IMPORTANT: Omniframe Mk II

Do you prefer the direction of Omniframe Original or Mk II going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
(This post was made before the Poll change)

I VOTE NEITHER.

WHERE'S THE F*CKING COSMETIC OPTION.

MK1 OR MK2. YOU AIN'T GONNA STOP ME FROM WANTING HEAVY METAL BOOTS, BABY.

EVEN IF THE MK2 LOOKS F*CKING BADASS. BUT 4 ARMS ON THAT IS A COOL FACTOR KILLER.

"Either you die fighting Insects. Or you live long enough to become one yerself"
~Imperial Soldier

I NEED THE MK2 WITH THE M3 HOLO WINGS ON IT
TO SEE IF IT COMPENSATE THE LOST COOL FACTOR.

MK1 LOOKS GOOD FOR STARTER.
MK2 CAN BE UNLOCKED IN HIGHER TIER.
HIGHER TIER = BETTER TECH

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, I'LL ADMIT, THE GREAT LORD GRUMMZIFER IS KINDA RIGHT.
THE MK1 LOOK OUT OF SCENE WHEN STANDING NEXT TO THE T.H.M.P.R.
WHILE THE MK2 COMPLIMENT WELL WITH THE T.H.M.P.R.

OVERALL.
THE MK2 LOOKS GOOD, BUT PREFER THE MECHANICAL LEGS FROM MK1.
EXCEPT FOR THAT CHICKEN FEET. NOBODIES RUN LIKE A CHICKEN FROM A FIGHT.

Last edited:

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
First, let me say that I do think the current frames could use slightly longer legs (it will hep when animating them and making them not clip into themselves as much, as well as letting them move faster without the legs looking quite so crazy scrambling about).

That said though, I do overall prefer the older frame. While it could perhaps use some smaller tweaks (adjustments to how its material/textures are made could make it look more like the THMPR, current THMPR is like blue painted heavy machinery instead of our yellows, while the Omnirframe looks like a plastic pieced together kit almost with its colors/roughness/etc....). If needed we could make some smaller tweaks to parts of the current one to thicken up or smooth out some of the blockier limb parts perhaps if that's what people don't like, as its definitely not perfect, but overall I prefer it. Also dont forget there is hard driver mode already in the plan for the MK1.

My biggest issue is, gameplay. The feel and vibe of lumbering around as the differently proportioned omniframe we have is a very nice alternative to the more normal running around with human character, the new suit looks like Section8 or such vibe but with the extra arm bits blocking some motions making it feel more clunky, that or like a mini robot from pacific rim. Not outright bad but more of a normal human vibe with how it moves and looks. I think changing the design would lose part of that unique motion/feel you can get with the current omniframe that helps keep this game more unique feeling when you play it. And I do say this as somone who built and played with my own omniframe in Unreal, obviously this one could be animated to move differently but the overall feel of the character size/proportions was nice. And I definitely prefered the solid big thusters and wings over those glowy fairy wings. Overall the current design is more noisy and visually interesting epecially when it moves with its more negative space and blockiness with parts.

Also we have a wealth of corporations and cultures in the Crixia universe, a great strength to it. So this means we have valid reason for different designs and technology in one setting, after all we can't even keep a constant design look goin on IRL, so when trading with different planets this seems fine to me. I also often prefer the more flexible feeling art style (in the WoW direction with all the varying cultures, buildings, weapons, but not quite so cartoony) than one that tries to make everything fit into one or two rigid design styles and comes off feeling more stiff and limited in what it can do as a result. I like open ended feeling worlds more overall.

EDIT: It's old and wonky and buggy and had rough animations of different styles I was trying quickly mixed together, but as a general idea. Think of what this would be like with more animation polish on walking anims (more than like, 20 minutes I think...) and compare that feel of playing this to the feel of playing a more conventional bipedal character. It does have a nice play vibe/feel that many others dont have with that heavy lumbering parts feel that a more "balanced" humanoid form doesn't convey. Also yes this used a hard driver setup during this test.
Trying to find the non hard driver version doing a pose, but don't recall where I left that pic/vid.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017
the Mk II, in my opinion, looks better suited towards dealing with combat, being bulkier and overall more imposing. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the four arms of the Mk II (which would probably be very similar to the Mk I) so I still like the Mk I Hard Driver mode the most. if the Hard Driver mode of the Mk II is similar to the Mk I variant I am completely sold on the Mk II

Naku

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
Overall Mk 2 looks better. It always bugged me that mk I upper and lower parts were coneccted only by this thin spine.

