RTS Planetary Command Element

Jul 26, 2016
Just curious about thoughts on this one.

Would it interest anyone if during the campaign to secure territory there was a system in place that worked like top down RTS game where assets could be assigned by Guilds/Armies more strategically in the open world. Instead of commanding only local encampments we could relocate assets to points more heavily under assault than those not. Alligences between Guilds/Armies allowing donations of troops or resources. (PVP possibilities) creating a different landscape for the Commander types.

Now it wouldn't be total real time. Perhaps some time would be needed to rally the troops and dispatch plus transfer time over the world in real time. Leaving the reinforcements open to ambush and other wandering encounters or other troubles.

Random thought of my boring day. :)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Just curious about thoughts on this one.

Would it interest anyone if during the campaign to secure territory there was a system in place that worked like top down RTS game where assets could be assigned by Guilds/Armies more strategically in the open world. Instead of commanding only local encampments we could relocate assets to points more heavily under assault than those not. Alligences between Guilds/Armies allowing donations of troops or resources. (PVP possibilities) creating a different landscape for the Commander types.

Now it wouldn't be total real time. Perhaps some time would be needed to rally the troops and dispatch plus transfer time over the world in real time. Leaving the reinforcements open to ambush and other wandering encounters or other troubles.

Random thought of my boring day. :)
You are creepily beginning to turn Ember into my own pet "MMO" I designed about 10 years ago...well cept that one was pure PvP, but same concepts with a full command hierarchy and game play ranging from pure FPS (soldiers) to RTS (generals/admirals etc) utilizing a worldwide map sectioned off into a giant grid of maps which linked together and played out somewhat like a game of risk only with actual human players instead of armies.

Jul 26, 2016
You are creepily beginning to turn Ember into my own pet "MMO" I designed about 10 years ago...well cept that one was pure PvP, but same concepts with a full command hierarchy and game play ranging from pure FPS (soldiers) to RTS (generals/admirals etc) utilizing a worldwide map sectioned off into a giant grid of maps which linked together and played out somewhat like a game of risk only with actual human players instead of armies.
Precisely.

I imagine perhaps too ambitious for Ember but I would imagine a Command Base operated by an army could create all sorts of assets at locarions and garrison NPC batallions to use the assets. Base defenses, vehicles, airships, etc. Strategy would be in placing and moving the assets. Would give the bases a very lively feeling I would think.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Ohh... I read this and almost instantly came up with a scenario kinda like a real war. Army/Guild leaders or tacticians being in some kind of base control hub and connected via Voicechat. They are having an top-down view of the battlefield and command their troops via map-pings, colored smoke or beacons. Players of the participating armies/guilds would have to defend/attack the planned spots to ultimately conquer the objective. they could call down heavy machinery. engineer class players would build them and do maintainance.

i know this sounds more like an RTS-game than anything else... but thats just my 2 cents on the topic.

Jul 26, 2016
Ohh... I read this and almost instantly came up with a scenario kinda like a real war. Army/Guild leaders or tacticians being in some kind of base control hub and connected via Voicechat. They are having an top-down view of the battlefield and command their troops via map-pings, colored smoke or beacons. Players of the participating armies/guilds would have to defend/attack the planned spots to ultimately conquer the objective. they could call down heavy machinery. engineer class players would build them and do maintainance.

i know this sounds more like an RTS-game than anything else... but thats just my 2 cents on the topic.
I had the same thought. It is a war, right? Perhaps a smaller Army is having trouble with the enemy at a refinery and sends a distress call for a fellow army commander to dispatch aid. A living, breathing, changing battlefield at the tips of our fingers.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I had the same thought. It is a war, right? Perhaps a smaller Army is having trouble with the enemy at a refinery and sends a distress call for a fellow army commander to dispatch aid. A living, breathing, changing battlefield at the tips of our fingers.
I also thought about how one could obtain a 'Commander' rank/role. Could it be managed inside the army as a givable rank? or do you have to unlock it either via currency, GW2 style, or certain progression points.

How could we do the distress call? Map-chat? a dedicated one for army-leaders and commanders? actual buildable distress beacons? all of them are a good option while the last one is the most immersive for me.

Aug 14, 2016
I thinking like if players are mercenaries like we were in FireFall then we can choice to work with different NPC groups who would hire us to protect the area and help them build towns/bases to aid in the terraforming project. This way even people who are not in things like guilds can still be of help be working for NPCs.

And if you really want to take the mercenary idea a step further you guilds could post jobs for non-guild members to do for some payment. Or they can hair the different NPC mercenary groups and players who are in that group would be showed the job first.

If so, I'm be joining the Raven mercenary group and our HQ is called Ravens Nest. :cool: to people who know what I mean by that.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
You know, as a player it would really suck if I spent all these resources investing into a base, only to come back the next day and see that all the defenses I built have been relocated to some interior base because a guild established control and the leader decided to relocate everything to make the wall easier for the AI to collapse so they have something to fight over.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
You know, as a player it would really suck if I spent all these resources investing into a base, only to come back the next day and see that all the defenses I built have been relocated to some interior base because a guild established control and the leader decided to relocate everything to make the wall easier for the AI to collapse so they have something to fight over.
I thought turrets and defences would be in fixed locations and unmovable until destroyed... at least the buildings were according to a post from Grummz (cant find it tho)

Jul 26, 2016
I also thought about how one could obtain a 'Commander' rank/role. Could it be managed inside the army as a givable rank? or do you have to unlock it either via currency, GW2 style, or certain progression points.
If I was making this it would be based on in house Army Ranks. General of said army and make ranks and give permissions to individual players on merit or performance. Locking it wouldn't feel as good in an Army. Locking it behind reputation for NPC factions and such might be good but I think you would find orders clashing if too many players held these permissions.

I would imagine it would work like Guild ranks and Army ranks with permissions. Ultimately if you're that concerned you give the power to do so only to respected members. It is a war so I would hope we continue to struggle with land occupation and lose bases and territories every now and then. So long as we work together and the system isnt detrimentally punishing I don't think it would be that bad.

How could we do the distress call? Map-chat?
Probably a combination of both. Global Defense Chat and a World Map that would show distress at a location with some sort of information; like Firefall had a red pulse around POI's under attack. Can be an automated system for alerts for an Army broadcast into Army chat.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I would imagine it would work like Guild ranks and Army ranks with permissions. Ultimately if you're that concerned you give the power to do so only to respected members. It is a war so I would hope we continue to struggle with land occupation and lose bases and territories every now and then. So long as we work together and the system isnt detrimentally punishing I don't think it would be that bad.
I think I need to restate and clarify. Army is just another word used for Guilds in MMOs when it comes to player organizations.

If an Army comes rolling in and takes over the base I had been fortifying they gain control of its assets, which would include the defenses I built. That gives the leader of the army the ability to relocate the assets I invested into the base.

It is not a matter of permissions. The Army leader relocating the stuff already has the permissions unless the system is set up so that no Army leader is capable of relocating assets tied to a base. With the only ones being able to do so using the RTS commander system is Crixia Labs staff. That would mean the core of your idea falls apart, because it is built around the ability for player armies to relocate assets.

I am one of those people where if I took a liking to a base and can fortify it I will. I would invest and invest and invest until the base has such a network of interlocking turret fields of fire, with artillery support for any THMPR dig within a 10km range, that no enemy would be able to get near it. I would want to construct such a hardpoint that even if every base around it were to fall and it would be isolated in its own pocket it would still be able to hold off attacks to take it.

But it would suck for some army to come and take the base and move all my work just because they want it to fall to have an excuse to retake it.

Jul 26, 2016
I think I need to restate and clarify. Army is just another word used for Guilds in MMOs when it comes to player organizations.

If an Army comes rolling in and takes over the base I had been fortifying they gain control of its assets, which would include the defenses I built. That gives the leader of the army the ability to relocate the assets I invested into the base.

It is not a matter of permissions. The Army leader relocating the stuff already has the permissions unless the system is set up so that no Army leader is capable of relocating assets tied to a base. With the only ones being able to do so using the RTS commander system is Crixia Labs staff. That would mean the core of your idea falls apart, because it is built around the ability for player armies to relocate assets.

I am one of those people where if I took a liking to a base and can fortify it I will. I would invest and invest and invest until the base has such a network of interlocking turret fields of fire, with artillery support for any THMPR dig within a 10km range, that no enemy would be able to get near it. I would want to construct such a hardpoint that even if every base around it were to fall and it would be isolated in its own pocket it would still be able to hold off attacks to take it.

But it would suck for some army to come and take the base and move all my work just because they want it to fall to have an excuse to retake it.
I don't think you understood.

If you own it it is yours. Another Army cannot take it from you. It would require that there be a sort of Army dedicated set of plots along side uncontrollable ones perhaps.

If you own a base and a refinery, for example, no army can just take it away. Neutral positions could be built up but not owned. It would really promote very heavily army play. I imagine there could be a neutral army, no commanders, no officers, that all new players start in and they all offer resources to bases and there is no one in charge. These could be the NPC bases. If a player leaves they can still help these territories but would likely help the Army they left to join.

I am not talking about reloating bases either. I am talking about sending troops and vehicles or base defenses. I imagine base locations would be static and if the enemy occupies it would shift to an enemy themed base.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I do just wish to point out that while the AI might have a military command structure (like the Accord), The player is a mercenary and as such would have no rank or status within that structure. In fact if we end up with factions it will probably be that your "loyalties" will simply go to the highest bidder on a mostly individual level. Mercenaries might be able to band together in order to convince the factions to provide extra benefits but you are still just mercenaries.

If you were truly in a military command structure then:

1) You would have no freedom to do whatever you wanted. If someone higher up the chain orders you to do something then you have to do it or you would be brought up on charges of insubordination (within reason).

2) Nobody would "own" anything, there would be no guilds or alliances. Players would achieve their rank through a merit system and perhaps achieving certain tasks, provided that a slot was open for advancement.

3) Only a base commander would actually have the authority to place/design buildings/defenses, other players may be assigned to build at those locations but themselves would not be setting anything up.

4) As in #1 you would not be able to choose your squad mates, rather those higher up the command structure would be in charge of dividing up forces and tasks. While as a game, preference should certainly be given to your friends list, you may end up not participating in activities you feel like participating in that day if a senior officer requires you elsewhere.

Last edited:

ApisLove

Firstclaimer
Aug 30, 2016
If you were truly in a military command structure then:

1) You would have no freedom to do whatever you wanted. If someone higher up the chain orders you to do something then you have to do it or you would be brought up on charges of insubordination (within reason).

2) Nobody would "own" anything, there would be no guilds or alliances. Players would achieve their rank through a merit system and perhaps achieving certain tasks, provided that a slot was open for advancement.

3) Only a base commander would actually have the authority to place/design buildings/defenses, other players may be assigned to build at those locations but themselves would not be setting anything up.

4) As in #1 you would not be able to choose your squad mates, rather those higher up the command structure would be in charge of dividing up forces and tasks. While as a game preference should certainly be given to your friends list, you may end up not participating in activities you feel like participating in that day if a senior officer requires you elsewhere.
Yes, this is how military works. If implemented correctly, it leads to an efficient means of getting things done.

If there is truly going to be war, this is how I'd have it.

The question is whether or not players would cooperate.

Jul 26, 2016
The question is whether or not players would cooperate
I find this would be the most interesting part of it all. I know there are Reaper teams but haven't seen where we are somehow unquestionably united as one cohesive force.

If mercenaries or similar it would make things interesting. A bit more flavor in the pot perhaps?