Must have and Must NOT have's. Voice your thoughts on Abilities and items!

Jul 27, 2016
US
I honestly feel like the Mass/Power/CPU (but god lets not call it that it makes the system sound way to intimating to a non-technical user) system with permanent degredation but easily replaceable equipment via a crafting economy is the way to go.

The system Firefall had before just resulted in hundreds of hours of grinding to get BiS gear and it was miserable for most people. Permanent item MMO systems all end up grindy and unpleasant and going down that road is like writing your own death warrant. I say this as someone who actually had a significant amount of the BiS gear.

JDCollie

Jul 28, 2016
Must have: Crater. I don't care what frame has it, but that frame must have Afterburners and Crater for me to play this game. No exceptions.

Must NOT have: Ironsights in place of secondary fire modes.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Oh, I absolutely forgot how much I want this xD
I want, I want, I waaant it for my sniper type of omniframe (if it will be)
I get that it makes the experience more immersive, but I don't see the use of it if this game will have combat like Firefall. You're ultimately better off being mobile.

DBug

Jul 28, 2016
Abilities should focus more on utility as opposed to damage to make sure they scale properly with later game content and to prevent things like power creep from ruining the balance of specific classes.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
I get that it makes the experience more immersive, but I don't see the use of it if this game will have combat like Firefall. You're ultimately better off being mobile.
I would be fine with cosmetic unlock or similar to "Turret mode" of dreadnought class :D

MUST NOT: put making a stable economy above keeping the rest of the game fun.
Hmm, seem to be you already found lots of posts about crafting, gear, and stable economy xD
Of course we all want fun, but we also want game that we will play for long time and we still enjoy it. So we now try to express and discuss our ideas as community and hope we help this game not repeating same mistakes over and over again. We cannot change game completely every few months because of .... If we can find some general and easily adjustable way (not specific) how to make stable economy it would be great, because we know it is very hard and there are lots of way how we can go, but noone know how it ends.

Captain Zius

Get Counted for Stretch!
Jul 27, 2016
MUST HAVE:
- Jumpjet
- Resource gathering
- Fun combat based on skills and mobility. Ability to switch frames.
- Territory control
- Lot of Cosmetics to customize battleframe
- Open world. Promoting people to group up on events
- Constraint system. The old mass/cpu/power concept was good but I think people hate it because it's hard to control with the 1000 quality resource system.

MUST NOT HAVE:
- Vertical progression

Guys, I just re-watched this. So much emotional.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I would be fine with cosmetic unlock or similar to "Turret mode" of dreadnought class :D

Hmm, seem to be you already found lots of posts about crafting, gear, and stable economy xD
Of course we all want fun, but we also want game that we will play for long time and we still enjoy it. So we now try to express and discuss our ideas as community and hope we help this game not repeating same mistakes over and over again. We cannot change game completely every few months because of .... If we can find some general and easily adjustable way (not specific) how to make stable economy it would be great, because we know it is very hard and there are lots of way how we can go, but noone know how it ends.
Basically, I don't want a repeat of what was bad about 0.6-0.9. The research and durability systems were awful.

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
MUSTS:
Am Ember closed beta ASAP that we can get our teeth into :)
Crafting
Horizontal progression to build up your general rig, constraints system for your rig's equipment, ability modules and weapons.
Buy orders on the market system.

MUST NOTS:
XP.
Level chasing, forced ppl to grind for XP.
Level caps that increase every so often and just to open up more level chasing.
Gear chasing.
RNG during crafting.
Tinkering (one of the worst systems in FF).
Gated content/zones.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Hmm, items and abilities eh? I'm afraid to get too specific or draw too much from Firefall since we don't really know anything yet, but generally speaking...

MUST HAVE:
Abilities!
Horizontal ability customization, like stat tradeoffs and even different effects, if possible.
Enough gear items or customization options to create a wide variety of builds.

MUST NOT HAVE:
Best-in-slot items, that leads to a boring end-game and kills build variety.

I know people have a really negative reaction to item durability, but I prefer item destruction that gives a return in materials, combined with a robust crafting system and economy over forcing obsolescence by constantly releasing more powerful gear.

