DevTracker

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Of course, you guys are way ahead of us. We did not expect to grow a community this fast. So its true, we don't have real answers, because we were just trying to gauge interest.

So we're running to catch up and present more of the game idea. The community has already helped with this. The idea of going with procedural zones came from some of the community.

There are so many ideas out there, but game design is really about what you leave out more than what you leave in, and what you leave in must be polished and polished. I get inspiration from the community, but its still a singular vision I've had in my head for over a decade now. Hope you don't mind that I borrow here and there from you along the way though. :)

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I disagree. All I hear about from the Run-n-Gun crowd is "skill". That's a load of garbage. Run-n-Gun is all about the twitch. I enjoyed OBFF in spite of this.

I am in favor of recoil for projectile weapons because it requires actual skill.
There are various types of skill. Aim, evasion, compensating for recoil...all of those things are about skill.
What is commonly called "Twitch" is a just a reference to the speed in witch something is done, that something can very well be a skillful action.

A game can be skill based with or without a recoil mechanic.

Last edited:

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Background fading is modern and looks cool. I've already discussed the matter with Mark and we'll be looking into it.

I'd start with switching implementation from JS fading to HW accelerated CSS transitions, personally I don't see a reason to implement "pausing", but I'm not the one to make that call :).

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
Oh? Well, good point.

It's just that I'm often annoyed, particularly in FireFall, when I see bulkier frames having damage, durability and speed, all on their side. Even if the speed boosts are activated abilities that need cooldown. One might also say that because they're heavier, their boosters have more power to propel all that weight, but it still seems out of place.
Yeah I follow that. Firefall's "balance" in the later years wasn't solid IMO.
As my earlier post explained, I can see how there can be a frame that is high in both offense and defense, but that is not to say i felt firefall got that quite right.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
I would personally like Ember to focus on the high speed/old school arena-esque style of shooting. Which means most weapons would not have much relevant recoil.

For me it's a matter of the most enjoyable style of gameplay for my personal preferences.