Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Ember Art & Design Updates' started by Grummz, Mar 24, 2017.
Not at first. We're going to concentrate on getting the core features of the game built first.
em8er high speed train is moving nicely!
Just like this meme
I"m interested in more feedback on the Omniframe design doc. Please post it here if you have it.
P.S. It's a good meme
lel, we get dual wield shotguns or snipers?? BORDERLANDS™IS BACK M*THERF*CKERS! Rights of this color still reserved for Torgue-Joey ™
any1 found the easteregg yet? ;D
Glad you said that, I have a few questions:
1. Regarding skim mode, what is the energy drain rate? If I can only skim for less than 5 minutes it's not even worth having that mode. Also, will skimming be any faster than walking/running (I get that it's supposed to be, but how much) and will we be able to slot certain weapons that are usable in skim mode?
2. How would armor be repaired in the field?
3. Will there be teleporting/quick travel?
4. Will there be a rating system in the database for how much people like each design?
5. It was said that each character would have access to all 3 frames. Is that still the case?
6. Suppose I wanted to use, for example, the light omniframe for both sniping and engineer. If I make all the gear necessary for both roles, would I have to move out each module one at a time or will there be some sort of setting that would allow me to save my currently slotted items to allow for easy switching?
Best part is, you could even map it like in Freespace 1-2 (don't know how it was mapped in X-Wing):
Insert-Delete for increasing/decreasing weapon energy allocation
Home-End for shield/defense
Page Up-Page Down for engine
These keys were meant for these kind of systems
Commercialized Onmiframe vs military Gatestrider omniframe.
Omniframe file templates ( VanuNanoTechnician-01.omni ) using a terminal style interface
Skins for different Outfits within Em8er with outfit decals?
Commercial Light OR
Military Light, Medium & Heavy.
Card Swapping / marketplace?
Support | DPS | Meat Shield
Light faster, medium normal and heavy, the fatso of the bunch
Omniframe Mobility Modes:
Power slides? Also Skimming drains the reactor core, meaning shields and abilities> much require recharge after skimming before they can be> employed initiated.
Shields, Armor and Damage Types
Have a power source to recharge?
Melee Damage & Progressive Damage and Critical Hits
Percentage of damage received if in the way? People will moan about it but there's no skill in spamming a type of attack for it to pass though a player.
Creating your Frame – The Frametype
Weight per card/addition. Also, showing this update on your Frame in physical menifestation.
A power distribution setting?
Abilities/Weapons Left Arrow
Defense Right Arrow
Reset Down Arrow
Or the ability to rebind all keys to the user.
An auto allocation or customise button.
are you suggesting that we should use items for these things instead of being a transformer?
NO WAY. I want to be able to transform.
1. As I read it you don't have a limit to how long you can glide/skim, it simply diverted enough power that when you finished your abilities and shields would be on cooldown so you can't use this to easily get into/out of combat but would want to enter a normal walking/running/jetting mode before the fighting starts. Though if there is confusion still a point to bring up so it can be made clearer if needed.
Spoiler: My own feedback, (bit long)
1. It seemed there was a limit to the number of frames you'd normally have at once (but could buy more, probably up till an upper limit also though). I'm guessing this is for frames you can instantly/easily swap between when one gets damaged or at the garage with a single UI interaction (like frame stations in Firefall).
However I'm uncertain how this works for changing existing frames. If I have bought one light frame with one set of weapons, abilities, paint, armor, cat ears, etc.... and then I go and using that same frame/slot build a new frame will I lose the old one? I ask since frames cost resources to build initially (and to an extent to be repaired), so will all my investment have been lost? Will I get a full refund? Or will it just save those parts/modules in a larger inventory so I can swap that frame/slot back to the older design when I feel like it without additional (major) expense?
Depending on the answer this could seriously limit the willingness of players to mess around with and customize their frames.