I'd like to avoid a big focus on vertical progression if we can, and focus mostly on the horizontal aspect. Permanent gear items work better in a vertical system, since power creep is the name of the game. Without that, there needs to be something to keep the gear treadmill and economy going. Every permanent item crafted means one less use for resources, unless it becomes obsolete in some way.

Jul 28, 2016
Combat from the air (some frames having long jump jet duration), NO vertical progression (something like .7 modified progression would be fine), Min/max, and this is where it gets good...put stuff in the game with no announcement. In FF beta there was that moment of "what the heck!" when you realized that something new had been added without notification. It was great. Like when I thought I could escape a siege breaker had a jet pack and the hill with the cliffs on each side was no safe zone (I saw the buggar coming over the edge of the hill and the fight was on!).

The Sunken Harbor watchtower event was awesome. So many variations you never knew what to expect.

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Not particularly for high flight uptime or gliders+fire at all. It always felt cheap and offered a very big possibilty for exploitation and advantage over others or it would simply be a must have option to travel.

There should be caps if abilites provide immunity or reductions or output buffs... or no stacking at all, in some form. All in all a frame and how it is outfitted should determine much of its durability or lack of durability. All things need relative balance and thought so not to win in all scenarios but instead be proficient in a desired role.
soaring gliding should be possible, but should require a specific frame and modules, something should be sacrificed to gain such abiliity

Jul 26, 2016
soaring gliding should be possible, but should require a specific frame and modules, something should be sacrificed to gain such abiliity
Gliding yes.
Slotable yes.

Cheesing CD and to abilities to get perma flight... meeeeh. Kinda went too far in FF imo. So long as we can't achieve flight in weird ways all fine and dandy. If flight was intended it would be added as a feature I imagine.

Jul 27, 2016
Yeah I don't see the point to camping in a cliff somewhere... the second you shoot your gun you're gonna draw aggro and have many creatures chasing you aroudn and you're gonna end up running around with mobility. So the laying on the ground is near pointless to have. I like the feature in Battlefield where objectives and stealth is your goal, but against AI, it's pretty pointless unless done in a campaign mode. Even crouching was pointless to have in Firefall.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Yeah I don't see the point to camping in a cliff somewhere... the second you shoot your gun you're gonna draw aggro and have many creatures chasing you aroudn and you're gonna end up running around with mobility. So the laying on the ground is near pointless to have. I like the feature in Battlefield where objectives and stealth is your goal, but against AI, it's pretty pointless unless done in a campaign mode. Even crouching was pointless to have in Firefall.
Well, we don't know if the AI will work exactly like before and it likely won't. But allowing people to snipe without ever moving would be bad. It would make for some awfully boring gameplay after a while. FO4's AI enemies aren't that complex, but I like that they start shooting at and moving in on where your last shot came from if you shoot 2-3 times from the same position.

Crouching wasn't particularly useful most of the time, but it's one of those features that I'd rather have than not have. It just feels weird to not have a crouch button for me too. It was still useful sometimes whether it was for not falling off an edge, aiming with movement at long ranges or not getting hit by a massive AoE attack.

Jul 26, 2016
Must have:
Afterburner
Vehicles
Cool-sounding Fauna-based frame names
Some innate squad or platoon-building interface resembling Boing
If Jetpacks, some kind of verticality to the game (still want to see that 2.0 city level)
Pets that are nigh-impossible to obtain (just to annoy Ralzyn)

Must not have:
Nerfs or major changes to equipment that doesn't break the game outright (still sad about my Lancer M3 & Tranquility ... and Jump Pad).
Cap-less (in terms of combat effect) Elite Ranks
Anything with a cooldown of over 2 mins
Vehicles that sound like whoopee-cushions when driven

Last edited:

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I forgot to mention - a must would be the ability to have different preset builds for the same frame, that you can switch between instantly at a 'garage' instead of having to change each component at a time for different circumstances. This was something that many people wanted to see in FF but it never happened, presumably to keep inventory sizes down.