DevTracker

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
if you want my 2c i'd say "off with the head", one head is enough and i don't think anyone disagrees with it.
At least - remove that odd mecha head. It'll make the current omniframe look much better.
Personally I like the mecha head.

Which reminds me that it is very rare that there is a true consensus among the majority of a community when it comes to something visual like this. For every person who might not like one aspect of the omniframe there is another who does.
Game communities are full of different people with different preferences. To change something based on one groups feedback may very well be against the feedback from another group. I'm all for the creator of something listening to the community when possible but its not as though there will ever be a universally liked design.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
TY! Just trying to manage expectations and not let hype get out of proportion to the game. :)

Grummz, believe me, we are behind you 1000% and want this project to get off the ground as much as you do. We all have our individual opinions on just about everything but I for one will support the game's development whether I like a part of it or not.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I don't know what constitutes a DLC and what constitutes a mini-expansion in your mind? In my current thinking, mini-expansions are a probably going to be a collection of new content and gameplay that are bundled together and sold. For some, that's DLC, for others thats an expansion. Game can't be free, servers to run, people to pay and network bandwidth is a bitch.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Free Steam weekends have proven more effective to replace a free demo. Massively more effective. Demos just aren't as effective anymore. Free weekends get heavily promoted on Steam, and the limited timeframe means a huge wave of new players each time.

The industry and markets have just moved on from demos, practically speaking.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
In a perfect world, we would offer options for everyone to do anything. But we don't have a budget, we don't even have Firefall's budget. We have, as of today $3000 (which we used to pay for the website software, concept art time and backer fulfillment, etc.). I have to plan for that and not commit to saying "yes, we can do xyz option no problem!" Because every piece of art, chunk of armor, feature, and slider costs hundreds of not thousands to make. I'd rather offer fewer things, at higher quality, and focused on gameplay, than 1000 options.

So if I sound hesitant on "why not just make it an option" its because we have to be very frugal. Ember is going to be have to be different simply because of math and dollars. I'm just trying to find creative ways that satisfy me as a creator to keep to the general principles of Firefall and match my original, but Ember will still be very different in execution. It has to be. Firefall cost over 60 million to make, while we have $3000. Firefall had a 150 person team, we have 2-3 part time people right now, and our team size will probably never exceed around 15 people. We can be true to Firefall's spirit, but there is no way we can be Firefall 2.0 and match them option for option, feature for feature. Nor should we, Firefall ended up being a huge mish-mash of half-completed features going in a thousand different directions.

Imagine if we drew a concept of the recon frame and said "this is it! The one and only frame for Ember!" (because that's all this game can realistically afford: is developing one universal look of frame). We would have even more people in here that really miss their Assault and Arsenal frames.

Omniframes have fast movement, gliding, jumpets and preserve the mobility "feel" of Firefall, which IMHO was the most important part of that aspect of frames. The gameplay trumps all.

Meanwhile, I'm spending a lot of time figuring out how to do things in new ways to keep costs down and offer more. We're looking heavily into procedural tools for terrain, texturing, photogrammetry techniques for 3D modeling, and motion capture for animation. We're also looking at radical ways to keep server hardware costs down for a type of online game that is traditionally extremely CPU heavy (action shooting, etc.), so that Ember does not require huge monthly server costs and a team of 8 dedicated IT staff to run (like Firefall did just to keep servers running).

I think we can do it. I'm more encouraged each time I see the support grow in the community. But remember, its still going to be a "mini" massive online game.

Last edited: