor exists, there could be specific types of melee weapons that allow to leech some hp or to damage the enemy's armor faster.
Good ideas here. AOE on melee weapons can work too(they're meant to be an oh #&^@! tool), to get things off of you. But also make sure they interrupt whatever action you're doing, so you have to think-do I hit now, then reload, or do I risk trying to reload and having to use my melee during it?

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
Once again, keep in mind that melee is not supposed to be a fully viable thing here. Tsi-Hu are supposed to wreck us in melee in their beast forms.
This.

We need to have circumstances where we will be horrified, overwhelmed, and slaughtered.

This lore doesn't have super laser-swords that are somehow better than a shotgun with explosive pellets. Nobody is going to go in with a melee weapon when there are guns.

If you are thinking melee, you are thinking of another game. Maybe something adapted from manga.

The only melee concept I've heard of are our thumpers and their monster-equivalent duking it out.

Jul 27, 2016
This.

We need to have circumstances where we will be horrified, overwhelmed, and slaughtered.

This lore doesn't have super laser-swords that are somehow better than a shotgun with explosive pellets. Nobody is going to go in with a melee weapon when there are guns.

If you are thinking melee, you are thinking of another game. Maybe something adapted from manga.

The only melee concept I've heard of are our thumpers and their monster-equivalent duking it out.
I'm fine with melee EXISTING. I just don't want it to be viable unless you're a high-tier frame and you spec into it heavily, ie at the cost of being half-decent at anything else. I'm okay with a crappy cooldown-based melee weapon. That's fine, because you can't use it as a primary. With how large our frames are, punches should hurt. I'm cool with that. I just don't want to see people turning their Omniframes into Monks from D&D.

DeDa4oK

Firstclaimer
Mar 10, 2017
Russia, Moscow
This.

For example, Warframe have big amount of melee weapons. It's pve game, many ppl use melee weapons for killing mobs! One more thing from post of omniframe-gameplay - "Melee damage is progressively more effective against equal sized or smaller targets, and progressively less effective at targets larger than the attacker.". And this one - "Light frametypes: Light frametypes have an additional slot for their melee weapon and can dual wield melee weapons.". Have you any questions now??

Jul 27, 2016
While light frames may be able to do melee better than the others, keep in mind the lore states that Tsi-Hu are supposed to shred us in melee when in their beast forms.

I think the lore contradicts itself here though, and that could use some clearing up.