customizable weapons?

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Im not really forum active but I think I should make a forum threat about how to pay for it but... its so early its kind of pointless lol though im hopping to get a title showing we have been with ember since the beginning
YOU STILL CAN MAKE A THREAD FOR IN-GAME TITLES AND POSSIBLE HOW TO OBTAIN VARIOUS TITLES. STILL BETTER THAN THOSE SH*TY STEAM ACHIEVEMENT.

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
To be honest i don't wanna spend real $ on some accessories if the game is P2P i dont see the point of it. I think everyone ho buy the game need to have chance to make his character how he wants, or make it that u can buy it with real $ or ING currency. It's just my opinion.
The thing is, if you buy a single player game for $30-40 you're likely to get 15-20 hours of gameplay out of it, then it goes back on the shelf. Sure most creators try to whack on multiplayer, etc. to improve longevity but let's face it, that doesn't last very long either.

With good online games with loads of bods even if you did pay $30-40 up front you'll end up spending waaaaaay more than 15-20 hours playing it, plus a single-player game doesn't need servers or constant development of content. So, the devs need an additional source of income to keep things rolling.

I'm not a fan of paying for decal/colours/pallets/hanging bits/stupid hats/etc. but I do sometimes feel bad when I've been playing a F2P game for ages and don't dip into my wallet now and again to support the devs :)

KekHifR

Oct 6, 2016
The thing is, if you buy a single player game for $30-40 you're likely to get 15-20 hours of gameplay out of it, then it goes back on the shelf. Sure most creators try to whack on multiplayer, etc. to improve longevity but let's face it, that doesn't last very long either.

With good online games with loads of bods even if you did pay $30-40 up front you'll end up spending waaaaaay more than 15-20 hours playing it, plus a single-player game doesn't need servers or constant development of content. So, the devs need an additional source of income to keep things rolling.

I'm not a fan of paying for decal/colours/pallets/hanging bits/stupid hats/etc. but I do sometimes feel bad when I've been playing a F2P game for ages and don't dip into my wallet now and again to support the devs :)
Yeah i agree with u. I dont mind to pay 30, 40 $ for a game that has it all, for a good quality game where i spend a lot of time especially the open world game with good mp and as u said devs need our support becouse they are making the game for us and they need money to keep it good, so i support what u said.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Everything is centered around gathering resources and using them to customize the functions of your weapon and omniframe. There will be a very straightforward recipe system and "nudges." Nudges are used to take a base weapon recipe and nudge its stats to favor what you like: reload time, ammo capacity, and other factors yet to be nailed down.

Like Diablo II, there might also be a way to "gamble" on improving an item. You could combine resources with alien artifacts you have found to bring to a NPC who can do R&D and tinker on your weapon. This will result in slight improvement to crazy good improvement or new weapon effect. Its a great way to have a resource sink in the game too.

For cosmetics, we're going to (where we can and still makes okay sense) separate cosmetics from functionality. Functionality is what you play and earn from skill/time. Cosmetics is what is sold to keep our servers afloat and pay for CPU and bandwidth. Even though we are charging up front, that doesn't cover the costs of running online servers for very long, and we'd rather the money go into future expansions.

KekHifR

Oct 6, 2016
Everything is centered around gathering resources and using them to customize the functions of your weapon and omniframe. There will be a very straightforward recipe system and "nudges." Nudges are used to take a base weapon recipe and nudge its stats to favor what you like: reload time, ammo capacity, and other factors yet to be nailed down.

Like Diablo II, there might also be a way to "gamble" on improving an item. You could combine resources with alien artifacts you have found to bring to a NPC who can do R&D and tinker on your weapon. This will result in slight improvement to crazy good improvement or new weapon effect. Its a great way to have a resource sink in the game too.

For cosmetics, we're going to (where we can and still makes okay sense) separate cosmetics from functionality. Functionality is what you play and earn from skill/time. Cosmetics is what is sold to keep our servers afloat and pay for CPU and bandwidth. Even though we are charging up front, that doesn't cover the costs of running online servers for very long, and we'd rather the money go into future expansions.
Grummz thanks for your reply on this post. Now we know everything about this thread. :)

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
IMMA ABUSE THE SH*T OUTTA HIM.

FOR THIS BABY

you know I always wonder / I think it should be [near the end of development near launch] your frame shows kind of what you built so tanky looks tanky fast looks fast so on. But also be able to buy many omni frames and weapons [from base no upgrades] to build your own frame how you want to heck if that's the case if need be you can sell inventory slots for omni frames and weapons.

I want to build a mammoth in ember that has a mortar or cannon lol

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Just don't mimic what Firefall did with "tinkering." It was a lottery you were guaranteed to win EVENTUALLY and just another set of predetermined stat boosts that you had to fight RNG to get. It has no value to the current vision of Ember. Please don't.

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Just don't mimic what Firefall did with "tinkering." It was a lottery you were guaranteed to win EVENTUALLY and just another set of predetermined stat boosts that you had to fight RNG to get. It has no value to the current vision of Ember. Please don't.
Yes, please DO NOT emulate that god-awful system! The moment you mentioned 'tinkering' I thought, "please, NOOOOOOOOOOO"...

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
No, Em-8ER focus is not RNG. There will, of course, be some RNG, but nobody like a grind lottery.
MAH BRAIN HAVIN HARD TIME TO COMPREHEND THAT......
*KABOOM*

HOW IT GONNA F*CKING IMPROVE STATS OR ADD NEW EFFECTPLOSION WITHOUT RNG SH*T? OR IS THAT LOTTERY F*CKER PART OF THAT "SOME RNG"?

WIN-WIN SITIUATION? LIKE, EITHER TURNING THIS SH*TNADE INTO A NUKE OR IT TURNS INTO A CLUSTERF*CKER

EITHER WAY, BOTH IMPROVEMENT ARE F*CKING EXPLOSIVE.

Aug 14, 2016
If you want to make nukes for AOEs, mine things like uranium and plutonium. If you want more bullet damage for guns, make bullets out of things like depleted uranium and tungsten (for the people who don't know. Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest materials in existence and substantially harder than titanium, registering a 9 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness (compared to titanium's score of 6)). You want things like laser weapons to be more powerful, then mine for crystals that can be used as lenses to focus the beams while also being able to resist changing shape due to high heat.

You get the point. By linking the stats to the resources used to make the weapons themselves there is no need to add in crappy RNG. And all everything becomes a matter how you refine and use the resources to craft the weapons. And you can make even better materials if know how to mix and refine different things to make something new. For example, steel is not a nature metal so if you want to make steel you need to refine iron while also adding in carbon into the mix to turn the iron into steel.

As a person who has bad luck with RNGs in games, I personally hate them and find devs who rely on them to be lazy. Luck is not a skill, so having RNGs in a skill based game makes no sense as a part of any kind of reward system. Because people who have bad luck may never get the things they want or need even after hours, days, weeks, and months of playing with is not fun at all and is more likely to make you stop playing rather than keep you playing.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Gambling at the NPC R&D division will be RNG though, as it is gambling. High risk, slim chance of high reward...great drain on economy :)

But nobody will be required to gamble on R&D to be effective at game. Esp because of how we are going to weave a skill factor into all weapons and abilities.