Must have and Must NOT have's. Voice your thoughts on Abilities and items!

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Gliding yes.
Slotable yes.

Cheesing CD and to abilities to get perma flight... meeeeh. Kinda went too far in FF imo. So long as we can't achieve flight in weird ways all fine and dandy. If flight was intended it would be added as a feature I imagine.
i dont see why people are against soaring, its not like you can exploit it for pvp or pve in any way, its was almost impossible to fight while gliding without nose-diving into the ground

Must have:
Wide range of unique gear and stats
Rewarding, balanced PvP
PvP matchmaking/ranking system
Jump jets
Easy grouping mechanics

Must not have:
"God guns" - specific weapons (or gear in general) that overpower all others
Repetitive, grindy quests
Vertical progression
Level requirements to access open world areas

Ruv

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Must have:
1. Balance between skill based gameplay and gear. Would love to see frames/classes that don't offer too much stats to one particular class. Its no fun fighting a dreadnaught that can't seem to die no matter how hard you shoot or how pumped up the gear is. I feel having the hps or resists balanced out so that anyone and everyone is capable of dying is what makes a shooter game fun. You determine the outcome with hard-learned skills and tactics instead of monster hp and unlimited heals. Not saying gears and wpns aint not important but make each of em come with their pros and cons but don't differ so much that one becomes unkillable. Those should be reserved for tough bosses to play with.
2. More variety to vehicles, maybe a tank capable of housing 4 players? But killable with one tank mine xD (just a suggestion).
3. Awesome looking cosmetics mixed in with some goofy looking ones.
4. Opponents to fight with round the clock,be it chosen or other players. Chosen must be more challenging to force teamplay and interaction, ie taking over a main town and forcibly killing players at spawn point if the town wasnt defended and lost. If players can choose factions then maybe an open world pvp map where hundreds of players could fight it out in a massacre with bodies laying everywhere.

Must not have:
1. Needless to say, a pay-to-win format
2. Endless useless PvE quests, seriously i understand a few starting quests to let players familiarize the map and gameplay but pointless quests with average rewards should be scraped.

(Just my 2 cents)

Jul 26, 2016
i dont see why people are against soaring, its not like you can exploit it for pvp or pve in any way, its was almost impossible to fight while gliding without nose-diving into the ground
Not against gliding.

Afterburner and hellfire combos with consumables and such were a bit out of hand.

Blackfyre

Jul 27, 2016
Must Have:

-Horizontal Progression
-A high degree of verticality (while still having other play styles be viable)
-An open world that is, while not necessarily seamless, doesn't rely on instances for most (or any, ideally) content.
-Having player actions effect what happens in the world.
-Steam Launcher
-Arena PvP

Must Not Have:

-Level Gating
-Segregated class system, especially not what firefall had at the very end
-Pay 2 Win mechanics (although that should hopefully be solved by the game having a box price).

Something I wouldn't mind (surprisingly) if it's done right:

-Gear decay. When firefall implemented it it got to the point where it was no longer possible to use your best gear in some missions or for some people. That's ridiculous. If it both (a) isn't too severe and (b) makes it so that we won't have to deal with the ever hated power creep then I'd be more than happy to have it in the game.

Jul 27, 2016
Must have:
  • Class(frame,whatever) interdependence
  • Group content that can't be solo'd
Must NOT have:
  • Unlimited jumpjets (endlessly gliding, etc.)
  • Scalable gameplay(This usually ends up to minimizing multiplayer)
  • Free to play
  • Soft release

Jul 27, 2016
I could see this game ending up like Global Agenda, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Once central area. Queue up for PvE / PvP to get materials / fight other players. Will have a social hub. I loved aspects of Global Agenda and actually liked the combat better than Firefall I loved the Assault class in that game.

Jul 27, 2016
Must not have:..................... AFTERBURNER!!!!!
Yea you read it right, AFTERBURNER. Look at my profile image, it's a tigerclaw from firefall so I know all about the afterbuerner.

NOOOOOooo phoenix, what are you saying? Are you gone full retard mate?

No man, I'm sober. The reason Afterburner needs not be in Ember is because it's SOOOooooo overpowered that balancing it with other abilities would be impossible. There is no ability in existence that you could choose over Afterburner. Absolutely everything and everyone wants Afterburner. Has anyone ever in existence of FF ever when given the change to use Afterburner thought about swapping it out for another ability? NO!!! In FF from closed beta to the death of the game, it doesn't matter how buffed or nerfed the Afterburner it always stayed relevant and absolutely the best ability in the game. The only way to tone down afterburner for the player to consider swapping out Afterburner for some other ability is if you give it a 30s Cooldown or a 3m travel distance, but by then, would you stile even want an afterbuerner like that.

The only way for Afterburner to not break Ember is to nerf it to the ground but having a botched Afterburner would enrage FF vets so for marketing purposes I'd leave out Afterburner in the beginning and introduce it later on.

Either that or make abilities that are on par with the afterburner.
Protip: You can't.

Or maybe you can, read below.

What I want to see in Ember are grappling hooks.

Not as an ability but as a passive with now cooldown on keybind.
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Grappling_Hook_Tutorial

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
must haves
bad ass chain gun cannon
outfit HQ, stronghold, fort whatever you want to call it
Snipers to have relevance in combat in a stationary position and not forced to bounce around all over the place
Resource gathering that is relevant
Voice coms for squads and maybe proximity voice
vehicle crafting/upgrading

i would not like to see over complex crafting, spending a half hr building sub components just to make components for the actual iteam. but crafting components for the item and later accessories would be good'
No item degradation/decay

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Oklahoma, US
I want to see vehicles play more of a role besides just transport, and have a specialized progression tree designed and tailored around efficient use of vehicles in combat, from resource transports to buggies and maybe even APC's/tanks.

Aug 2, 2016
Oregon
Must Have:
  • Jumpjets and Gliding. I must say that these two things sold me on the game initially. It's a very unique way to explore the world around you and allows for a skilled player to take on an otherwise unfathomable army ie. soloing Chosen Drop Pods and Warships.
  • Firecat. This was my absolute favorite frame. Very iconic in its abilities and the splash damage Thermal Cannon was insanely fun to provide cover fire with.
  • Burn Jets. I loved hovering around a Thumper and cooking Arahnas, which sometimes backfired if the Icy Arahna got past a squadmate.
  • Tiki Thumper. I know it's not going to be in it's original form but this was a very cool way that Founder's got a unique Thumper that was not any better but easily distinguishable visually.
  • Different Valued Resources. It was really cool to suddenly see an ultra rare deposit of Sulfur somewhere and race towards it to try and collect some of it. This in turn allowed you to build stronger components which allowed for a stronger end item. As someone who loves crafting, I greatly enjoyed this aspect of the game and when it got pulled I began to stop playing as much. This system allows for a small amount of vertical progression to occur but it's relatively minor in terms of player levels.
  • Horizontal Progression. It's fine to have a little vertical progression from better gear being crafted from rare resoures or bosses dropping them but there should not be a monumental gap in power. They should change how your skills or weapons work beyond just increasing damage. If there is a Monumental gap in power, why? Are we going from a Tigerclaw Mk. 1 to an Mk. 2 which is made from a lighter material and the reduced weight allows for the unit to consume less energy and maintain flight for longer periods of time?
  • Lots of Customization. The original frame design before Red5 took over had a considerable amount of customization available, letting you piece together your ideal build for your frame. Some combinations may not have been the most ideal but it let players pick how they wanted to play the game. It's a little found freedom of choice in today's MMO culture that is common to the mech game scene. I would spend hours gathering the needed materials so I could build that blue Thermal Cannon that had a bigger splash radius and rate of fire than my current Accord Thermal Cannon.
  • Brontodons! Who doesn't love them?!
  • Melding. It was a great concept that worked well into gameplay. A potentially lethal barrier that gated players from accessing different areas of the world and it's borders were dynamic and could change if you activated a Melding Repulsion Generator. I think it would be ok if the Melding shrank the gameworld down to just around Copacabana if players did not make an active effort to try to maintain control points.
  • Chosen. Humans who live in and are infested by the Melding? Good enemy. Enjoyed all aspects of them, from random encounters during Thumping to the giant Warship events.

Must Not:
  • Vertical Progression. Having to grind levels and gear is what every other game does and it does not work in Firefall. In fact, it's why a good amount of us quit. Player levels are very unimaginative and a means to artificially force the player to play the game a certain way and gate them from certain areas by more than a restriction of abilities or player skill.
All in all there was so much I enjoyed about Firefall during the beta and not a ton I would change. This game had insane potential and I am heartbroken to see its current state.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Must have:
-Horizontal progression. Not vertical, not quadratic, horizontal. EVERYTHING is a side-grade.
-More functions than just "shoot, heal, move." I know it's a 'shooter' but it's also 2016. Let's evolve a bit.
-NPC's and content that make sense on a fifth grade level.
-Weapons and gear that are useful on their own merits instead of stat-sticks.
-Gliders: that was actually a cool way to traverse. Not flight, but more fun and faster than walking.
-Vehicles that DO things and are actually called for in the world.
-Vehicle parts and tuning. If we get 'em, let us tinker with em. Hell, make it a crafting skill if you want.
-Efficient and responsive menus.
-Well-organized, minimalist UI that knows when to stop taking up my screen.
-Well-delivered voice acting. It's either good or maddeningly terrible; there is no gray area here. (Aero: good. Santa: BAD.)
-Choice and consequence on every level. fuel, ammo, repairs, all of it.
-Challenge. I'm sick of games that roll over and die "to appeal to the less-skilled" then get boring in a week. RAMP IT UP.
-Usable, responsive melee. BY DEFAULT.
-Reasons to group up, form companies, and go on missions together.
-Things that actually THREATEN our towns and establishments. It's a WAR, isn't it?
-Enemies that ACTUALLY WANT TO KILL US.

Must not have:
-Bigger numbers, bigger numbers, and more bigger numbers.
-Disposable starter options (T1 frames in lieu of T2, etc.) Stop making things just to throw them away.
-That one guy who's on the comms as accord command and that nerve-grating santa wannabe. GOD his acting's so bad.
-An enforced MMO trinity (DPS, tank, healer. NO. BAD. WRONG. STOP IT.)
-Bullet sponge bosses that stand around exposed like idiots, but take twenty minutes and thirty million bullets in the face.
-Unlimited ammo. FOR ANYTHING. EVER. Even If it's battery powered, it needs to tax a power source somewhere.
-Level gated zones. In fact, levels. Just stop it.
-Gameplay options that completely invalidate part of the challenge and nuance of the world. It's nuanced for a reason.
-Unnecessary vehicle collecting. Oooh, the same bike, but it's RED! NO. Let me pay to paint the one I have, damnit.
-Seriously, If I want to get another vehicle, let me earn it. If I just want different colors, let me get it painted. I mean it.
-Melee that takes as long as reloading. Powered exosuits with jumpjets...and we can't swing a weightless blade properly???
-No, really, that santa guy. Seriously, I wanted an option to turn off ALL CLIPS OF HIS VOICE. He was THAT BAD.
-Extra popups, confirmation windows, unneeded menu layers and extra clicks. I'm not kidding; I will hate you on principle.

both lists can go on for quite awhile, but I'll be merciful and stop here for now...

Sinalot

Omega Founder
Aug 3, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Must have:

1. Freedom of movement that Jumpjets and Gliders provided. Howsoever you choose to accomplish this is an area to explore perhaps, but I am a huge fan of jumpjets and is without a doubt the primary reason I played Firefall.
2. A fast class, such as the Tigerclaw/Firecat, as I love the intense focus and skill that speed can necessitate.
3. Thumpin'
4. Recognition that solo and group play are both aspects of any proper MMO.

Must not:

1. No forced interdependence related to crafting or the market/economy.

Aequitas

Omega Founder
Aug 3, 2016
Must have, a variety of weapon mods:
Barrels, grips, sights, stocks, magazine mods, firing mechanisms, Muzzles etc.. Make weapons modular, personalized, and upgradable.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2016
Somethings off the top of my head
+Skill shot healing primary that will always outperform tether based healing if the user is accurate enough
+An HMG with a deploy-able shield that can actually block shit in front of you and slows down your fire rate instead of outright HALTING IT LIKE WTF ACCORD DO YOU WANNA KILL YOUR PILOTS
+On the subject of tether based healing, a tether based heal primary that will also allow for the user to equip their one-handed secondary so they actually have something to aim at momentarily until their heal target darts out of their LoS

- PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NO ALLOW INVULN ABILITIES INTO PVP, IF YOU MUST HAVE THEM FOR PVE ADJUST THEM INTO DAMAGE REDUCTION ABILITIES WHEN PLAYING PVP SO THERES COUNTER PLAY TO THEM
Counter play to invuln skills: LoS abuse them and run it out
Counter play to DR abilities: Focus fire and just delete the player, or LoS abuse them and run it out.