DevTracker

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
*raises paw* Uh...not to sound stupid but just to clarify, can I assume that the fundraiser will last a number of days right? And are whatever funding tiers you provide going to be limited? I ask just in case for some reason I (or others like me) might not be able to jump on the wagon on Monday and there might end up not being any open options for the financial range that I would prefer to choose.

Also one other question, will any tiers that provide a physical item (poster etc), assuming there are any, also have a digital only option for those of us who would prefer as much of the donation as possible be put directly into game creation?
We're going to raise the limit on packages to try to accommodate the demand. Just worried they won't feel special enough if we add too many slots.

Yes, you can request a digital version if you'd like!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
As we begin our next funding round for Milestone II - Building THMPR, we're going to be moving away from the term MMO in describing Ember.

First of all, its a liability. Whenever the term MMO is mentioned, gamers shut down and stop listening. They assume the WoW-grind and all the stale gameplay they've seen hashed out over and over. It's hard to get them to read anything further once those three letters are uttered, esp in crowdfunding.

Second, Ember really IS different. It's a simulated, dynamic world played as a shooter in a massive wargame against an AI entity.

Third, many games, esp. genres like survival games (ARK), feature hundreds of players online and do not bill themselves as MMOs. They do very well, and they did not need to bill themselves as "massively muliplayer"

So, expect that we will be changing the word MMO in our previous blog posts and future ones as we pivot to avoid the "MMO pitfall" and focus on creating a online multiplayer wargame. Please forgive us for the retroactive editing of former posts and marketing as we focus our message.