What firefall did wrong: voice acting

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I think he meant the kidding part about the text. The accents were indeed horrendous, but I don't think switching to pure text is a good idea in a sandbox, mmo, pvp sort of game either.

Hiring quality VA's would be the ideal. And since Ember is set far in the future, honestly they can make up any kind of accent or have none at all since it'll be planetary based instead of real-Earth based (think Star Trek!).
I would prefer having the money spend on more programmers to have core mechanics working perfectly before anything else

Jul 27, 2016
US
Don't do voice acting until the far future when the game is actually developed. Use quality audio prompts that are thematically tuned.

One thing I know Tera did that I found good enough was having all the weird asian looking characters just make a bunch of nonsensical noise to make it seem like they were at least saying something.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Scarlett, Wiley, and Zed had good voice acting.

I like the Devilhawks sniper's voice, I just cannot remember her name at the moment. She was the only devilhawk to survive Blackwater Anomaly.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I guess the only other thing I would say is use consistency. If you're going to have professional voice work done, go all out. Have it done everywhere. Not just half here, half there, text here, no voice here, etc. make it consistent.

The hard part is programming for trigger mechanics in an MMO though. Since a lot of content is usually repeatable, same goes for that audio. Plus when you're grouped, then you need to add skipping features for the party who've already watched and heard that cutscene before, etc.

No easy task.

Jul 27, 2016
Scarlett, Wiley, and Zed had good voice acting.

I like the Devilhawks sniper's voice, I just cannot remember her name at the moment. She was the only devilhawk to survive Blackwater Anomaly.
Fade? I'm not sure, I could never remember any of the characters with the limited storyline quests.

Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I'm totally against the op... I want as many voice acting as can be. I play online games since the beginning, I'm sick and tired of text walls... I mean give my eyes a break please. English is not my native language, I've learned it by watching cartoons and then movies subtitled in my native language and then reading it in games starting with the old NES consoles, then came PS/2 console and then PC (on it ever since).
So it would actually be very educational for the young people to learn an international language. The best way to do it is to have both voice and writing (with an option to turn it off, for sistem resources economy) displayed. I'm thinking games with cutscenes... like GW2, BnS, etc.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Imagine Blackwater, you've just collected the phat loot and are about to make your escape when suddenly Graves begins his monologue. Chosen are swarming around you all firing their weapons when a giant text box appears, covering most of the screen. Due to recent cutbacks and the fact that this is the 45th time you've run Blackwater Graves decided to send you a text message instead.

Shuriko

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Norrkoping Sweden
Voice acting is a luxery in games, (im lazy to read large chunks of text:oops:). But I have to say that I didnt think it was broken in the Firefall. I honestly hope we get Voice acting in Ember aswell

Jul 27, 2016
Imagine Blackwater, you've just collected the phat loot and are about to make your escape when suddenly Graves begins his monologue. Chosen are swarming around you all firing their weapons when a giant text box appears, covering most of the screen. Due to recent cutbacks and the fact that this is the 45th time you've run Blackwater Graves decided to send you a text message instead.
Even if most of the game is text based, things like that.. Those need to be voiceovers. I still have half of that Graves-rant memorized.

Jul 27, 2016
As a side note, I've gotten attached to the callouts my character makes when fighting or activating abilities.
The "rooarrrr!" and "killed em!" stuff like that.