Regarding night vision

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
You understand that these are those limitations, and when you program/code basic version of night/thermal vision to the game, it doesnt have those limitations, you need to write aditional code for it and that can be very hard. Or I am mistaken and Unreal engines (and its aditions) come with perfect night/thermal vision built in code.
i just wanted to say that the "basic" limitations of night/thermal vision make more sense and are easier to implement than what you suggested since they don't rely so heavily on ambient occlusion and particle effects

During that time nights were VERY dark unless the moon was up, even then it did not provide a huge amount of light. So during a night thump what people would do was throw around a bunch of flares around the thumper to light up mob spawns to make it easier for marking them in SIN. Though we also had flashlights.

This made night time thumping more difficult then day time thumping because it made it a lot easier for mobs to sneak up on the thumper, and the muzzle flashes lightning up the environment as mobs were leaping about looked awesome.

sorta like this:
Atmosphere. Enhanced.

Jul 27, 2016
While I can certainly understand the argument of realism vs. fun, I have to fall on the side of realism.

If I am in command of a bunch of soldiers, I'm going to send them out on night missions with the best equipment, and in my mind that does not include a Ray-o-vac flashlight from Walmart.

As to those arguments that muzzle flash and such ruin the night vision, try playing Mech Warrior Online. They have both thermal and night vision implemented in game. Muzzle flash and explosions are not an issue at all.

Jul 26, 2016
steamcommunity.com
While I can certainly understand the argument of realism vs. fun, I have to fall on the side of realism.

If I am in command of a bunch of soldiers, I'm going to send them out on night missions with the best equipment, and in my mind that does not include a Ray-o-vac flashlight from Walmart.

As to those arguments that muzzle flash and such ruin the night vision, try playing Mech Warrior Online. They have both thermal and night vision implemented in game. Muzzle flash and explosions are not an issue at all.
But PGI doesn't make thermal/night vision realistic either, they're just estetical emulations at best and they even mess up with them in some maps to "balance". The only times i used them was thermal in Frozen City before they overhauled it, right now there's not any usefulness on them, they even hinder your visibility in fact.

Now, i do like the idea of thermal and night vision but only if it's done properly instead of a blurry green/gray graphic filter and not as a replacement for flashlight, but as more options for visibility. Give each of them their own advantages and disadvantages so it's up to the players to choice the right one for their needs and the situation.

Maybe they could even work as omniframe accessories, with a weight and power requirement. More customization, more options, bring it on! :D

Dark nights and caverns, with flares, lights and night vision sound pretty awesome to me. Can I get some of those green lights you crack and shake for light option too~ I always loved that eerie glow stick effect.
Well, there should more color options, though. :)

If I'm not mistaken it is only green, because of the chemicals used, but since we're in the future there could be more color options. Red, orange, yellow, blue, purple, pink, green, white. Just those would be enough. We could buy them from vendors, for in-game currency or trade, receive them for completing tasks, mission, or even be given them at the start of assignments to aid or find them as loot in bandit hideouts or abandoned supply stations...etc. that we could also restore and keep running as outposts.

But PGI doesn't make thermal/night vision realistic either, they're just estetical emulations at best and they even mess up with them in some maps to "balance". The only times i used them was thermal in Frozen City before they overhauled it, right now there's not any usefulness on them, they even hinder your visibility in fact.

Now, i do like the idea of thermal and night vision but only if it's done properly instead of a blurry green/gray graphic filter and not as a replacement for flashlight, but as more options for visibility. Give each of them their own advantages and disadvantages so it's up to the players to choice the right one for their needs and the situation.

Maybe they could even work as omniframe accessories, with a weight and power requirement. More customization, more options, bring it on! :D
They could be special attachments we could equip on weapons, some we may even found, as loot, with those filters already attached. AND it could be done so the effect could be toggled by scoping in, whether someone's in third-person or first. And if we're going to have helmets (which, in the game option could be set to invisible, so either everyone or just the player could see the faces of their characters) then some, or all, should come with some built in device that would aid vision in the dark, or in a sand-storm, fog...etc.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
My potato computer might not handle some effects.

My rag-doll-button eyes might not either.

The engine might indeed support these ideas. That alone would be the deciding factor if this gets put in reasonably soon or considered at some much later date.