It also looks overal studier - more liek something ment for direct combat. MK I looks too... i was going to say fragile, but its not really it. Light? Like it dont have much mass behind it. Maybe use both: mk I as light version and mk 2 as heavy/medium.

But if i had to pick one i would go with mk2. Maybe change legs to look more like mk I since they dont look like something pilot coudl fit his own into.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2017
just a thought for an idea (I don't really follow the game updates that much even though I've subbed to the newsletter thingy, so if this has already been pitched before then give credit to the one who originally came with the idea or tell me if it's already a thing or if it's not going to be, etc etc), maybe it's already a thing or maybe not, but why not have modular pieces on these frames which can be used to change the apperence of different items on it or components, they might not change stats any, but like, they just "fit" over-top of moduels already on the frames to just change the look of them?

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
One thing I find troubling is the difference between the Mk. I artwork and the Mk. I model. The artwork is a lot more smooth or rather elegant compared to the model.

I cast my vote as "I have some ideas", so here are they:
  • Make Omniframes even taller. Currently the Mk. I is about 1.2-1.3 times as tall as the pilot and the Mk. II is about 1.1 times as tall as the pilot because it is basically an armour. I'd like the Omniframe to be about 1.4-1.8 times as tall as the pilot.
  • Make it more elegant. A bonus of the added height is that you can keep the same absolute thickness of the current versions while still being relatively more slender.
  • Keep the hypermasculine shoulders. Being more elegant doesn't mean it needs to be a lot thinner.
Edit: I intend this to be a modification of the original design. The new design I think detracts from the sense of over the top kaiju battle with its more grounded design :Ü™

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
I want omniframe to be more agile and fast so for my opinion is legs more to be cheetah like and more to have artificial muscles. I like the design of the orginal omniframe. And i think it'd be great if there will be multiple types of omniframes like assassin, warrior etc.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
it was still coming.
Common when translating 2D shapes to 3D, it's harder than it seems and not always ends looking good.
That's not the issue at play.

-----------------------

Those two pics are the same omniframe. Hard driver mode was to be something that could be activated on the original frame, to cover up the pilot if someone wanted to. It would be added on to the existing model.

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
I think that the best way it's keep current omniframe on start of the game, and then (for example) when world tier lvl rise to 3, you just can craft a new omniframe suit (how like the new mk II) that seem's more bigger and brutal, and have (maybe) additional slots for the equipment or abilities.
But the Mk. II is actually smaller on all accounts except the waist and feet than the Mk. I :Ü™

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
One thing I find troubling is the difference between the Mk. I artwork and the Mk. I model. The artwork is a lot more smooth or rather elegant compared to the model.
I'm no expert but they might look different because of the lighting and the stiff reference pose of the model. The art has less "glossy" lighting and a more dynamic pose.

Common when translating 2D shapes to 3D, it's harder than it seems and not always ends looking good.
also this.

MAybe use both ith mk I as light version and mk 2 as heavy/medium.
and this is a fantastic idea. As it stands, the designs are too different to seem like tools for the same purpose. MKII is much larger and blockier, and MKI is much smaller and sleeker. It'd also please everyone, though it'd probably be harder to implement gameplay-wise.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Winner winner! I like this 100x's better. The human arms sticking out are kinda goofy though. Unless they serve a purpose, not a big fan of them sticking out. LOVE THIS NEW DESIGN.
They both look realy good, and because there are going to be mixed feelings about them, I think you should have both of them in the game. That way everyone will be happy.

Jul 26, 2016
I adore the second version. If it works the way I think it does, the pilots arms go in the smaller sections of he frame and the larger arms follow the movements of the smaller ones. I love that concept and even though I have already seen it in Avatar, this frame looks much more solid and reliable. I also love the fact that it looks similar to the thumper, which allows it to fit into the world a little more because they look like they could have been designed off of eachother in this universe.

I REALLY hope there will be opportunities to keep stealthy, light, and speedy frames based on this, considering how bulky and slow this version looks.

For gods sake, do not abandon the first version. It has a lot of time and love put into it. It could even work as another type of frame, or work as an AI model. I'd still like to see the first frame in game, but I would feel much more badass flying around in the MKII beast.

I like where this is going!

Status
Not open for further replies.