Em-8er Movement demo is LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Hey there Aphaz,
These are in the #updates channel in Discord but here ya go!
Hidden under the spoiler for those who don't want to see them yet.
Available for those who would like to have them.
:cool:

=============================
Movement Demo Keybindings:
Don't forget you can press ESC to bring up the "Video & Gameplay" Tabbed Menus (see at the very top of screen) to adjust settings, and to exit the demo.

You can press Left Shift to sprint.
You can press space bar to jump.
You can press and hold space bar to activate jetpacks.
You can press 1 to get a jump pad; use left mouse click to place it.
You can press alt to have your character crouch.

Spank U very very much ;):D

Aug 5, 2017
UK
I have spent the last hour being able to put the frame into action !! So SUPERIFIC !!!! Another injection of FF 'sugar rush' moment, when taking of for the first time - up..up and away..yehaaaa !!! Also, when finally finding the right button for the glider pad (button hopscotch-ing for about 5 mins..lol) was alot of fun to - so was sprinting around and trying to 'bunny hop'.
There are a few minor graphic/mechanical issues, but that is to be expected. Here are a few I experienced (not in any order) :-
1) Jumping/jet activation - when trying to vault/jump up and over boulders/items that seem to be doable (in relation to frame height dimension), the jets activate and you lose the applied moumentum! - could be I have heavy thumps.
2) Jet module movement - Noticed when taking off/landing that the Jet nozzles for flat/straight vertical movement, are pointing/angled to far backward, eg. /; it appears to be appx. 15 deg. offset - Still love seeing the other Horizontal jets stabilizing the frame.
3) Collision detection - There is none when walking/running/jetting/glider-ing (made that up!) into trees, inside large shell skeletons (tearing/clipping) - Probably turned off for general 'platform/level' mechanics.
4) Horizon/Sky streching - When turning or standing (looking around), the background sky seems to stretch/morph - Again, the dynamic behaviours might be turned off.
5) Ambient/light saturation - The atmosphere looks great but the 'World/terrain' is to dark at higher settings (60 to 120 fps - Epic/high dist. quality - 80% + to 3D quality) - Though if you set the overall quality down to 30-60 fps, and medium/low quality, the ambient light/saturation goes up so far it gives 'dazzling/startling' effects - to much brightness/ no contrast etc. But then its hard to see 'problems' with frame vs enviroments with lower quality/resolution settings.
6) Glider pad - When the Frame moves towards the pad, the animation/activation is to soon - It seems that the thresold detection is with the Frames feet. So it looks like the frame never moves over/hits the blue energy beam/particles...also if you do not press any key to start gliding or any action, the frame just bounces up and down (?)...funny for awile.

All in all, fantastic progression - Well done Team Em8er ! :cool:

May 22, 2018
Greetings from Germany :)
Okay first of all really good work the caracter movement feels nice and fast, the jetpack movement is also neat and tidy, but i guess i'll be the first one to actually dislike a few things about the glider.

1. (Not actually the glider but the jump pad should kick you higher, and the glider should auto activate on a jumppad (or atleast as an option) )

2. You loose WAY to much speed if you switch from a nosedive to a more level flight.

3. glider completly deactivates if the speed is not high enough (if im not mistaken in ff it would pull your nose down instead)

4. Last but not least, i know... a bit of a picky one but ... why does the glider sound like a old diesel engine before it deactivates?!

Well since im on sound subject. I love the jetpack and terrain sounds, not so sure about the sqeaky rubber boot running sounds though.

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
My first impression was that I was controlling a very heavy machine. I like the feel of it, and would expect smaller frames to feel lighter and larger frames to feel even heavier. I quickly got used to the way the jets and glider work. I noticed while sprinting, space bar will stop sprint and I have to press space bar a second time to make the jets fire - That's OK IMO. I had been used to being able to jet from sprint in FF, but I can get used to this too. I think the only thing that could make the movement demo better would be to make it multi player, or have more places to explore. ;-) It feels a little weird having so much jet fuel, but I understand the need for it. I think we could use a few taller mountains, make us work for that peak. :D

Naku

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
Played aroudn with demo for a bit. Super excited to see Em8er gettign closer to finishing. My feedback:

Movin on the ground feels nice, frame feels fast anbd agile, but still have soem weight to it - so good fit for medium.