While the write up on the omniframe implied the use of modules to be swapped out, it never clearly said just how this would work so I am curious.
2. "Glide: By leaping from a height and deploying their wings, Omniframes can glide over great distances. While they can’t self-launch, an Omniframe can glide from any higher land to lower ground."
Can't self launch, does that mean you need a deployable glider pad or such, or simply that they can't use their jets while gliding to fly, like in FF. Might want to reward and clarify.
3. For damage types, what would a cutting laser fall under? Energy is the first one that comes to mind, but being light it's not something most shields that I see should block in games or media or such (being transparent and all...). Not as key for frames in this document, just something that comes to mind to ask about. Possibility of lasers being short fire duration vs overheat weapons making them overall less damaging than continuous projectile weapons, but also able to ignore shields largely does interest me. Probably give them relatively quick falloffs on range/damage for design purposes though.
4. Critical hits, are these just a random chance occurrence? Or are they referencing getting shot in the head/weak spot or something? Also for what part is affected is it just roll a dice and see how screwed you are, or more like Warthunder/WoT where it's based on where you got hit by the given attack? In general not a fan of completely random types of mechanics like this, but do understand the idea of throwing in some variation or unexpected aspects to combat. Still, something to approach very carefully as it could easily frustrate people if not done right.
5. Power allocation. Is that % for each given frame part just a universal % buff, or is it the % of power directed when it's being split? That is to say if I have all my abilities and stuff fully charged and use my jets, even though they are on a 40% split would they receive 100% of the power output to their charge rate being the only thing currently needing power, or would they still just receive a charge based on that flat 40% and ignore the part that nothing else is currently drawing it? This part left me rather confused and drawing a blank for how it worked.
6. My biggest issue is with the idea that certain weapon types (and to an extent other things) will be locked from certain frames. Both from a gameplay standpoint, and a design standpoint.
If you can only make ten good guns a month on your budget, get the most bang for your buck. Make it a completely modular system so they can be used on any frame with anything else. You'll get a lot more mileage out of what all your players can mess around with and do for any given piece of work. On the gameplay side I like the idea of making a heavy frame that's a healer. Naturally it'll be slower than a lighter frame, but what's wrong with letting a player decide they want a slow and tanky medic for certain fights? Deciding that a medic "must" be fast and agile and die easily if hit is a pointless constraint as far as I am concerned that just feels like limiting yourself to the status quo. A sniper rifle on a heavy frame, might not be the most practical in 90% of cases but still can be an option for someone to mess around with.
Afterburner/mobility abilities made for a light frame on a heavy frame? Why not, factor in frame weight so it won't push you as far. And maybe specialize with a core processing module that boosts all abilities of a certain type. So you can have a mobility heavy frame with a melee build, it won't be as fast as the light one but can take a bigger beating, swap two abilities out for tanky abilities and the core processing module and now you can have a shield/tank melee unit with one re-positioning ability, that will now move it even less. Still, the player has the option.
Or on the opposite end why not let a fast agile light frame have a shield wall or something ability? Sure it won't last as long or take the same beating or such as a heavy frames, but now you can have a support that can quickly reach your allies at longer/more vertical distances and give them a bit of protection? Or have it as a sniper so you can quickly react/defend against a sudden incoming attack.
Or let a light frame carry a cannon, it will just weigh them down a lot. They can carry one big gun but will be slower for it, maybe they can carry less total ammo, or just had to skip an extra ability slot or glider upgrades to let their frame still move quickly, but now you can an AOE offensive mobile unit.... that will die if the enemy so much as sneezes in its direction. Still, it's an option.
Make a good underlying system of inherent costs for any given item and then a base range for any frame, and there should be no reason to outright gate or limit certain items from certain frames. Players get to play more with each new patch, and developers get more bang for their buck, win win.
7. "You can also customize the look of your omniframe my purchasing skins, emotes and sound fx from the game’s online store."
Should be "by" purchasing skins...
