Behold the MultiWeapon. Weapon design & types idea.

Nov 7, 2018
MultiWeapon - transforms/changes depending on modification
(Works with all existing weapon ideas, this is a core design aspect of how weapons could work)
(Basic Technical Information found further down is an important read for developers)

Im tired of seeing the same slots since the 90's. Press 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and select your weapon or item. This has become standardized in game development and works - it's easy to implement and players know how it works.

But what if we could come up with an idea for Em8er to use something different?
This is a mech vs kaiju game.
I think about Pacific Rim or Transformers when I see this game.
Could it be necessary to change even core aspects of standardized game design?

I think so.

Idea:

What is the modification system?
A modification is the weapon type(It could be anything you can use - mining tool, screwdriver for repairing.
But lets focus on weapons).
Instead of using several different weapons, you have a mod which you put into your MultiWeapon and that will make the MultiWeapon transform/change into the weapon-type.

How will it work, then?

You essentially have one weapon only, or it could affect L or R(Player choise) glove only. - MultiWeapon / MultiGlove. (MW / MG)
The MultiWeapon has a slot/ability for a modification to be put in.
The modification itself could range a wide variety of options, but lets start with the core weapons.

Instead of having to press 1 or 2, 3, 4 you could implement something like Crysis 1 has. A wheel to select which modification you wish to use in battle.
Animation + timer could slow down the switch between the modifications.

It should come with a default mod.
Pistol or Assault rifle. Preferably kinetic damage type.
Player choise could be implemented here and set the default weapon for a class - "What type of soldier are you? Heavy. You start with machinegun mod"

Examples of different mods and weapon types which your Muitiweapon can change into:

Kinetic/Laser/Plasma Pistol
Kinetic/Laser/Plasma Assault Rifle
Kinetic/Laser/Plasma Sniper Rifle
Kinetic/Laser/Plasma Machine gun
Kinetic/Laser/Plasma Cannon

You could essentially insert any type of weapon here.
Asteroid gun? You got it, it would work lore-wise because the MultiWeapon is powered by a Quantum Core (Or whatever powersource is used by your Omniframe)

Craftable? Lootable?
Yes to both.
Mods could have rarity too.
Example: Assault rifle mod can be crafted or dropped in a number of instances.
increased rarity makes increased damage, available upgrades etc.

There are infinite different ideas for this.

What type of ammo/clip would this system use?

Rather than using x/x amounts.
The multiweapon could have a single ammo type, the %-type which has been seen in Mass Effect games for example.
Instead of reloading, you overheat the multiweapon and have to wait for it to cooldown.

I personally think, lore-wise, that it should use some sort of quantum core which gets rewritten by each modification. Quantum can essentially create anything.

How would MultiWeapon work with Techtree?

The techtree will affect modification, not the weapon. The weapon is the design.
The skilltext for the techtree can still say "x% extra damage for assault rifles".
Call it A, B, C.
A = Modification
B = Weapon
C = What MultiWeapon changes into

Each techtree option will only affect A or C.

Upgradeable MultiWeapon?
Yes, this would work. Even with the techtree in mind.
Some of the tech you choose could give different perks to your prefered modification.

Basic Technical Stuff

Only a part of the MultiWeapon changes.

You dont have to rebuild the mesh from scratch for each weapon.
You can use the same mesh for the trigger and other parts of the MultiWeapon for any modification.
What will change?
Receiver, Barrel, core body (middle part).. the amount of changes is not set - designers decide what is most time efficient. As long as it looks different and individual. I'd personally skip parts which players tend not to look at.

Time savings
As mentioned in the previous part, you dont have to rebuild everything unless you want to.
- Bullets can be modular and essentially be reused for all mods, but comes in different shapes and sizes.
- You dont have to animate when character is grabbing for his weapon, all animations are done with the weapon
- Aside from Splash art for the modification, you dont have to model the weapon on the ground.
- It would be much more time efficient in many more ways aside from planning and executing the idea.

Thank you for reading!
I'd like to answer any questions you might have about this, I might've forgotten something I wrote in my design document.

I really hope to see this idea in Em8er, I am certain it would work and become aesthetically unique for players.
I wholeheartedly think this idea is better ingame than on-paper.

FEEL FREE TO USE THIS IDEA FOR ANY GAME.
I DON'T ENDORSE ANYONE SAYING THIS IS "THEIR IDEA" OUTSIDE EM8ER AND ITS' DEVELOPERS.
I DON'T WANT ANY CREDIT IN THE CREDIT ROLLS FOR THIS GAME SHOULD THIS IDEA OR ANY PART OF IT BE USED.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018
I have been championing the modular weapon system (and the omniframe as well) pretty much since Em-8er forums went live.

