I had hoped Ember would be Free to Play...

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
People here seemed to be worried about paying to unlock zones? I was thinking of having a couple of mini-expansions to the game. So instead of unlocking zones, you would be unlocking a combination of new features and content.
the critic will eat you alive if you even attempt to do that, 30-40$ and separate dlcs? that's sinking faster than the titanic, you can sell people early access etch, but exclusive dlcs? that's even more of a joke than gordro's suggestion of 60$ buy in and subscription, cosmetic shop is fine and even minor boosters are fine, some people will grumble but most will deal with it but 30$ and paid dlcs with extra features? i though you said that this wasn't going to be a replay of what happened to evolve but THAT is exactly what happened to evolve (and a thousand more games if i may add).
I'd look at warframe prime access system instead, it's a lot more stable and less likely to get people with pitchforks under your house
just my 2c.

HamOnRye

Aug 10, 2016
One aspect that I believe needs to be addressed (although it maybe slightly tangential) is the f2p breeds griefers.

Along with playing Firefall, I have been a long time player of Planetside 1 & 2. A trait that is common among FPS games is the extremely competitive nature often results players using 3rd party programs, and engaging in anti-social antics.

In f2p games you can't get rid of these guys. They can create accounts faster then you can ban them, they suck up a tremendous amount of developer time (trying to stay on top of ever evolving cheats)

Hardware bans, IP bans, are relatively ineffective against them. The only thing that really seems viable is tying an account to a CC and banning the CC. Additionally ensuring that the player has some skin in the game provides a powerful incentive to not resort to 3rd party software.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Trolls can only really be harmful if there was PVP in the game. That is the only time that people seem to have this insane need to get an advantage over other players.
Well, I have trolled people in that other game that went to shit but it was in a funny manner and nobody had their fun ruined.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Trolls can only really be harmful if there was PVP in the game. That is the only time that people seem to have this insane need to get an advantage over other players.
Well, I have trolled people in that other game that went to shit but it was in a funny manner and nobody had their fun ruined.
even in pvp, trolling is mostly a chat issue if you exclude heavily team based games with stakes on matches or too much competitiveness (see mobas/CoD), i'll never understand why people get so upset with players trolling in text but never seem to use ignore functions in chats.

Jul 27, 2016
People here seemed to be worried about paying to unlock zones? I was thinking of having a couple of mini-expansions to the game. So instead of unlocking zones, you would be unlocking a combination of new features and content.
Okay so I thought about it a bit more, and I think if you are very clear upfront with exactly how much we're buying at launch you could charge for story content AND zones as dlc later without it feeling crappy.

This works even better if the game is designed primarily around horizontal progression, because new zones could simply increase your play area and give space for new stories without making old areas obsolete. That will reduce fragmentation of the player base, and works well with an episodic style of development.

However, please don't charge for new features as part of dlc. That really can fragment players, and gives the people who pay up real advantages. Just feels crappy.

Jul 27, 2016
As far as I know, Mr. Kern is considering between $30-40 retail price, with an in-game cosmetics shop. Subscription is a dying model, and F2P creates an ever-spreading rash of cash shop integration that will blister eventually with P2W.

If we do a BDO-esque model (starting to become more popular) and have a $20 base game with a $40 game+ with a few cosmetics, and a $60 Collector's edition (comes with mount skin, omniframe cosmetics, and some premium currency to start, or something), I think it'll work out. Throw in a cosmetics shop and sell omniframe parts, vehicles, weapon skins, and color palettes, and longevity won't be an issue.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am not sure if there is a tactical pause, could imagine the Game A.I Director slow down when there are less players compared to a busy server.

It could even progressively take over very slowly when we are not online and to our surprise as we login there may be some territories taken over!

Doubt it would take the whole map unless it was set to very aggressive and our joint plans to stop them just didn't work.

In that case we would be pushed to our safe zone and need to figure another plan to get our territories back from those pesky tsihu!

If this A.I Direction and the Gm's making appearances as baddies time to time to make the game interesting that could be a nice mix. The other consideration is the time zone and if this is taken to account for the 3 main regions it would help.

Anyways i want to see how this kickstarter goes i hope its coming soon hmm

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Trolls can only really be harmful if there was PVP in the game
Trolls can be harmful even in co-op too such as in l4d2 they would damage you on purpose. or slow the team down by taking most of the health kits leaving less for the others.

Some even block your line of sight walking infront of you then when you shoot they blame you for team killing and then get you kicked out rather than crouching down when moving in front.

They may have a friend who joins in with them, and when you want to kick them out you cannot because you need more votes to kick so that is not possible. Usually its why some play solo or just create a friends lobby.

Not all trolls are jerks but the one's that are really make the game unpleasant.
I am sure they have so many ways to disrupt someones game from using different computers to changing names and to reappear as someone else while their friend can re-invite them.

Aug 26, 2016
Actually, the BDO model is pretty nice. Buy to play and then there is an optional subsciption in game that adds mostly convenience stuff. Not talking about the rest of the cash shop just the optional sub items. Gives full access to dyeing your armor when ever you want, or character customization. Give very small boost to XP, gathering, crafting, most are negligible. However it does cross the line with reducing the marketplace tax by a considerable amount. So I would avoid stuff like that. But those cosmetic things and say 5% extra resources from thumping. Or 5% reduces repair costs, 5% isn't going to break balance but it would incentive buying those option 30 day sub packs. Those who want to support the game would buy those like hot cakes, and those who don't wont feel like they are second class citizens.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
could imagine the Game A.I Director slow down when there are less players compared to a busy server.
could even progressively take over very slowly when we are not online
It'll be interesting to see how this will be implemented. Even taking over player-made bases, how does the takeover operate? A shorthand numbers game when no one is looking, or a simulated battle that runs even when no players are in the area? It'll be a marvel when we see it.

the BDO model is pretty nice
BDO monetization worked. Not sure how the game-release version of the patron is meant to work. It currently provides cheap skins and access to a few lore things (and because the team is so small, not all of it is being updated regularly). But when they put the price up, I don't think a random skin a month, some novel chapters and the boardgames rules will cut it. I don't think it should modify any gameplay elements (increased resources, etc) but maybe:

One new skin a month (Player, Mount, pet, dropship, etc).
Access to new novel chapters
Access to the Crixa boardgame rules (could be a one-off purchase for some people)
Patron badge that levels up with each month you're subbed
40 Loyalty credits (used to purchase any non-KS/Founder skin at any time, maybe they're 200-240 LC, or more depending on rarity/vault status/grade, so you can get 1-2 a year)
Access to the Patron shop (where you can buy these skins, consumables and Patron-only cosmetics that are Patron level locked).
Login priority (if there is a queue)

Maybe make it the same as FFXIV pricing, maybe more. This way, there is more to look forward to in-game, a bit more to differentiate Patrons in game... Hell, stick a Patron Only social area into the game where people can hang out. It could be an even centre where Grummz does (pre-recorded) readings of the novel.

I just don't think it should give you -any- gameplay perks, or that other players have quality of life features (dyeing, crafting queues, etc) locked behind a pay wall for the sake of money.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Patron Only social area into the game where people can hang out. It could be an even centre where Grummz does (pre-recorded) readings of the novel.
What if the whole Em8er team pops by ingame for Chief hangout time chats done ingame too in a special area so we can see the whole team time to time?

Plus it is good to see how they will look ingame maybe they may change i'd imagine one of the Em8er team would be a piece of rock with a face rolling towards someone!

Login priority (if there is a queue)
Login rewards are good in some event times and people can get nice goodies however those who pay get a bit more extra could be special effects could be alternative voice, could be dynamic poop emoji that activates when you die doing a little wiggle and hearing a short poop sound etc