Why I don't like mech omniframe concept

Jul 28, 2016
It's highly possible that not all classes will have a huge mek. I can see snipers with minimal armour, but maximum stealth. Something along the lines that the military is working on now that makes soldiers almost invisible.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
The game is going to be built around the frame. The Kaiju are not the only creature we are going to encounter.
Imagine a spore creature grunt going down and exploding into 10 - 20 smaller grunts, all trying to chew your ankles off, or exploding on contact, and you think twice about hitting it to start with.
Avatar 2 will be here soon, so some ideas might come from that.
All is good, and the frame will evolve.

Aug 14, 2016
(@Omnires you're misusing terminology in your semantic argument. A mecha as seen by the west is not an automaton or robot, because that implies no pilot. If you say Mecha, people think Mobile Suit Gundam, Gurren Lagann, etc, not Patlabor, Appleseed or GitS' Tachikoma/Fuchikoma, though moments of anthropomorphism are often a factor that distinguishes Mecha from Western Mechs within that context)
Yea, your right. I was kind of mixed up 2 of the 3 sub-groups on that one the. The 3 sub-groups are being fully manual, fully autonomous, and semi-autonomous. Westerns tend to think of fully manual and semi-autonomous mecha rather than fully autonomous ones. I felt that mindset might be shifting a bit to included fully autonomous mecha as A.I. start to play more of a role in stories. Well at least in a few of the sci-fi circles I'm in. Plus there the mecha that switch between 2, if not all 3, modes going by the situation (for example, the A.I. of a mecha might switch to autonomous mode when the pilot is sleeping or injured and it is too dangerous for them to be outside of the cockpit. But then switching back to semi-autonomous or full manual when the pilot inputs commands.). Thank for helping to clear that bit up just in cause my words were too unclear as to the meaning behind them.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Or are you suggesting that Tribes 1 and 2 are all about sniping with every weapon but the Chaingun?
In Tribes 1, the chaingun ended up being one of the best sniping weapons out there, especially for sniping a distant fleeing target with a flag whilst chasing them yourself. This was because the chaingun began with the first few bullet being dead on target, with a very long range and a fast projectile, before spinning up. Once that was mixed with scripting so that the trigger was pulsed at just the right frequency, it became a deadly ranged weapon with a very high ammo efficiency.

Just say'in.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
In Tribes 1, the chaingun ended up being one of the best sniping weapons out there, especially for sniping a distant fleeing target with a flag whilst chasing them yourself. This was because the chaingun began with the first few bullet being dead on target, with a very long range and a fast projectile, before spinning up. Once that was mixed with scripting so that the trigger was pulsed at just the right frequency, it became a deadly ranged weapon with a very high ammo efficiency.

Just say'in.
My point was that the spinfusor (and a good number of other slow projectile weapons along with it) didn't become an amazing sniping weapon by virtue of not having randomized spread on shots (If it was, long range shots and midairs wouldn't be nearly as impressive). The CG was only mentioned because it is intended to have spread. It's pretty clear that you can get range limitations without cramming randomization into the player's input.

Quake would be another viable example, but it's more often played in smaller maps, and they tend to be more cramped. Tribes, on the other hand, places an emphasis on large open maps, and it's easy to find a video describing the sort of scenario I'm talking about

NORBI

Jul 27, 2016
And i no like your english, joking, but anyways, i also think the mech doesn't fit, and also doesn't feel as advanced as the battleframes in technology, honestly, i'm sure they're both gonna be equivalent in firepower/effectiveness but the battleframe is, well, smaller, so the same power in a smaller outfit means easier movements, ability to go in smaller places and so many other things, i don't see how the game will work with mechs, since it would cause the players to always have to stay outside. And unable to enter a ton of stuff. My simple and pretty stupid but effective fix? Put both mechs and battleframes, battleframes for smaller places, always equipped on the player and the mech to move around in the open, with the battleframe still equipped. This way you can go anywhere a human can go without problems, maybe make the battleframe less powerfull than the mech? Anyways this is just a suggestion.
I'm also thinking about only having a battleframe, and this battleframe turns into the mech when needed, the mech is stored as multiple parts in small pocket dimensions in each part of the battleframe, makes it much more futuristic than firefall and still keeps the mech. This also gives the possibility of REALLY cool animations to switch between battleframe and mech.

EDIT : This also makes the concept original, mechs are overused, battleframe is also already used. Battleframes deploying into mechs via pocket dimensions? Never made.
1. My english? other 4 language speak better..., world not only english language...
2. my no like mean my first impresion.
3. Its a overwatch diva copy for me.

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
"we will feel kinda invincible"?
tell me one good mech game where you are "kinda invincible"
also recoil and any other shooting mechanic can affect mechs too
humanoid mechs can broaden gameplay options (transforming maybe?) while doing everything a humanoid in power armor can do

I saw some mention randomized spread.

It doesn't have to be randomized. I cannot remember what it was like in Firefall before the changes, but weapons should have a fixed spread, and by that I simply mean that when you'd start shooting with e.g.: a heavier machine-gun, it'd start climbing, spraying some bullets to the sides as the muzzle climbed. So one would have to compensate (where player skill would enter) by pulling your aim back down, acting against that climb from the recoil. You'd still miss with a few bullets that would stray to the side, but you'd have to keep it on target and through mods, the spread could be reduced.

Recoil and spread shouldn't be wild, though, but it should definitely create a clear divide between weapon-effectiveness at different ranges. If someone wants to whittle some stronger, more agile oppenent's HP down from afar with a chain-gun or some big-ass, heavy weapon that has the largest mag-size and fire-rate by far, then good luck. They'd have a ton of ammo, but more than half or even 2/3 of their shots should/would miss, because a weapon like that wouldn't be suitable for sustained, long-range, accurate fire. Otherwise we'd have the same disappointing shit I saw in Blacklight Retribution, where someone with an assault rifle could snipe more effectively, from long-range, than someone with a sniper-rifle, because recoil and spread meant nothing and even if it had the weapon had high fire-rate and mag-size, so it was completely unbalanced.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Can you please be nicer? He wants to participate in this community, he tries his best. He probably doesn't speak English at all. It could be the same If there was a game produced in let's say Russia and you would speak Russian only a little and mostly words
Alright wow, i'm trying to be funny and i have a gigantic hatred for low levels of english, but i guess he's a bit better than my classmates. On the other hand, i wouldn't join anything that's not english or french, since it's the only 2 languages i can speak (i've been learning italian for 3 years and i still don't know anything, won't ever use it too anyways.)
I have no idea how to write in russian and don't even know more than 4 russian words, da, niet and RUSH B CYKA BLYAT

Alright wow, i'm trying to be funny and i have a gigantic hatred for low levels of english, but i guess he's a bit better than my classmates. On the other hand, i wouldn't join anything that's not english or french, since it's the only 2 languages i can speak (i've been learning italian for 3 years and i still don't know anything, won't ever use it too anyways.)
I have no idea how to write in russian and don't even know more than 4 russian words, da, niet and RUSH B CYKA BLYAT
Judging by his name, @NORBI is probably Hungarian, actually. :)

Aug 18, 2016
Hello everyone!
Everyone seems to love mechs on this forum. Well, I hate mechs, but that's not the thing.

In Firefall we had exoskeletons that gave us a feeling of being a normal soldiers in a heat of battle. We had a gun that felt kinda like a gun. We were humans with somewhat limited possibilities and we weren't invincible. And I liked it. Why a lot of us are playing on HC mode in Firefall and other games like Battlefield? Because we wanted to feel the heat of battle and wanted to make things harder.

With omniframes though, we will feel kinda invincible. Also, my biggest concern, gunplay. We will feel like playing D.VA in Overwatch, clicking fires and we feel no recoil nor emotion. We cannot ADS with a rifle, we don't feel the recoil of a pistol because we just have a damn mech that is super-duper powerful and can negate all recoil for us. We have two giant weapons as attached to arms and we just point at the enemy and click. No recoil compensation needed, your mech will do everything for you. Your abilities will also be limited because a lot of them just doesn't fit mech's theme. There was a thread about omniframe abilities and guess what? Most of them is about how to destroy the mech or leave it for it to return after There won't be any feel to those abilities.

Another thing, look at concept art of omniframe. It is extremely bulky and curvy. It is also walking on high heels for some reason. It won' fit in any door and looks strange.

So what I propose? Remove that mech whatsoever. We have our "battleframes" from Firefall and it is cool. But mechs eliminate a lot of cool gameplay features. Is it worth introducing a mech on cost of gameplay? In my opinion it's not.

Just want to point this out to me the "High Heeled" feet look a bit like talons maybe an idea to work with later on?

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
On bullet spread, recoil, etc. conventional weapons being on a mech doesn't mean that it fits the same size weapons as your standard foot-soldier. Many years ago the standard assault rifle moved away from the heavier, more powerful 7.62mm round and down to the 5.56mm version, which is a pretty standard NATO size these days. 5.56 does provide a bit of a kick and forget about accuracy if you are on automatic fire.

So, you fit a standard 5.56mm based rifle onto a mech with massively increased strength and strong recoil dampeners, of course you probably won't get much recoil and can track a target with fully automatic fire.

However, a 5.56mm round would probably not do much damage to our alien antagonists, especially the kaiju versions, so a 7.62mm heavy assault rifle/machine gun would more likely be the order of the day and on the mech this could easily be handheld and fired with some accuracy from the hip, with minimum but some recoil and bullet spread on auto. This is something your average infantryman would struggle to do with any sort of decent effect.

You could even amp that up to an even larger round, say a .50 cal that can only be fired effectively from a mounted position (e.g. a mech) but would still have to be aimed to be effective as well as produce recoil and spread. You could also reduce RoF for safety and mechanical reasons as too many rounds through a barrel in a short space of time heats up the barrel, introducing barrel warp and possibly even damage to the working parts. Not to mention any gas operated re-chambering mechanisms while simple in design are notorious for clogging up with gunpowder residue and need to be cleaned constantly or the weapon will stop chambering the next round and stop firing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, a large calibre round fired from a hefty machine gun on the mech will still produce some recoil and I do hope in Ember this will be the case.

On the omniframe, yes, I do not like the design much but my opinion is only one in many. However, what I can say is that we've only seen a couple of pictures of it and until we actually get to play the thing and see how it handles, I'll reserve judgment on it. I'm sure if, once the alpha/beta is up and running, that Grummz and his team will assess the design and if it doesn't really fit or they're just unhappy with it, they'll come up with a plan. Until then, let's get all the pieces we have together and into a playable testing environment.

Aug 14, 2016
On bullet spread, recoil, etc. conventional weapons being on a mech doesn't mean that it fits the same size weapons as your standard foot-soldier. Many years ago the standard assault rifle moved away from the heavier, more powerful 7.62mm round and down to the 5.56mm version, which is a pretty standard NATO size these days. 5.56 does provide a bit of a kick and forget about accuracy if you are on automatic fire.

So, you fit a standard 5.56mm based rifle onto a mech with massively increased strength and strong recoil dampeners, of course you probably won't get much recoil and can track a target with fully automatic fire.

However, a 5.56mm round would probably not do much damage to our alien antagonists, especially the kaiju versions, so a 7.62mm heavy assault rifle/machine gun would more likely be the order of the day and on the mech this could easily be handheld and fired with some accuracy from the hip, with minimum but some recoil and bullet spread on auto. This is something your average infantryman would struggle to do with any sort of decent effect.

You could even amp that up to an even larger round, say a .50 cal that can only be fired effectively from a mounted position (e.g. a mech) but would still have to be aimed to be effective as well as produce recoil and spread. You could also reduce RoF for safety and mechanical reasons as too many rounds through a barrel in a short space of time heats up the barrel, introducing barrel warp and possibly even damage to the working parts. Not to mention any gas operated re-chambering mechanisms while simple in design are notorious for clogging up with gunpowder residue and need to be cleaned constantly or the weapon will stop chambering the next round and stop firing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, a large calibre round fired from a hefty machine gun on the mech will still produce some recoil and I do hope in Ember this will be the case.

On the omniframe, yes, I do not like the design much but my opinion is only one in many. However, what I can say is that we've only seen a couple of pictures of it and until we actually get to play the thing and see how it handles, I'll reserve judgment on it. I'm sure if, once the alpha/beta is up and running, that Grummz and his team will assess the design and if it doesn't really fit or they're just unhappy with it, they'll come up with a plan. Until then, let's get all the pieces we have together and into a playable testing environment.
Personally, I'm against having recoil in a sci-fi mostly because a lot of game devs don't seem to know how real weapons work and just add recoil on things that shouldn't have recoil on them. Or making recoil on guns away more powerful than they really are for reasons. There are lots other ways to balance guns in games other than relying on the recoil and spread, but as I keep pointing out not all guns have recoil or spread. I'm a big fan of the idea of game devs actually learning how weapons in real life are designed, built, and work so they fully understand how the guns in their games should handle and be balanced without always relying on recoil and spread as their go-to blanket stats everything.

Anyway, I'm not totally against the idea of recoil and spread in sci-fi games as long as they make logical sense. And your post does point out how and why recoil can still exist in the game. Although I feel that until to learn more about the inner working of the Omniframes can't be really sure on how much recoil reduction will happen as just part of a natural function of the platform itself.

I think a lot of games would be better if the devs of sci-fi games paid more mind to what sci-fi fans who know about real science are talking about. Because at our core we just want things to make logical sense not break rules just because.

P.S. The Omniframes are less armored version of the powered armor in Ghost In The Shell.