DevTracker

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I felt player feedback was listened to too much. Part of the reason why they had rebuilt the game so many times in my opinion.
Just about every forum for just about every game has a bunch of conflicting feedback. It's the nature of the beast.
That isn't the source of the problem. It's a matter of cause verses symptom.
When those in charge of development are clear and unified on the vision internally the outside feedback has a more measured impact. But when those in charge are split or at odds with each other on what to do then outside feedback can be very disorienting and lead to strange changes.

EDIT: aaaaand grummz just made it abundantly clear that in house was where the issue was......heh. Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
To be honest, I had a hard time getting the upper mgt to go with my ideas. There was an internal struggle between doing something new (which is hard) and doing WoW with guns. You can see who won in the end.

I was very much a proponent of being hands off at the time, and for the last year of FF dev I was away fighting The9 constantly on other issues.

This time i'm going to remain on the ground level and shop floor and always be present to guide the vision on a daily basis. When we are small that's easy enough. If we get large that means hiring a President to run the business side of things so I can remain focused.

I threw wallet at Firefall. Will throw wallet Ember. However... one thing I never quite got to the bottom of is this: Firefall looked so close to the 2nd milestone. It had invasion. It had repulsors. It had bases. It had turrets. It had crafting. It had escalating enemy strength. The only thing left was adding deployable platforms that allow players to pour resource to push back the melding then build stuff to defend territory.

Why did the game abandon that and go into grinding INSTANCES? Why did it abandon that to go into arena eSport? Why did it abandon player-driven narrative to... static, play-once story quests? Why kill frame customization to become DotA-clone?

Then, whatever the reasons were, how will Ember tackle those issues to stay on course?

I want to hear Kern talk about this, but while we wait... we might as well speculate..