Gliding is nice, but descent angle feels a bit too steep.

Jetpacks:
- I like that we have a lot of fuel.
- Ascend speed could be faster.
- I'd liek to see 'hover' button added -some easy way for us to remain in the air without movign around. Maybe by duble-tappign jumb button when in mid air?
- Jetpacks movement in the air feels too clumsz. Forward movement is ok-ish, but it feels like fram builds too much momentum, too fast. As a result, its hard to maneuver in the air.
- I think there should be more impact from falling from greater heights, or hitting ground with a lot of momentum at steep angles.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
A movement demo demo mode with an obstacle course would be a good thing
:cool: that would be perfect to get an idea of its capabilities especially when we compare it with the different types of omniframes.

ocket wings was something strange at ff-world.
I like strange things they were strangely cool

Also wondered if pets would be able to fly with you or are they only active on the ground perhaps there are specific flying pets hmm

Also hover pad + glider pad was better and really cool method of travel :}
Forgot you could do this, the music and fireworks made it that much better :D

I'd liek to see 'hover' button added -some easy way for us to remain in the air without movign around. Maybe by duble-tappign jumb button when in mid air?
That is a great idea, but i am not sure on double tapping jump sometimes if you were jumping over a few objects and then hover kicks in could be annoying. If it was assigned to Alt or which ever hotkey the player wanted this could be a handy addition.

Especially for keeping steady perhaps to take shots or even to maintain visual contact on vip presence when sin is down etc etc

Last edited:

Molasses

Lieutenant
Jul 27, 2016
Ground movement feels nice and fluid. glider flight is kinda lifeless but i assume that's just because its in development. I noticed that it was possible to toggle crouch but i wasn't really sure how to do it, also I like the frame's little white boy jump though it doesn't seem very useful.

also I think it would be better of the glider pads immediately put you into glider mode instead of the firefall 'pop up in the air THEN press space to glide' style

Jul 4, 2017
There isn't much to say about the movement right now,since there aren't any gameplay elements in,just exploration,so just for exploration purpose it's ... fine.

We need a few enemies,weapons and a couple abilities to have a better idea about jump jetting and all aspects of it(acceleration,turns,fuel,fuel capacity and so on) and movement in general.

There are a few things that I think it can be improved:
1. higher jumps,about 2-2.5x higher then it is now,sometimes you just need to jump over something and not jet over it,makes sense more in a combat situation.
2. get rid of glidepads,sometimes you just want to run and jump of a cliff and glide,stopping from what you are doing just to find a spot to place a gliderpad kill off the momentum
There can be jump pads that you can glide off of but not something that gliding is dependent of.
3. a hover mode would be a nice implementation
4. a dash would be a nice implementation.
Imagine hovering in a stationary position,double taping forward to get you to full momentum and then double taping backwards to stop your momentum and putting you back in stationary hover.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Ground movement feels nice and fluid. glider flight is kinda lifeless but i assume that's just because its in development. I noticed that it was possible to toggle crouch but i wasn't really sure how to do it, also I like the frame's little white boy jump though it doesn't seem very useful.

also I think it would be better of the glider pads immediately put you into glider mode instead of the firefall 'pop up in the air THEN press space to glide' style

Hey there!

These are in the #updates channel in Discord but here ya go!
Hidden under the spoiler for those who don't want to see them yet.
Available for those who would like to have them.

:cool:

Movement Demo Keybindings:
Don't forget you can press ESC to bring up the "Video & Gameplay" Tabbed Menus (see at the very top of screen) to adjust settings, and to exit the demo.

You can press Left Shift to sprint.
You can press space bar to jump.
You can press and hold space bar to activate jetpacks.
You can press 1 to get a jump pad; use left mouse click to place it.
You can press alt to have your character crouch.

Guard-001

SHIFTER
Ark Liege
Jul 29, 2016
Ah, finally got a chance to test out the demo. Everything that I've seen, i've enjoyed. Jump jets especially are just about in the sweet zone for me interms of speed to fuel capacity. However, I have noticed some things.

• Gliding animation seems like its a few degrees (15?) off center with respect to the direction of the movement. To better explain, you deploy the glider and the camera moves to place the player in the center of the screen. However, if you draw a line down the center of the player, rather than straight, it is crooked. The jet pack exhausts are the most telling sign.
  • Like others have noticed, the descent angle seems a bit extreme, but its workable.
  • As we know that vehicles are going to be a mainstay in the final product, sprinting does seem a bit fast when taking that into account. However, I enjoy the speed as we are using a powered exo skeleton. This will probably be addressed once we see the light and the heavy frames as I have a feeling that their movement values may be significantly different.
  • Crouching animation essentially has the left knee crush the pilot
Outside of these four items, I found the movement demo enjoyable and am really looking forward to the next demo.

Keep at it!

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Okay, got around to trying to today. Few things that come to mind that haven't been covered by others a bunch, or in as much detail at least.

1. First, skimming the ground. In Firefall, what I consider a VERY important part of being able to smoothly fly around and be mobile in areas, especially some of the slightly hilly/duny areas near the beaches, was the ability to simply skim across the ground with your jets on. If you are flying forward, and hit the ground, or you were losing altitude, started your jets and bump into the ground (as l long as it's not too hard) if you are still holding space, and still had energy, you'd keep your jets on and just start skimming over the ground keeping your rough momentum.
In the Em8er movement demo, with all its little dunes, if you fly towards one and bump into it, or the ground, even just lightly, you'll stop flying even if you still have energy and are holding space. This breaks your movement and flow. If you could super fast kick off and jump into the air and jet again with almost no lag it'd not be so bad, but right now it feels very clunky dropping into ground mode suddenly, and with its laggy moment and slow response to start jetting again.

2. Second, changing directions while jetting tends to make you fly upwards. If you run forward, jump and jet, you go forward mostly, up a bit, try to turn and almost all of the thrust goes into upwards thrust after the omniframe stops its current horizontal movement. Right now if you want to change direction, you pretty much have to let go of the jet key so you start falling a bit, and then hit it again while holding in the new direction you want, do this a couple times to try and "break" the previous inertia" and then start a given jump in the direction you want, even if just a little in that direction. Only if you started a jump in a given direction does is seem to let you move horizontally in that direction, all others mostly give you upwards thrust. Using sprint directional jetting you could quickly change directions in the air, but without gaining altitude. Some extra control for the player.
I feel that it might be a good idea to just split up the mostly upwards versus the horizontal movement into two categories. Jet sprinting, and normal jetting. Normal jetting is just space bar and has a lot of upwards movement applied, with some directional if also input. Shift/sprint plut space/jet input though could focus almost entirely on horizontal speed.
This could go nicely with ground skimming, since if you can smoothly slide over surfaces somewhat, then it could be a good way to get around more quickly at ground level, that is faster than normal sprint, but does cost energy to use.

Direction changes overall felt very slow, especially in the air, but also somewhat on the ground. When you try to stop moving, you take awhile to stop, or if you turn quickly you suddenly break your speed and slowly start up again. The animations also made it feel to "flowy" like it's just moving with the inertia and gradually turning. I recall you not wanting pacific rim style heavy mechs, but more fast and mobile ones like gundam, but I feel aiming for a bit of a mix is a good idea. By mix I mean relatively fast responsiveness (like gundams, so gameplay is fast), but to let units feel heavy in animations like with pacific rim style. The idea being a mech can change directions while running suddenly to the side, rather than slowly, but visually it does so with very forceful steps, like yes it has a LOT of weight behind it, but your suit is super strong and can plant one foot down and immediately throw itself in the other direction if needed, rather than needing to slow down and change direction over a couple steps or so.
Similarly landing from high altitude could have a nice drop with the waist, like if you slam into the ground, make you SLAM into the ground, with it showing weight, but the suit still absorbing it and moving into its next action, just with a lower pelvis and torso angle blended in for a short bit to the animations.
I understand this is largley stuff to work on later, animations and all, but having it in mind for the movement now, and then for the animations later could help it all come together nicely if yo decide to go in this direction.
Right now, the feeling is a bit more pacific rim realistic style, given that while not super huge, we are only in the ten or so feet tall category, rather than unrealistic or overpoweringly agile movements like you might find in some animes or such.

3. And while fairly minor, some other animation parts like having the wings start to shake or vibrate a bit as you freefall more quickly might help. In general, little things that help your movement feel fast, and like there's more energy involved can improve the feeling of awesomeness and bad assery as you charge around in your kick ass power suit doing insane stuff.

4. Keybinds list int he options or something, even if not able to be set, it'd be nice to have all keys visible. I found crouch on alt, but figured it'd be on ctrl. Also didn't find a key for rotating the camera but not my mech (wanted to look at it from the front during some motions, or even just standing).

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Writing while playing the demo. Crying newborn and 90 minutes past my bed time makes doing it in one run quite difficult.

Guess I'll start with sounds. I am digging the gyros and compression effects. A little overwhelming to all sound but this early I know that will be balanced out with more game sounds/music down the road. The sprint feels POWERFUL! I feel a visual surge of authority when going into sprint mode, charging forth into mayhem. On the 2x2 kilometers zones, sprint does feel a little faster for travel than needed. On a bigger zone, I think it is dead on for speed.

There was a comment on placement of glide pads on coral, possible but finicky for sure. Mine placed with spamming the drop button because it wouldn't give me the light up confirmation for a good spot.

The view angle during glide is askew from movement. Pretty harsh stall degree too. Would like to see it a little more leveled. Plus there is no way to recover from when the stall happens. Just taken straight out of glide. Where is the recovery?

*gliding is fuuuuuuuun!

I feel the basic jump is weak as well. Increasing height by doubling would be too much but a 75% is more in the correct vicinity.

With gear changes, I definitely want to see different styles and more amp'd up thruster affects.

Verticle thruster feels spot on with excelleration of lift off. Though the initial drop when letting go seeks like the omniframe falls to softly before picking up proper decent speeds.

I agree with the comments on sprint being interrupted too easily. But I am happy with the side thruster movement and change of direction. No way should an omniframe ninja hop left and right like an Unreal tournament. The thruster fuel is nice to have that much burn time for a base model. Looking forward to crafting and building on it from there.

To have this demo now. Running, thrusting, gliding....gotta love the team. Thank you from the crevasse gliding runs already made while scraping the paint off my wings. People feel it is delayed, I feel the work justifies it. Keep on, keepin' on!

Yoru

Firstclaimer
Jun 17, 2017
Liking the demo so far, just a tiny visual suggestion. Can you fire up thrusters while sprinting?
its one of the things anthem did good and that felt great, as if your whole metal mass got blasted forward into sprinting momentum from initial thruster burst, then keep getting pushed by the thrusters.

CosmicD

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Mar 3, 2017
Hasselt, Belgium
www.cosmicdreamer.be
Good to have the demo live and can catch some Em.8ER airtime!

Ground Movement:
1. I feel the base ground and sprint speed is good for the Med OF.
2. I feel the current left/right/forward/reverse responsiveness would suit the Hvy OF better v/s the Med OF.
3. I feel the OF idle animation needs to be different than breathing (no ideas yet but may add some as i ponder on it).

Jump Jets:
1. In air control/responsiveness feels more suited for the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF.
2. I feel the vertical lift should be stronger; basically add a little speed to the altitude gain.

Gliding:
1. I feel the OF should gain a bit more speed for diving.
2. I think the camera pulling back from the OF when gliding fast and getting closer to the OF when slowing down will add to the gliding experience. I know this was in FF but I don't know if that will make Em.8ER gliding problematic for the devs (i.e. too close to FF's implementation).
3. I feel left/right turning could use more of an OF tilt in those directions.
4. I feel the current landing animation of a few steps (momentum) would better suit the Hvy OF v/s the Med OF. Shorten it please.

Other than the above:
I feel the same as the above, and I'd like to add:

-
- I don't know if it's is by design because I hear that there'll be different sizes of omniframes... So i can understand that the heavier suits will feel a bit more sluggish, but he ground feels a bit slippery while and land-maneuvering on small (elevated) surfaces like mountain peaks and other objects. You generally seem to fall off easier than in firefall. In other surface contact situations, I feel that the frame should be able to "break to a halt" a bit more, perhaps this can be achieved by having small counter rockets that activate when you press reverse while landing ?

gliding:
- maybe the "stall mode" could be a littlebit longer so you have more space to do a rounded apex instead of having to immediately nosedive ? In addition, to it being represented by a sound, will it be visualized by a yellow to red coloring gague like in firefall, so you can see when you approach a stall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.