About melee weapons

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Tsi-Shu are the guys in humanoid form that shapeshift to melee creatures temporarily and can beat you up if your injured from the Tsi-Shu energy fire or your too close for extended period of time. That doesn't sound like a "We suck at melee" thing that sounds more like a manouvering and timing type situation. There is nothing that suggests that meleeing is considered automatic death but then again there is no virtual ground to stand on just yet and its a wait and see thing but denying the possibilites before there is even the possibility is kinda pointless.

Jul 27, 2016
Tsi-Shu are the guys in humanoid form that shapeshift to melee creatures temporarily and can beat you up if your injured from the Tsi-Shu energy fire or your too close for extended period of time. That doesn't sound like a "We suck at melee" thing that sounds more like a manouvering and timing type situation. There is nothing that suggests that meleeing is considered automatic death but then again there is no virtual ground to stand on just yet and its a wait and see thing but denying the possibilites before there is even the possibility is kinda pointless.
The lore pretty much states that Tsi-Hu would turn into their melee form and rip us apart.

The lore pretty much states that Tsi-Hu would turn into their melee form and rip us apart.
did anyone say that that happens within second instead of liek a minute? and Kaiju generally, so CAT2 would probably rip apart someone who got surprised or was not prepared for that, yes, but how about some1 who has made jsut a build to fight them? (heavy has a carryable shield after all) - and none said that CAT0 and CAT1 are that good in melee combat

Jul 27, 2016
did anyone say that that happens within second instead of liek a minute? and Kaiju generally, so CAT2 would probably rip apart someone who got surprised or was not prepared for that, yes, but how about some1 who has made jsut a build to fight them? (heavy has a carryable shield after all) - and none said that CAT0 and CAT1 are that good in melee combat
Cat0 are swarmers-1v1, yes, we'll stomp on them(probably literally), but in numbers they are strong. Cat 1 is decently sized and I expect to be strong in melee.

Nobody's given a timeframe, but the lore has made it sound like they're fast and efficient killers. I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to spec heavily into melee to go toe-to-toe with them, but we shouldn't be running around with greatswords and spears and stuff, cutting through hordes.

Cat0 are swarmers-1v1, yes, we'll stomp on them(probably literally), but in numbers they are strong. Cat 1 is decently sized and I expect to be strong in melee.

Nobody's given a timeframe, but the lore has made it sound like they're fast and efficient killers. I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to spec heavily into melee to go toe-to-toe with them, but we shouldn't be running around with greatswords and spears and stuff, cutting through hordes.
well, you probably also missed the vision book, which contains stuff about melee weapons, and those that git easily killed were, as it seems, untrained non-combat pilots. (i talked with Degiance quite a bit about it.)

Jul 27, 2016
well, you probably also missed the vision book, which contains stuff about melee weapons, and those that git easily killed were, as it seems, untrained non-combat pilots. (i talked with Degiance quite a bit about it.)
I have the book, didn't see that specific part. I had assumed they'd use combat omniframes as a standard.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Also if i can interject here. As this is going clearly off topic by draggin lore in to this.
Lore is usually there to tell us what has happend and not there to tell us what will happen. Otherwise what's the point of making a game when everything you do or plan to or even think about doing is foretold in the lore. (Considering the amount of people foretelling the end of the world every year.)
I have read that part about the first hostile contact happend the things it doesn't mention how well equipped the guys were who were attacked. (The general vibe i got from reading was:"Whoa look at the floating thingies, their pretty. What the...? AARGH! Their attacking!?" *bunch of panicked people trying to jet the hell out of there hauling tons of crap with them* The stink of basic human greed and desperation all over that one.)
If you take in to consideration they might have been just a explorative team with no real weapons or armor other than the basic stock armor since they most likely didn't expect there being anything that would attack them. (Considering human nature) Taking in mind that all that stuff would just be in the way of mining and explorative digging as they had clear orders to collect as much material as they can, then return back. (If we fall under the realm of presuming or assumptions.)

Then there is the part of the lore where they start fighting back againts the Tsi-shu and actually push those Tsi-shu back and then discover that EMP hit and run tactic. (It doesn't really specify what kind of EMP device it was.. Unless i misread that part. But still i wouldn't go around saying:"The EMP is too big and clumsy to be detonated from range, you have to carry it in middle of all those Tsi-shu for it to be effective, making melee the only option!" but that wouldn't be anymore true as:"We suck at melee Tsi-shu don't". If i wanted to ignore all the realms of possibility just to enforce my limited imaginative view on the matter as the absolute truth. )

Mind you im all good respecting the lore in major events and being picky in minor details that actually have long lasting effects that will make every other person go like:"Wait a minute..".
But not when it's used as a road block on gameplay options and overall strategic combat choices as a absolute no-no before the game is even out.

Jul 27, 2016
I'm okay with small melee weapons that are either 'oh crap!' tools, or something that you can specialize into. I just don't see people running around with big melee weapons. While I'm okay with(specialized) melee being viable, I do not think it fits with the theme of the game to have swords and spears in the mix with heavy machine guns and sniper rifles.

I do want basic 'oh crap' melee to be a thing. Every frame should have access to a 'get off me!' punch, kick, pistolwhip, whatever. But you should have to specialize and work for it if you want your melee to be viable.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Finally some middle-ground. *fanfare*

But you should have to specialize and work for it if you want your melee to be viable.
Im with you there 100% last thing i wanna see is whole bunch of wanna-be chucklehead ninjas or knights in tin foil armor charging in who's main goal is to blame everyone else for their personal imperfections as they exprience a miserable gruesome (and sometimes incredibly hilarious death if your somewhere far away watching it happen) with in a game that was designed around skill. (At least i hope they stick to that creed.. Skill is its own reward in my oppion especially when you can measure it by what you have done and how much you can improve but i digress.)

I wouldn't mind there being like a challange of some sort that would allow you to earn the use of bigger melee weapons so there is still at least the option for them but you gotta earn it. (Especially if it isn't just some silly gear test type of thing but test of actual skill in your ability to move, react and your ability to work with a team. That and ofc your effectivness being in melee in mostly gun dominated game.)

Jul 27, 2016
well, we probably dont get spears cuz spears suck, helebards would be more realistic or warhammers or sledgehammer like weapon.
And you can also see that melee will be a thing by the light's ability to DUAL WIELD MELEE weapons.
I already conceded your point. I get the feeling that melee weapons will be one handed though-I don't think a light will be dual wielding halberds. The game so far seems to have primary weapons as 2h, secondary as 1h, and melee as 1h.