What firefall did wrong: voice acting

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
As a Brazilian there was nothing more cringy than hear the butchered portuguese words coming from the character's mouths, while english lines felt souless and boring

Voice Actors are a risky investiment, and not something i would like to see my money going towards to, if the game will have any sort of storyline going on (please don't do that, i hate the "EVERYONE IS THE PROTAGONIST" thing in most mmos) use text only.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Constantly hearing about a lost thumper? It was fine the first hundred hours or so but you know it just gets old after that.
Being told there was an ARES mission near me when in fact it was not near me unless they meant in the same region of the map but likely completed long before I reach the damn thing?

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Constantly hearing about a lost thumper? It was fine the first hundred hours or so but you know it just gets old after that.
Being told there was an ARES mission near me when in fact it was not near me unless they meant in the same region of the map but likely completed long before I reach the damn thing?
That had nothing to do with the voice actor and everything to do with trigger mechanics. Text doesn't work very well IMO when the game does not pause around you. More than one game I have watched my character die because it got stuck in some sort of NPC text dump. Sure you can auto bump out of it but I think it is much better to use discrete bits of voice chat, particularly quest intro's and such.

Jul 27, 2016
Tennessee
I think he meant the kidding part about the text. The accents were indeed horrendous, but I don't think switching to pure text is a good idea in a sandbox, mmo, pvp sort of game either.

Hiring quality VA's would be the ideal. And since Ember is set far in the future, honestly they can make up any kind of accent or have none at all since it'll be planetary based instead of real-Earth based (think Star Trek!).

Jul 27, 2016
I do like Laura Post's work, and some of the NPCs in the story were kinda fun to hear. The character voices, they weren't very interesting and didn't really feel like they gave a lot of personality to the characters. It takes good writing as well as execution for the players.

There's also the fact that I think some of the NPCs still had placeholder voices done by R5 staff? One of them that I'm remembering at least. That was kinda silly.

Jul 27, 2016
Voice acting is fine, but I'd like to see something where we can pick our ARES designations, like a username. Warframe did something like this-you were referred to as a species or as the "Operator" by NPCs, but bosses would taunt your username via pure text. Something like that could be implemented.

God

Jul 27, 2016
@OhNoDomo! : Oh, you will need to call Jesus for that. He doesen't talk to me (or visit me) ever since I, the LORD, crucified him and he blocked me on all the social media. So... Yeah, good luck with that :).

Last edited:

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I'd like to think God was more like The Dude in Big Lebowski. That or I am god but in order to continue the facade I have imagined that somebody else is god so that I don't get all overly weird on you imagined people.