Not open for further replies.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Greetings,

It's here! It's out! It's even in your hands if you're a backer! Yes my friends, I'm talking about the Em-8er Movement Demo!

This represents the very first, super early example of gameplay for this project. If you are a backer of the appropriate level, you can log into My.em-8er.com right now and download it! Also, hop over to Grummz' twitch channel and watch the video the live reveal! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/445024025

In moments like this, we at Crixa labs can't help but feel supremely grateful for the support we have received over these many months. Thank you for standing by us! Please share your thoughts with us below, your feedback matters to us!

Now get yourselves in an Omniframe and take to the sky!

Jan 26, 2017
US
Just ran/jumped/jet packed/glided around the demo island for about 20 minutes; so much fun already. When the game releases, my hope is that the jet pack, jump pad and glider functionality is immediately available at starting level. Fun movement is, in my opinion, critical to the success of Em8er. Gategliders (er...striders...I meant striders...totally...) assemble!!

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Good to have the demo live and can catch some Em.8ER airtime!

Ground Movement:
1. I feel the base ground and sprint speed is good for the Med OF.
2. I feel the current left/right/forward/reverse responsiveness would suit the Hvy OF better v/s the Med OF.
3. I feel the OF idle animation needs to be different than breathing (no ideas yet but may add some as i ponder on it).

Jump Jets:
1. In air control/responsiveness feels more suited for the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF.
2. I feel the vertical lift should be stronger; basically add a little speed to the altitude gain.

Gliding:
1. I feel the OF should gain a bit more speed for diving.
2. I think the camera pulling back from the OF when gliding fast and getting closer to the OF when slowing down will add to the gliding experience. I know this was in FF but I don't know if that will make Em.8ER gliding problematic for the devs (i.e. too close to FF's implementation).
3. I feel left/right turning could use more of an OF tilt in those directions.
4. I feel the current landing animation of a few steps (momentum) would better suit the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF. Shorten it please.

Other than the above:

Apr 23, 2017
Just look up, can't miss him
First, let me just say everyone did a stellar job on this latest deliverable. I find it quite polished for such an early iteration. I will also say I found flying and gliding around quite enjoyable.

Now, on to the feedback. I'm very much in the camp of being able to glide whenever.

I've never found that flight in games made the world feel smaller. In fact it does the opposite for me because it opens up all of the space available to actually go and do things I otherwise wouldn't bother traveling for.

In an RPG it can make sense to have prolonged travel times and a "bigger" world enforced through that sort of mechanic, but I'm seeing Ember as being more action-oriented.

But however the team decides to handle our mobility, I'm sure the final product is going to be a blast to play. It's already pretty close and we don't even have guns yet :)

Myst

Archon
Ark Liege
Hypedration
Aug 19, 2016
yo. can any1 post the commands for gliding...that is glider activation...lol...i tried almost all the keybord buttons but still nada...
what can i say but ...lol
:D
other than that the demo looks quite awesomesauce...can't w8 to be able to kick a ton of tsihu buttses...
If i recall the build we have does not have a padless glider, but number #1 key drops a pad that you can step on.

Myst

Archon
Ark Liege
Hypedration
Aug 19, 2016
Good to have the demo live and can catch some Em.8ER airtime!

Ground Movement:
1. I feel the base ground and sprint speed is good for the Med OF.
2. I feel the current left/right/forward/reverse responsiveness would suit the Hvy OF better v/s the Med OF.
3. I feel the OF idle animation needs to be different than breathing (no ideas yet but may add some as i ponder on it).

Jump Jets:
1. In air control/responsiveness feels more suited for the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF.
2. I feel the vertical lift should be stronger; basically add a little speed to the altitude gain.

Gliding:
1. I feel the OF should gain a bit more speed for diving.
2. I think the camera pulling back from the OF when gliding fast and getting closer to the OF when slowing down will add to the gliding experience. I know this was in FF but I don't know if that will make Em.8ER gliding problematic for the devs (i.e. too close to FF's implementation).
3. I feel left/right turning could use more of an OF tilt in those directions.
4. I feel the current landing animation of a few steps (momentum) would better suit the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF. Shorten it please.

Other than the above:
Great review! All my points I wanted to hit were spot on in yours.

Side note. Idle animations? We could have there be cosmetic options for those ya know. I think that's the plan anyways.

Also. Sprinting should be unlimited in my opinion even if you have to build it into the frame itself as a passive. We will have to see what it's like as time goes on.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
yo. can any1 post the commands for gliding...that is glider activation...lol...i tried almost all the keybord buttons but still nada...
what can i say but ...lol
:D
other than that the demo looks quite awesomesauce...can't w8 to be able to kick a ton of tsihu buttses...
Hey there Aphaz,
These are in the #updates channel in Discord but here ya go!
Hidden under the spoiler for those who don't want to see them yet.
Available for those who would like to have them.
:cool:

=============================
Movement Demo Keybindings:
=============================
Don't forget you can press ESC to bring up the "Video & Gameplay" Tabbed Menus (see at the very top of screen) to adjust settings, and to exit the demo.

