Weapon Idea and Sketch: The Mag-Harpoon, a Mobility weapon for Snipers/Archers

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
In firefall, it was hard to get that awesome feeling of verticality as a sniper(unless you make the case that the tiger claw was a sniper). With this weapon idea, I'd hope to grant that sense of movement while still maintaining essential aspects of sniper gameplay.
IMG_1822.JPG
This is the Mag-Harpoon

It is a bow/arrow type of weapon, in the sense that it fires projectiles after charging the gun up for a duration. The arrows are what make the weapon distinct. Each arrow sticks to terrain/surfaces and broadcasts a light to indicate it's position. When the player uses his/her alt-fire, they will magnetically "grapple" towards a targeted and in-range arrow. If the tether is maintained until the player reaches the arrow, the player will perch upon the arrow.

In terms of functionality, this weapon suits many gameplay styles. For a long range sniper, the player can traverse gaps, reposition easily, and create a ledges at any desired location. For non-snipers, if multiple arrows are fired beforehand, the pilot can essentially be Spider-Man as arrows come into range and can be swung from. For close-range combatants, the arrows deal high burst damage and allow the player to quickly close the distance between moving targets and the player.

Last edited:

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
Would make an awesome counter against fast enemies that dodge alot(if it can attach to moving entities), however situational

It reminds me a bit of Kinessa' sniper rifle from Paladins. The way it extends to have a longer barrel. And it looks like it uses mag-accelerated ammo, like a railgun.

I'm not sure if they could work the swinging from anchor point to anchor point mechanic in. Grappling to a single location, as if it was essentially a teleport beacon, may be doable. Using as a stepladder to recharge jet fuel on and move higher up would be a neat use. Though, it wouldn't really suit an onmi-frame. Shouldn't really need grappling with a proper, elaborate booster/dashing system. Zip-lining or swinging with a mechanized suit would look awkward by default.

Shooting it near a ground-based enemy, or attaching it to a surface from where it could affect even an airborne target could slow them down or even keep them in place. Again, I'm reminded of Kinessa, and her mines. And if the enemy is smart(er) they could learn to destroy the anchor and free themselves, but as long as they're occupied with it, they're not paying attention to the player, which could be their fatal mistake.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I love this, except for the very last point. I really don't see how the physics would work on a giant Mek being able to balanced on a thin rod, doubly since unless fired perfectly horizontal the rod would be pointed at a downward angle when anchored to an overhead object. I really do like the design though, @NightStroke would it be OK if my next drawing project was a digital version of this?

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I love this, except for the very last point. I really don't see how the physics would work on a giant Mek being able to balanced on a thin rod, doubly since unless fired perfectly horizontal the rod would be pointed at a downward angle when anchored to an overhead object. I really do like the design though, @NightStroke would it be OK if my next drawing project was a digital version of this?
Yeah go right ahead! I'm bad at translating my sketches into digital art so be my guest. Just don't forget to give creds.

But yeah, a large mech balancing on a thin rod didn't make sense to me and I had trouble justifying it. All I know is that I wanted the ability to make impromptu sniping perches lol. I had the idea that when the omnimek lands on the rod, an energy platform expands laterally out of both sides of the rod.

Also, if you guys are concerned about the notion of grappling with a mech, the harpoon could always act like a teleport beacon instead. You fire it, it sticks, and (to make it balanced), you charge the alt-fire while targeting a harpoon and once its full, you teleport.(maybe to make it more interesting, the range the teleport pull you towards the beacon relies on how much the weapon was charged before the alt-fire was released).

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I was actually thinking that the harpoon could act like a piton, rather than balancing on top of it you could hang from it instead?

At any rate, tell me what you think so far. I tried to keep the translation as close as possible, though I may have thrown in a couple tweaks, it was a little hard to tell what was going on along the underside. One thing I might ask is how you envisioned the reloading taking place. The design might need to be altered accordingly.

MagHarpoon.png

(eventually I'll have a top and front view)

Jul 27, 2016
Acting like a piton would be a good idea, especially if you wanna hang from a ceiling or other oddly-angled surface. Probably better than my idea of being planted feet-first after teleporting and getting your view reoriented accordingly. Might cause motion sickness in 1st-person.

Adding a cloaking effect right after finalizing your positioning would make it a must-have for sniper types.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Yeah go right ahead! I'm bad at translating my sketches into digital art so be my guest. Just don't forget to give creds.

But yeah, a large mech balancing on a thin rod didn't make sense to me and I had trouble justifying it. All I know is that I wanted the ability to make impromptu sniping perches lol. I had the idea that when the omnimek lands on the rod, an energy platform expands laterally out of both sides of the rod.

Also, if you guys are concerned about the notion of grappling with a mech, the harpoon could always act like a teleport beacon instead. You fire it, it sticks, and (to make it balanced), you charge the alt-fire while targeting a harpoon and once its full, you teleport.(maybe to make it more interesting, the range the teleport pull you towards the beacon relies on how much the weapon was charged before the alt-fire was released).
then ask for and ability that provides drones that function as impromptu perches...
:D

u may even add various "programs/mods" to said drones to provide:
-stealth mode, cover, small auto turret, enhanced magnification, aiming stabilizers.....etc. for their duration

i like your idea, make no mistake, but (always a but in somewhere :D) what i don't like in general is weapons providing "so much options" 'cause it end up beeing "Recluse alt fire spam"...mostly...abilities that canbe modded are more versatile and "fair, so to speak"
:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY1!!!! :D :D :D

Last edited: