Melee combat

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Perhaps in relation to split weapons, make them limited in capacity

Ie. Sniper spear

Relatively easy to adjust to due to the nature of shape between the weapons - this gives niche to those wanting to use such weapons whilst not treading on the toes of those wanting to stay traditional with their weaponry
Year, some melee guns would be ok. I wonder how that would work in Ember's gear system though. Would there be 2 gun slots and a melee weapon slot? How would the gun's melee attacks differ significantly from weapons in the melee slot? Or would the melee gun go in the melee slot? Maybe there could just be 3 weapon slots where people can choose any combination of weapons as long as a weight limit isn't exceeded.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I don't think ember should focus to much with melee combat, look kinda broken when one run around with a hammer or something. Keep in mind, the bloody rabbits can rip and tear your frame with ease.
Melee should more be like an emergency when enemy get to close, so to slash/knock them back. Those bloody rabbits definitely gonna have an ability to pull multiple player into close range with those chains, thus forcing us into melee combat.

On the other hand, shouldn't restrict us from "high risk, high reward" playstyle.

Would like to play that style again, like i did in mass effect. Activating omni armor and shield, go rampage on the enemy. RUN UPFRONT AND SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE WITH SHOTGUNS AND RIFLE BUTT THEM TO SH*T before my armor and shield are depleted.

Phyrak

Death Reaper
Sep 11, 2016
I don't think ember should focus to much with melee combat, look kinda broken when one run around with a hammer or something. Keep in mind, the bloody rabbits can rip and tear your frame with ease.
Melee should more be like an emergency when enemy get to close, so to slash/knock them back. Those bloody rabbits definitely gonna have an ability to pull multiple player into close range with those chains, thus forcing us into melee combat.

On the other hand, shouldn't restrict us from "high risk, high reward" playstyle.

Would like to play that style again, like i did in mass effect. Activating omni armor and shield, go rampage on the enemy. RUN UPFRONT AND SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE WITH SHOTGUNS AND RIFLE BUTT THEM TO SH*T before my armor and shield are depleted.
The difference in playstyles

Melee glass cannon v melee tank

Glass cannon is max damage but if caught off guard - dead

Tank would be minor damage sided with cc and buffs to surrounding allies as per generic mmo tank

Both have potential to be under powered and over powered

They both shine in specific areas and lack in others

Phyrak

Death Reaper
Sep 11, 2016
Year, some melee guns would be ok. I wonder how that would work in Ember's gear system though. Would there be 2 gun slots and a melee weapon slot? How would the gun's melee attacks differ significantly from weapons in the melee slot? Or would the melee gun go in the melee slot? Maybe there could just be 3 weapon slots where people can choose any combination of weapons as long as a weight limit isn't exceeded.
Imo, start with 1 ranged and 1 melee
Let that be the initial balance test/pass

Then add and expand from there
It's easier to balance from small then many and large

Though, I do like the weight idea

Perhaps weapons based on the weight class of the omni frame?

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
The difference in playstyles

Melee glass cannon v melee tank

Glass cannon is max damage but if caught off guard - dead

Tank would be minor damage sided with cc and buffs to surrounding allies as per generic mmo tank

Both have potential to be under powered and over powered

They both shine in specific areas and lack in others
Lol alone "glass cannon" and "tank" are 2 opposite world

Aug 14, 2016
In some games (like Warframe) gunswords are melee weapons, but in other games they are listed as ranged weapons. What they are listed as goes by what is the basic attack. If the basic attack is to fire the gun than it goes in the ranged weapon slot, but if the basic attack is a swing or thrust of some kind than it goes into the melee weapon slot. The alt-fire is what lets you used the other part of the weapon.

Personally, I like to use gunswords as melee weapons first and guns second. That way I can do things like sneak up on or charge at enemies to stab them and fire the gun while the blade is still inside them. Or slash at them and while I'm slashing fire the gun at the same time. Think about it. How good it'll feel to run up to an alien and stab them in the neck with your sword then pull the trigger to blow their head off.

Last edited:

Phyrak

Death Reaper
Sep 11, 2016
In some games (like Warframe) gunswords are melee weapons, but in other games they are listed as ranged weapons. What they are listed as goes by what is the basic attack. If the basic attack is to fire the gun than it goes in the ranged weapon slot, but if the basic attack is a swing or thrust of some kind than it goes into the melee weapon slot. The alt-fire is what lets you used the other part of the weapon.

Personally, I like to use gunswords as melee weapons first and guns second. That way I can do things like sneak up on or charge at enemies to stab them and fire the gun while the blade is still inside them. Or slash at them and while I'm slashing fire the gun at the same time. Think about it. How good it'll feel to run up to an alien and stab them in the neck with your sword then pull the trigger to blow their head off.
Dr. Zed's recommendation for cranial surgery as above

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
There was never anything special about melee in Firefall though. The most 1.6 did with melee was make melee bound to equipment rather than perks and some melee weapons had special attacks like blade dash.
I liked it. it looked pretty realistic punching someone with your plasma gun.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I liked it. it looked pretty realistic punching someone with your plasma gun.
You could still do that in 1.6, you just needed the powered servos melee weapon or whatever it was called. I wouldn't say the Engineer's punch attack was particularly realistic considering our pilots were supposed to be expert fighters. A roundhouse punch like that one is too predictable and easy to block or redirect.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks!

@Ronyn

Mmm....just had an urge to erase the weapon's gun-part, barrel...etc. and turn the sword into a full great-sword. Like a large gladius or something.
Sounds quite interesting. I'd like to see that.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
I only reiterate that any melee we have needs to be snappy. As long as we don't see the sluggish, cooldown-timed, over-exaggerated nonsense that was Firefall melee, we're off to a good start. Swings, stabs, punches, smashes, I'm all for having deep melee options, as long as they're not swinging through molasses.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
One melee weapon I would like see would basically be a shield with a pile bunker imbedded into it. For those extra powerful punches.