Video Update 12 - We have base interiors! New Lore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo! Loving the peek at the latest graphics. Also enjoying the lore drops, though I do have an issue with what I heard this round. For a space faring civilization, planets are a horrible way to gather resources. Mining at the bottom of a gravity well is energy intensive compared to mining asteroids and other small bodies in space that have almost no gravity and no teraforming requirements. This is going to be true for pretty much any level of tech.

Just a thought, but what if rather than being miners who teraform a planet to get at its resources, it should be the other way around. the Gatestriders should be planet teraformers first and foremost, only mining resources needed to complete the job locally. When you consider how few planets there would be close to earth that would themselves be earth like (read none). It would make a lot of sense for a group of people to become teraformers to open up new worlds for colonization. A group of Lewis and Clark's rather than a mining corporation.

Maybe that's what you already intended, but from this video it sounded like the Gatestriders were nothing more than futuristic strip miners with fancy tools to do the job. (Perhaps some stripper miners in assless chaps though...)
Agreed, I don't think the Gatestriders should be "futuristic strip miners with fancy tools to do the job." I think when Terraforming they would only be mining what they absolutely need from nearby asteroids, and some of the planet, but didn't mine everything as they wanted to make sure they didn't acidently come up short on resources nowhere near civilization. ie Promoting both efficiency and "waste not want not", without being cold and unfeeling. "Efficient and human."

Sure, they bring entire shiploads of equipment, both assembled and dissembled as well as raw materials, but not so much that they had heaps of cargo ships just sitting there afterward, nor would they be wasting fuel transporting equipment when there is plenty of resource rich asteroids to build such, but without planning to mine it all. Their terra-forming ships would be designed to be (A easy and fast to both construct and deconstruct compared to other types of ships and (B disassemble into more useful parts with as little to no wasted components or naturally hazardous parts.

They factored in one or two thirds of what asteroids had with a skeptical estimate, and then used the planet mostly as a last resort. Not to mention the Gatestriders had tech (perhaps even engineered it themselves) that allowed them to easily and cheaply "drop pod" large amounts of various materials and/or equipment onto planets without damaging the package or the impact zone, even in inhospitable atmospheres or high gravity.

Meower

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
More impressive than I would have thought up front! Y'all are doing some awesome work; I noted a YouTube comment that was on point: by using tools to generate assets and everything else, you guys are really shaving off tons of development time and also adding for tons of future content.

Thanks for the update! Was totally worth the wait. Can't wait to see what's in store next... That salute got me going.

Obligatory mecha pics inc:

Jul 26, 2016
Woohoo! Loving the peek at the latest graphics. Also enjoying the lore drops, though I do have an issue with what I heard this round. For a space faring civilization, planets are a horrible way to gather resources. Mining at the bottom of a gravity well is energy intensive compared to mining asteroids and other small bodies in space that have almost no gravity and no teraforming requirements. This is going to be true for pretty much any level of tech.

Just a thought, but what if rather than being miners who teraform a planet to get at its resources, it should be the other way around. the Gatestriders should be planet teraformers first and foremost, only mining resources needed to complete the job locally. When you consider how few planets there would be close to earth that would themselves be earth like (read none). It would make a lot of sense for a group of people to become teraformers to open up new worlds for colonization. A group of Lewis and Clark's rather than a mining corporation.

Maybe that's what you already intended, but from this video it sounded like the Gatestriders were nothing more than futuristic strip miners with fancy tools to do the job. (Perhaps some stripper miners in assless chaps though...)
You do realize there are more than one way to skin a cat right?

Sure there are corporations/business/people that think in the long term and what their descendants will have to deal with when making their decisions but there is also plenty of the other sort that thinks of the bottom line in the present without thinking of future generations because simply it doesn't matter in their short sighted mindset.

Last edited:

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Be good to also come up against pirate groups as well as the Kaiju, will make missions more interesting.
Oh, you just reminded me of death squads, never seen another game with something like death squads before. Original Grummz Content is the best content. Will be interesting to see what's in store for EM-8ER :)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
They should also bring back the Wandering Acolyte - I think that was what he was called, only came up against him a few times in early beta days and ended up being pwnd like a noob. Awesome!
was it the one that asked for help but then backstabbed or am i getting mixed up with something else hmm

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
was it the one that asked for help but then backstabbed or am i getting mixed up with something else hmm
From what I can remember he was a dynamic event that soaked everything you threw at him like a true bullet sponge, all the time spawning swarms of beasties to make your life difficult. You needed quite a few bods to take him down.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
From what I can remember he was a dynamic event that soaked everything you threw at him like a true bullet sponge, all the time spawning swarms of beasties to make your life difficult. You needed quite a few bods to take him down.
ooh dont know this one sounds very dangerous :O

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Late reply but late is better than never.

Cool update, thanks Mark.

I agree somewhat with EK about that the gate striders should be more terra formars than miners. With a twist though, since they are humans after all, they are very greedy.

As part of opening up new areas for Earth's expansion (the terraforming) the workers manage to also find vast deposits of highly valuable resources on some of the planets, much larger than any asteroid flying uncontrollably through the reaches space could offer and begin to spur off and become miners defending their new claims from indigenous species, including Kaiju, and putting down the groundwork required to begin new colonies and outposts. (Provides opportunity for the crafting route folks.) The more aggressive gatestriders continue on, possibly seeking larger deposits before settling down to claim their own fortune, or maybe just filling their own needs to push further go farther, contribute more and provide the futures possible for mankind.

The interiors
Yes, it was nice to start seeing some interiors, they were not quit as .. open.. as I would have expected. I totally agree on the "too busy" note for the test interior. Made my eyes hurt. Again noting the statement that the interior appearance will definitely change, too many "straight" lines, that is so OLD SCHOOL, we don't really do straight lines on exteriors/facial, we cover everything with sleek smooth curves and such and only add in the straight lines for accents.

In all, THANKS, keep up the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.