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/one-weapon-many-mods.372/

There found it..

EDIT: Also https://forums.em8er.com/threads/health-armor-and-shields-and-damage-types.457/ was the sister topic I made for the above.
That means we have a common cause. Do your ideas align with mine?
Maybe we could write something much bigger and better together?

However, I feel like having a single-type weapon is very counterproductive to playerchoise.
I like the ammo-system you are using although it will take a long time to implement.

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
That means we have a common cause. Do your ideas align with mine?
Maybe we could write something much bigger and better together?

However, I feel like having a single-type weapon is very counterproductive to playerchoise.
I like the ammo-system you are using although it will take a long time to implement.
Not sure what you mean by single type weapon. I think the whole concept of modularity means there is never a single type.

Nov 7, 2018
Not sure what you mean by single type weapon. I think the whole concept of modularity means there is never a single type.
"The base weapon is a standard issue automatic (or perhaps semi-auto?) Assault Rifle with all around moderate stats. This omni-weapon will have 3 mod slots with no restriction on what can be placed in them (Though each mod should be unique). Rather than having distinct weapon types, these mods will determine all of the weapon characteristics allowing for a wide variety of play styles and features. "

It's one weapon. Single-type, it looks the same and feels the same.
Generally, the ammo-idea you have are really good. It's very D&D or RPG. (I haven't been able to read everything just yet)

But in order for games to feel diverse there needs to be more visual aspects (See: World of warcraft vanilla with it's diversity on gear, almost everything has a different aesthetic to it).
Also, even though the idea is rocksolid and would make for an awesome experience, that many ammo types means less time for other things in the game.

With my idea I wanted to take that into account, less focus on written stuff (for example, adding just one ammo-type, %-type which overheats), more focus on visual aspects but still maintaining the RPG aspects (rarity on mods for the MultiWeapon)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
"The base weapon is a standard issue automatic (or perhaps semi-auto?) Assault Rifle with all around moderate stats. This omni-weapon will have 3 mod slots with no restriction on what can be placed in them (Though each mod should be unique). Rather than having distinct weapon types, these mods will determine all of the weapon characteristics allowing for a wide variety of play styles and features. "

It's one weapon. Single-type, it looks the same and feels the same.
Generally, the ammo-idea you have are really good. It's very D&D or RPG. (I haven't been able to read everything just yet)

But in order for games to feel diverse there needs to be more visual aspects (See: World of warcraft vanilla with it's diversity on gear, almost everything has a different aesthetic to it).
Also, even though the idea is rocksolid and would make for an awesome experience, that many ammo types means less time for other things in the game.

With my idea I wanted to take that into account, less focus on written stuff (for example, adding just one ammo-type, %-type which overheats), more focus on visual aspects but still maintaining the RPG aspects (rarity on mods for the MultiWeapon)
I do not remember ever saying it would look the same, each mod would have to change the look (sometimes significantly). I said the base weapon design would be a standard Assault Rifle, meaning without any mods. There is no way you could add a mod to an assault rifle that would change it into, say, a launcher without some reasonable graphical changes. I believe I even stated in a response that my suggestion was only covering the game mechanics not the aesthetics. I fully agree that having only a single weapon look would get boring quickly, and also be very confusing for players.

EDIT: As an example, if you added a barrel mod that created 3 barrels your gun would change to reflect that, it might look something like:

Then if you added a mod to change the ammo type to a propelled launcher type the front might look more like:

If you decided you didn't care for the triple barrel mod you could pull it out and your gun would become a single barrel launcher:

And if you pull out the single barrel launcher, your gun simply returns to being an Assault Rifle...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018
I do not remember ever saying it would look the same, each mod would have to change the look (sometimes significantly). I said the base weapon design would be a standard Assault Rifle, meaning without any mods. There is no way you could add a mod to an assault rifle that would change it into, say, a launcher without some reasonable graphical changes. I believe I even stated in a response that my suggestion was only covering the game mechanics not the aesthetics. I fully agree that having only a single weapon look would get boring quickly, and also be very confusing for players.

EDIT: As an example, if you added a barrel mod that created 3 barrels your gun would change to reflect that, it might look something like:

Then if you added a mod to change the ammo type to a propelled launcher type the front might look more like:

If you decided you didn't care for the triple barrel mod you could pull it out and your gun would become a single barrel launcher:

And if you pull out the single barrel launcher, your gun simply returns to being an Assault Rifle...
Oh, I misinterpreted it! My bad
But then, what would be the difference between switching between this and the ordinary system?
So, your idea makes them transform as well depending on what mod you insert?
Like, say, transformers (Since its game aesthetics is very similar)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Oh, I misinterpreted it! My bad
But then, what would be the difference between switching between this and the ordinary system?
So, your idea makes them transform as well depending on what mod you insert?
Like, say, transformers (Since its game aesthetics is very similar)
Something like that. Every projectile form can be created by modifying a few core stats, Area Radius, Rate of Fire, Capacity, Mass, Firing Arc, Velocity, Projectiles per shot and an "exotic" trigger. If these are all linked to specific mods which are also tied to a graphical component on the weapon then you can mix and match however you desire to get the effect you want and the appearance will change to match.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018
Something like that. Every projectile form can be created by modifying a few core stats, Area Radius, Rate of Fire, Capacity, Mass, Firing Arc, Velocity, Projectiles per shot and an "exotic" trigger. If these are all linked to specific mods which are also tied to a graphical component on the weapon then you can mix and match however you desire to get the effect you want and the appearance will change to match.
I personally really like your idea, but it feels like too much work for me.
The %-system for ammo is easy. If I wanted elemental, or area of effect boosts, radius boost etc etc.. I'd probably store that in the Techtree for players to choose and upgrade from.

With that said..

If it was up to me I'd probably choose your idea but create.. 15-25% of everything stated if I was on a low budget. Maybe use %-system but do an overhaul for ammunition + other aspects taken from your idea once game was released and players felt it needs a change.

Transformable weapon though, thats something I'd keep no matter what haha.

Nov 7, 2018
The aesthetics of the electrical cannon though, that looks like something I could see the MultiWeapon transform into.

EDIT: Hold on it seems to be doing some transforming. I really like. Thats kind of what I was imagining in em8er, kind of like what Hard reset is doing but add much more RPG to it.
Would prefer a more.. sci-fi, "pacific rim" type of aesthetic to the MultiWeapon though. This is a good reference video though, I think.

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
TL;DR (BLAME THE LACK OF CAPITAL LETTERS)

THE DIAL UP WHEEL MIGHT BE PAIN IN THE ASS FOR THE MEDIUM FRAME WITH DUAL WIELD FUNCTION.

NO TIME TO DIAL OR WHAT EVER, GOT SH*T TO BLOW UP.
I STAY WITH THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT, ALSO MORE WITH EVIIIIIL KITTEN HERE.

OR, MODIFY SO HARD YOU TURN A RIFLE INTO A BADASS QUAD BARREL 'NADE LAUNCHER!

i0mhnq6f7riuue9mqxyw.jpg

SOME CONCEPT MADE BY SOMEONE FOR EM8ER. AS AN EXAMPLE! gauss.png nadelauncher.png noice.png plasma_shotgun_01.png

Nov 7, 2018
TL;DR (BLAME THE LACK OF CAPITAL LETTERS)

THE DIAL UP WHEEL MIGHT BE PAIN IN THE ASS FOR THE MEDIUM FRAME WITH DUAL WIELD FUNCTION.

NO TIME TO DIAL OR WHAT EVER, GOT SH*T TO BLOW UP.
I STAY WITH THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT, ALSO MORE WITH EVIIIIIL KITTEN HERE.

OR, MODIFY SO HARD YOU TURN A RIFLE INTO A BADASS QUAD BARREL 'NADE LAUNCHER!

View attachment 3047

SOME CONCEPT MADE BY SOMEONE FOR EM8ER. AS AN EXAMPLE! View attachment 3048 View attachment 3049 View attachment 3050 View attachment 3051
Please dont use my post to market yourself. Thank you.

Im 100% certain a transformable MultiWeapon will fit the aesthetics more than the ordinary weaponsystem. I agree that the weapon wheel might not be a good idea if they include dualwielding.

At some point, people have to realise all this has a limit to what you can actually do. There's a hard limit on resources.
It's better to imagine, come up with an idea and ultimately post an idea that is realistic and inline with the limit of the resources - otherwise you put yourself up to disappointment.

The more time put into tons of different ammo and other floats (which doesnt have a huge impact on gameplay as a whole) the less time will be put into making the world.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

I like the nano tech effect and also how the T-1000 reshapes the arm into a blade using the liquid metal it looks nice.

Also like the way the tron bike rezzes imagine a weapon appearing like that too hmm

Though i am not sure if these are possible to do but they sure look neat.

Nov 7, 2018

I like the nano tech effect and also how the T-1000 reshapes the arm into a blade using the liquid metal it looks nice.

Also like the way the tron bike rezzes imagine a weapon appearing like that too hmm

Though i am not sure if these are possible to do but they sure look neat.
Nice comparisons! I think the easiest way to do this would be to give it a transformers-esque animation. It's already almost done when you see the mechsuit roll and stand up in one of the demoreels.