8. Also for skim mode, was this rougly what you meant for flying with wings out and feet just above the ground? (skip to 0:22)
Or maybe something more like this, where they are in a more standing pose where the feet just kind of slide over the ground? (but with weapons restricted unlike here) (skip to 0:58)
FEED BACK? NO. YOU FEED US.
GIVE THIS MAN A COOKIE. ASAP.
LIGHT FRAME (aka. THE PUSSY BOT): Dual wielding Melee suckers. I SEE A BUNCH OF DEAD WANNA-BE NINJA LOSERS.
(may or may not build one, depends what we get es being an Engineer. AS LONG THEY DON'T LOOK ANOREXIC.)
MEDIUM FRAME (aka. EM-8ER Gunzerker/Cowboy): So we'll be shooting with 2 Ratatats in UT 2k6 style? OR HAVING BIGASS 6 SHOOTERS WITH THESE BAD BABIES(<- c'mon, it's a f*cking Link. Now click it.)
HEAVY FRAME (aka. The Lean Mean Torgue Machine): AS LONG I GET A 2 HANDED SLAUGHTER GUN. REVERTING 100% ENERGY INTO FIRE POWER BECOMING AN IMMOBILE RATATATATATATATATATATATATAMATHAF*CKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA
Overall I'm a happy maniac about it.
JUMP-JET: GROUND SLAMMING ANYONE? NO? CHICKENS!
Oh the joys of Jump pads just for the fun of using them and circling around the map to come back. I don't think I mention transformation modes. The red underline are words suggested to be removed.
You can switch from melee to guns pretty fast, so these Ninjas might be pretty effective. Plus light frames tend to have teleporting or stealth upgrades available.
I clicked the link, Torgue, and no, Mediums won't be dual wielding artillery howitzers...
Immobile Turrent mode for heavy or Siege mode makes sense.
Yep, this is the idea. You got it. You can skim for long periods, but when you come out of skim mode, no matter the distance, you will be on zero power to all other systems. In skim-mode shields are low and abilities are on cool-down and will need to spin back up. You can't really shoot in Skim mode either. It's travel only. Like the bike in FF.
Power-Slides: It might be fun (dunno yet) to include movement upgrades like vectored thrust, which would give you a dodge-like ability.
Power hotkeys: Arrow keys sound nice. Also want a version where you dont' have to move your hands from mouse or keys.
Slots & Power Constraint: Given the nature of the upgrades, not sure if auto-optimize is even possible..but we'll see. Nice to have.
Probably not going to provide keys to increment or decrement power. In X-Wing you usually went 100% to each system and a hotkey to go to max is more often used. But a powershunt upgrade will let you customize the profile to determine how much power goes to where on each hotkey, kind of like 3 power profiles you can hotkey between.
shotguns, maybe. Sniper rifles will probably be restricted to light frames. Each frame has some unique weapons and abilities in addition to the common pool.
not like i meant dual wielding sniper rifles... I know that the medium frame won't have sniper rifles, and the heavy frame only sniper rifles in form of artillery or huge railguns *cough cough*.
When a long range 'F*ck you' in the head is not enough that you need to 'f*ck you too' its surroundings.
I imagined. Just said that, because many lacks the skill to be one. I'M JUST PICKING ON THEM. I SURE AS F*CK SUCKS IN STEALTH.
F*CK THE HOWITZER. IT'S ABOUT THE AMMO-NATION. TAKE A LOOK AT THAT RAGING BULL/HORNET. THOSE REAL BRAZILIAN MOTHAF*CKA. DON'T YOU WANNA DUAL WIELD THOSE BADASSES? SERIOUSLY? NOW I'M GETTING A ERECTION DYSF*CKTION
GOTTA COMPENSATE MY ERECTION DYSF*CKTION ;D
Will you be adding screen shake if you are within the vicinity, and perhaps some sort of terrain disfiguration where it lands?