DevTracker

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hi, I'm curious about a few things. When we talk about recoil, there are several things as designers that we do:

1) Barrel climb. This is a steady rise of the barrel after each round. The barrel come back to neutral on slower firing weapons, and "climbs" on full auto weapons. CS:GO has this.

2) Spread & Jitter. This is how the "cone of fire" where you bullets may land randomly in that cone, the random aspect being the "jitter" and can be fully random or weighted towards the center, for example. The more you fire continuously, the more Spread & Jitter grows. Sometimes, this is done whey you jump or bunny-hop, to discourage this type of movement.

3) Screen Shake: This is where we shake the screen for a few frames and a few pixels up/down/left/right and tilt. We do all this without moving your actual aim point. This is often to convey the power and feeling of firing a weapon, without changing your aim.

*Some* or all of these are necessary to convey the feeling of more powerful weapons or to make the act of firing a weapon feel good and satisfying. As CliffyB likes to say, a good weapon feels good just firing at a blank wall.

My own inclination is to not have CS:GO style recoil on everything (in fact, on nothing or highly moderated for some weapons). But in some cases it will be there. Spread and Jitter will likely be far less prevalent than in FF. Screen shake, just a little, is still necessary IMHO for slower firing powerful weapons, or they just don't feel good to shoot or feel powerful.

One thing you will def see much less of: Bullet sponges. In FF, enemies took too many bullets in Beta to kill, which gets boring. I'd rather have you dispatch more creatures than sit there taking 1.5 clips of an assault gun to kill an Arahana. In cases were we do have higher HP monsters, you will see progressive damage so its more saisfying and you see progress even if they take a lot of bullets.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Heya Vlad
The exact Art style is still being decided on. Some of the firefall-esque Udon Style may still be a part of it but at least some clear differences are likely.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
For what it's worth...
Classes or roles do not inherently have to mean the mmo trinity. There are many ways roles on the battlefield.

Also a modular/free build system does not mean that the equivalent of classes won't be available. And it certainly doesn't prevent building for certain specific combat roles.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
I'm not a fan of screen shake, but I am ok with cool downs/spin ups/reticle bloom/reticle shake(mini gun) You have to maintain some difficulty in maintaining sustained fire, or it simply becomes a "hold mouse button and run" game.
That is overselling a bit. I am more than fine with things like cooldowns/spin ups/reticle shake(mini gun) and what not in some cases.That said, the difficulty of combat comes from more than just how hard it is to maintain sustained fire.

For example: The latest doom is not an easier-to-beat combat experience than the variety of military shooters on the market these days. Difficulty to maintain sustained fore does not guarantee a difficult to beat game inherently, nor does easy to sustain fire guarantee an easy to beat combat model.

We have to remember than everything is relative to it's counter. If the player moves faster then so do the enemies. If the player can sustain fire easier then the enemies are built to be harder to keep the reticle on. etc.

Like I said before, skill can exist both with and without the recoil mechanic. There are real game examples that prove it to be true.

Last edited: