Skin pricing / rarity

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Hay guys, just want to discuss the skins rarity and their pricing (read entire post before replying)

With prices being mentioned on chief chats/twitch etc and also taking into account of the latest skin rarity update.
(subscription aside) the base price to buy the Abby, Pex and Freya/Wrenga for skins are too high, let me explain.

I'll start simple with the price discrepancy, (assuming each rarity will have a price differentiation)

Abby and Pex - $35
Epic Rarity
Peerless Grade
Available only twice per year.

Freya & Wrenga is a Legendary skin/mount - $35
Legendary Rarity
Peerless Grade
Available only once per year.

as we can see, Abby/Pex are available 2 times a year, lower rarity and is only a player skin. this being said Abbey and Pex should cost less based on this. this imo ties into the price scaling:

Price scaling:

((Noting you can upgrade your skins ingame with resources) however, these skins are already at peerless grade):
Skin grades (Upgradeable at Any Time)
You can upgrade your outfit from Core to Artisan, and finally to Peerless at any time, even if the skin is not currently in rotation/availability in game or store. If you already own the skin, you can upgrade it. Upgrade your outfit by mining the resources you need for an upgrade kit, or by purchasing an upgrade directly from the store. Core Grade are planned to retail for $9.95 if purchased instead of earned in game. Artisan Grade is priced at $19.95, and Peerless at $34.95.

With the example of Freya & Wreng as a Peerless grade,
safe to assume this will be the highest price for a skin ($35). (not including unique as it also depends on its rarity)

but $35 is high imo, especially for epic epic quality. it costs that much to buy the game itself.

One game that does price scaling well is League of Legends, obviously they have all of the money in the world and they can have overall lower prices. however, this is how they scale prices for example

Timeworn/Clasic - 520 RP ($4)
Budget/Delux - 750 RP ($5.75)
Standard - 975 RP ($7.50)
Epic - 1350 RP ($10)
Legendary - 1820 RP ($14)
ultimate - 3250 RP ($25)

Not saying we should adopt the price listings from that game, but how the prices scale with its rarity goes well for that game. They pump lots of skins out and it doesn't feel like it hurts your wallet when you buy them or feel the need to use it because it cost you x amount of money. I mean, have all skins already, but why does this effect me? well, when current or new players look at the game, and they see prices for skins, and see $35 for a skin negatively impacts people's will to want to look into/play the game and this ultimately effects all of us.

When kickstarter comes around the game will be analyzed on the spot and be know for being an x game with x reputation, and that x reputation i'd hate to be know for expensive skins.
I may be over-reacting, but that's how I look at games, I just want the best for the game. :cool:

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm pretty sure Grummz isn't pulling these numbers out of thin air, and he did mention that the pricing is similar to how much other games charge for their cosmetics.

EM-8ER is different in that while in other games you'll pay about $25-$35 for the highest end skin you're stuck with what that skins has i.e. the colors and patterns. Remember Rarity has no impact on pricing just how often it's obtainable. the grade determines how much customization you have. and peerless allows for a lot of customization Here are some examples:
Artisan_Variants.jpg
Peerless_Variants.jpg

If you so happen to like the base look of the skin you don't have to get the peerless grade.

Also the skins you showed are 34.95 is because all subscription skins are at peerless, maybe they should offer returning skins in lower grades since upgrading later on will cost the same in total

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
the skins you showed are 34.95 is because all subscription skins are at peerless, maybe they should offer the returning skins in lower grades since upgrading later on will cost the same in total
Ah i see so subscription skins are at peerless grade giving the player most customization!

The idea to get the skin in lower grade and then upgrading later is good idea because if you did not have enough money you could still obtain the skin and customize it to whatever grade you already have and upgrade at a later time.

peerless.jpg
Much more choice.

Rarity has no impact on pricing just how often it's obtainable.
grade determines how much customization you have.
I think this needs to be put into the website so that it is simple to understand and made clear for when the player decides what to do.

Rarity = How often it is obtainable
rarity.jpg

Grade = How much customization

The Core Grade is the basic skin, earn-able in game or via the online shop

This makes me wonder how much would that be in the shop compared to artisan and peerless?

Also another note i did see examples of the variation of artisan and peerless would be nice to see variation of core even if it is just a colour change so we can have a better idea.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
If the core version of every skin is craftable and/or earnable via special events and/or achievements, then the real cash cost would be $10 or $25. Also, store discount sales weren't mentioned but if there will be skins on discount percentages, then the prices above will be less. For example, 50% off would be $5, $10, & $17.50.

Personally I'm a bit confused on how the new subscription model will work going forward post KS, beyond a price increase to it for those not grandfathered in. I believe that confusion to be based on how it would work hasn't been mentioned yet soooo...

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I'm against the ability to directly purchase skins at the moment. It doesn't make sense from a consumer standpoint. Why would anyone purchase a skin for a pre-pre-Alpha game, pre-Kickstarter, with no 3D model, no real understanding of how that model will be customisable (which areas, which accessories, outside of what was shown for the geesuit)... I don't get it. Hell, you're buying skins that will be unvaulted again BEFORE the game even comes out, maybe even before the Kickstarter. It's madness.

In contrast, the Monthly Patron is $7.95, and while you do get a skin each month with just an image to show for it, it pays for the servers, has put the Light frame in the KS mock-up and is getting closer to putting the heavy frame in there too. Small price to pay, and it actually has visible results.

As for the costs, Skube is correct that it is only the GRADING not the RARITY of the skins that increases the prices. The justification I see is that you're not just paying to use the skin, you're paying to customise it. If you want to create your own unique style, wear bits of different skins, you can. But, to make it look good, you pay to change the shaders, materials, colours, accessories, etc.. I think that pricing model is better than either charging on rarity or a combination of the two, if only because people won't buy a skin because it is rare, it's because of what they can do with the skin and how they can get it to look with the options provided.

