Must have and Must NOT have's. Voice your thoughts on Abilities and items!

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Must have!
Multiple charges on some abilities (Afterburner!!!!).
Glider that stays intact when you use an ability.
Rockateer Gliders!

Must not HAVE:
Unlimited invulnerability when using multi-charge abilities or chaining abilities together.
Massive stackable \ up-gradable buffs or debuffs that make events trivial.
One weapon that rules them all.

Jul 26, 2016
Not particularly for high flight uptime or gliders+fire at all. It always felt cheap and offered a very big possibilty for exploitation and advantage over others or it would simply be a must have option to travel.

There should be caps if abilites provide immunity or reductions or output buffs... or no stacking at all, in some form. All in all a frame and how it is outfitted should determine much of its durability or lack of durability. All things need relative balance and thought so not to win in all scenarios but instead be proficient in a desired role.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
This isn't really a must have and probably won't happen since I doubt anyone cares besides me, but I'd like it if the jump jet movement worked just like how it did in Firefall. Basically, you can pump your jumpjets and airstrafe to gain speed. Kind of like strafe jumping in Quake Arena III, but you can't touch the ground. I know there is someone who figured out how to add Quake movement for UE4 with blueprint scripts (https://sellfy.com/p/VPkJ/), but I don't know if that could be use well with jumpjets.

What it must not have is that awful durability system that was added in the second half of beta an if Ember is ever made, I'll be glad Mark doesn't want to add it back.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Must have!
Multiple charges on some abilities (Afterburner!!!!).
Glider that stays intact when you use an ability.
Rockateer Gliders!

Must not HAVE:
Unlimited invulnerability when using multi-charge abilities or chaining abilities together.
Massive stackable \ up-gradable buffs or debuffs that make events trivial.
One weapon that rules them all.
I dunno why we have to copy every single thing from them.

I want to see :

Meaningful crafting (when they switched to durability and stats on resources)
Non Level based progression (skill points / many professions / classes are the best)
World Exploration (no gated zones)

I dont want to see

Gliders
BGs
Level based progression
Clunky Vehicle controls

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
Must have:
Power, mass, CPU constrains in crafting
Jumpjets xD
Hunting for good resources nodes
Must NOT have:
All creatures with shoot ability
RNG
Levels and zone restriction to levels

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Weapons I want to see come back in some form:
Phason Thrower
Old Thermal Cannon Alt-Fire
Fusion Cannon
pre-1.6 r36 rifle

Abilities I want to see come back in some form:
Afterburner(soaring would be dope)
Advanced Decoy(if its pve limited thats fine)
Teleport Beacon
Inferno Dash
Burn Jets
Figure out Bombs Away
1.6 Poison Trail
Sin Beacon(It'd be cool if it could work like Zenyatta's discord orb)
Burning Cyro Nade

Game Elements I want to see come back in some form:
Significant flying hostiles(e.g. dropships or big bugs)
Vehicular open world objectives
Allowing places like XP Valley to exist
Visual Progression(I know this will be in the long term)
Min-maxing in crafting; If I want my rifle to fire 3 rounds/second, let me do that
Highly vertical terrain; climbing mountains and such should feel like exploration.
Allow mineral harvesting anywhere; depending on how mobile omniframes can be, it'd be awesome to plant a T.H.M.P.R on the side of a cliff and fly around defending it from flying hostiles
Player-Driven events, e.g. open-world baneclaw

Must Have:
  1. Jetpacks/JumpJets
  2. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of Achievements for exploring and doing stuff in the open world
  3. Launched on Steam
  4. Interfaces that are clicky and responsive without delays
  5. A well designed HUD that doesn't cover half the screen(I'm looking at you 3DActionBar)
  6. Lots of Cosmetics
  7. Community Addon/Mod Support
  8. A huge Open World with unique terrain and large mountains that can be scaled.

Must NOT Have.

1. Level Gating
  2. OmniFrame Constraints
  3. Item Degradation that can result in permanent loss.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
tbh, i liked masss/pwr/cpu values that had u choose what u want/can have at any given time (instead of ALL PRPLS) and i also liked item durability/destruction as, to me, that is realistic and logical (stuff does break at some point, depending on usage/damage recieved) so i'd like to see those back. whine all u want ppl, but to me that's better and gives u more reason to grind/explore then just collecting all the maxed stuff and then what...
:D

Jul 28, 2016
Must have:
Power, mass, CPU constrains in crafting
I loved the ability to completely customize your weapons/frame through tweaking the stats of what you were crafting by adding a pinch of this material and a smidgen of that material. I didn't like the interface that was in place for doing it.

What I would like to see for the crafting interface is the player determines what they want the final stats to be, and the game tells them what mats they need. Power, mass, heat, and CPU would go up as the stats go up, but could be brought down with better materials or crafting improved power source/CPU/heat sinks.

Customization is what gives the player a sense of ownership of their avatar, and part of what keeps them coming back week after week, month after month.

Must not have: Meta gears/classes
Not sure what you mean by "meta gears" but "classes" are a must. If you can't train to wear a different type of frame where's your horizontal progression?

I have a lot more to say on the theorycrafting behind classes, but this isn't the thread for it. I'll try to remember to link to the new thread from this one, once I make it.

Edit: As promised, link to http://forums.emberthegame.com/threads/theory-crafting-mmo-roles.124/

I would like to see at least 8 basic types of frames, possibly with tech branches for specialization (for tier 2 (and above?)). (Though anything over Tier 2 would start become vertical progression, so that's probably not a good idea on my part.)

Last edited:

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
If this is supposed to be a sandbox type game, people should be allowed to run private servers. As seen with Firefall, people will have very different opinions about lots of things. If they have ways to customize the server, devs can risk adding more controversial features without pissing people off. For instance, a friendly fire flag could be added. People who want friendly fire and OWPvP everywhere could enable it on their own servers.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Must Have:
Pets that can actually do something besides stand there.
Ability for Snipers to lay flat on the ground for better cover.

MUST NOT HAVE:

Random crafting outcomes
Random loot drops from doing special events, etc... that are no drop and you get 2 of the same thing, making one useless!
100 of useless drops during game play that just get salvaged or sold that do not add any real value, except to annoy the crap out of you.