You can press Left Shift to sprint.
You can press space bar to jump.
You can press and hold space bar to activate jetpacks.
You can press 1 to get a jump pad; use left mouse click to place it.
You can press alt to have your character crouch.

Fooni

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
The movement feels neutral. Nothing good, nothing too bad. The only thing that might needs fixing
is the crouch animation. If you stand idle and press Left Alt it slowly goes into crouch animation
versus when you are moving forward and crouch, your frame goes perfectly well. Dropping via on
the side of a hill or mountain may have given a lot more push speed than it looks after a high
jumpjet session, but thats probably just me. I am not sure about everyone else. That one you don't
have to take a look at if you think that it is the correct speed input.

Vollmond

Firstclaimer
Nov 13, 2016
I'm okay with ff gliding mechanic, but here it looks weird.
We have wings, but they are broken and only gliding pads can fix that? I just can't understand how it works, and this whole thing doesn't seem right.

Anyway, I'm glad to this progress.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
We have wings, but they are broken and only gliding pads can fix that? I just can't understand how it works, and this whole thing doesn't seem right.
Perhaps we could see the return of the rocketeer glider?

Particularly like this because could go up vertically better than the standard glider wings.

Why pads:
- Pads could be used for others too
- Pads do not have a cool down as of yet
- Pad fields = fun

Why no pads:
- pads ability could be integrated to the mech by just pressing 1
- pads seem to be bulky having to position it at the right area to be used
- pads maybe have a cool down whats not to say something integrated couldn't be similar without pads

We have wings, but they are broken and only gliding pads can fix that?
I don't think they were broken in the first place just made activate with the pad.

Vollmond

Firstclaimer
Nov 13, 2016
Perhaps we could see the return of the rocketeer glider?
nah... Rocket wings was something strange at ff-world. Also hover pad + glider pad was better and really cool method of travel :}

Any visual effect will be enough to make actual wings sensible. Something like lighting emanating from the wings.
It will be clear, that the pad charge the wings and after that they can be used.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
* Jetting is most deffinitly missing a sizable jump at the start as it was in FF. IIRC you could easely jump up and over juggernaut's shots fired at you before you needed to start jetting. Jump would get you Out of trouble much faster than the jets alone.

* Plenty of fuel and consumsion are ok. * Frame feels heavy, hard to "hover" - staying at one elevation feels like it takes more fuel than what it aught to, at least to me. * Couldn't "ski", maybe not implemented yet.

* Friction between the ground and the frame gets iffy once it hits about 60 degree mark, would help if the frame could "grab" the ground, with a free hand if weapon is one handed, to slow down or stop the inevitable slide from any and all hills.

* Gliding seems like you don't get quite as far as one could before (FF), like the angle of descent from horisontal line is a bigger than expected.

* Glider deployable in the air would be nice, used "Angelwings" in FF (in the WoW with slot machines and Guns period, few months/year before the end) - super useful if you jet to full height and then get a new boost from the angel glider and glide to where you need to go.

* Brown polyps/barnacles are drawn once you are like 2m away from them, very popin-ish.

* Frame has momentum and weight.

Estender

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Tölva
My 2¢ on the movement.

- Way too much inertia on everything, from walking, to moving in the air with jets.
i can already picture myself sliding into a lava pit in the heat of the moment due to force what i cannot control in any way ( and what in a skill-based game, duh).
- jumping is honestly pathetic, in FF you could jump at least chest height, please increase.
- Left/right speed in the air should be equalized with the forward/backward one.
- Running out of fuel feels very inconsistent, no flames going out, no last fart of momentum before falling down to your death, nothing. It seems to just keep going as if it still had fuel.
- Speed-up time on jump-jets is a way too long. Combined with the jump height and heavy inertia, it makes an overall awkward movement system, with little incentive to use it much.

- On the bright side, gliding is perfect. Clean, simple, no bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Nice start for an implementation of movement dynamics. Definitely brings back Firefall memories. We will never get everybody agreeing on a perfect implementation, especially given that the frames are going light/medium/heavy in a way that Firefall should have done but didn't. But it is a good start. A very good start.

Demo's from here-on-in definitely need a vanity mode camera. I was a little bit disappointed to see it left out, as it's a very easy inclusion. Let people spin around their Character/Omni-frame. Even if we can't customize, we can imagine. Imagination is ownership.

The launchpad for the gliders is currently a jump pad. That was pretty cool. I was having visions of launch/jump pads with increasing jump height being a re-searchable thing.

Water physics. There's no water. If the final playable mockup is on an island, as I expect it will be, then water physics will be a must. Even if it's just a crash and burn, like Firefall, upon entering water (Personal Opinion: It should be). If it's not a crash and burn, then that's a whole other dimension to implement.

Jump pads again. We can't place them easily. It seems harder than it should be, and I couldn't seem to place them on coral.

Restarting the demo without exiting to Windblows. We need to be able to do that.

Mouse sensitivity. @Grummz, your mouse settings are spot on.

A movement demo demo mode with an obstacle course would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.