$35 is pretty steep for some of the skins. The Vulpeculi pet is not worth $35 unless you're letting me change all the colours, put a tiki scarf on the thing and give it a name. Even then, I don't like in-game pets, so I wouldn't want it. At most, it's artisan-grade. Freya and Wrenga is worth $35, because you're getting a pilot skin AND a mount, all customisable. They aren't comparable.

Personally I'm a bit confused on how the new subscription model will work going forward post KS, beyond a price increase to it for those not grandfathered in
It depends what the program will provide and if skin trading will be in the game. It'll be interesting to see.

Being said, I'm glad they're working on the skin system at the moment in preparation for the Social Hub demo. But if they're going to start selling the skins for a "limited time only", then they better show off what people are actually getting.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Why would anyone purchase a skin for a pre-pre-Alpha game, pre-Kickstarter, with no 3D model, no real understanding of how that model will be customisable (which areas, which accessories, outside of what was shown for the geesuit).
Because when this actually happens to customize the models we are going to be thinking why didn't we take the opportunity to get those nice skins earlier.

Its happened in warframe especially the skin of one of the ships and they were never released because it came with a founder pack i think.

looked cool i thought, and have not seen nothing like that on the other ship skins that are out yet.

They did show it in the game so we could see, i understand that point although this is taking time because of the small team they have.

Imagine if the team grows in numbers and all gets to work mostly full time and then more things can start to develop at a faster rate.

The Vulpeculi pet is not worth $35 unless you're letting me change all the colours, put a tiki scarf on the thing and give it a name.
I'd certainly like to know and see what customization we can do for pets, vehicles, buildings,pilots and meks and what are the differences in the customization between those.

To be able to see how it works and what can be done i am sure they are figuring out how to make the customization work as good as can be behind the scenes.

Freya and Wrenga is worth $35, because you're getting a pilot skin AND a mount, all customisable.
That does sound like a good deal its like one of those offers buy any 2 for 1
The pricing should be made more clear including the rarity and grade and also note that even at the high price as wyntyr mentioned discount sales weren't added so perhaps there may be special days, events etc that prices could be reduced to a certain % making it more better value and to keep alert for those.

I don't like in-game pets,
Is that just pets in general because i did say that in warframe but there are exceptions depending on the style of the pet and what it could do. My fave pet is one of the robotic pets that scans so it scans away while i just do my stealing and sneaking :D

Otherwise ok guess pets are for some and not for others.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Because when this actually happens to customize the models we are going to be thinking why didn't we take the opportunity to get those nice skins earlier.
My point is that the skins will probably be out again by the time the game is actually out. If these skins were available in the social hub demo or the playable mock-up, you could justify it, even though the game isn't fully funded. At least you'd be able to see the skins in game, have a rough idea of how the customisation is going to work. You still get to experience part of the product you've purchased.

Just really think it would have been better to do the models then sell at intended price. Better for the consumer, more marketable for Em8er.

I'd certainly like to know and see what customization we can do for pets, vehicles, buildings,pilots and meks and what are the differences in the customization between those.
You know what they say: "That'd be a great question for the next Chief Chat!"
Grummz talks a big game with customisation, so I think we're in for a treat.

That does sound like a good deal its like one of those offers buy any 2 for 1
The pricing should be made more clear including the rarity and grade and also note that even at the high price as wyntyr mentioned discount sales weren't added so perhaps there may be special days, events etc that prices could be reduced to a certain % making it more better value and to keep alert for those.
Most games would have sold Freya and Wrenga separately, or as a higher priced bundle. I suspect that the higher rarity skins, despite being the same price as lower rarity skins (assuming both are the same grade), will be more intricate than lower rarity by design, so they are more marketable. With discounts, could see that happening on lower rarities and during events... Though, surprised there is no Abby + Pex discount if you get both. Maybe in the future.

The General Store and my.em8er inventory is being worked on at the moment it seems. Perhaps we'll see more clarification soon.

Is that just pets in general because i did say that in warframe but there are exceptions depending on the style of the pet and what it could do. My fave pet is one of the robotic pets that scans so it scans away while i just do my stealing and sneaking :D
The pets in Warframe had a purpose. It looks like pets in Em8er will be purely cosmetic at this point.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
My point is that the skins will probably be out again by the time the game is actually out. If these skins were available in the social hub demo or the playable mock-up, you could justify it, even though the game isn't fully funded. At least you'd be able to see the skins in game, have a rough idea of how the customisation is going to work. You still get to experience part of the product you've purchased.
Ah that is a very good point would be great to actually see it ingame!

The Skin images we see as the artwork look really good too and just something to point out

1627296555598.jpeg
As an example in this image we see an art version on 1 side and the 3D version on the other side.
Some people might get confused and think because of firefall our skins may have cell shaded style and could make an assumption the art version is a skin grade variation.

If they could add something stating this is the bunny suit skin artwork and the other image could say this is the Ingame Bunny skin suit.

With regards to the hair it is not the same as the art version and would of thought it would be!
I am sure they will have various hair styles, and the art version hair style should be an option to have that on the 3D version too so that it is represented as close to the original art as possible.

Question came to mind so how long does it usually take to get a skin image turned to 3D?

Since there are a number of skin images would they have time to get the skins into the game for the social hub demo?

Also if that is not the case are most of the skins saved for the big reveal of the kickstarter?

The General Store and my.em8er inventory is being worked on at the moment it seems. Perhaps we'll see more clarification soon.
Oh goody look forward to see that :cool: