Regarding night vision

Jul 27, 2016
So, light amplification or thermal?
Either.
Or.
Both.
Any.

If we have to use flashlights, I opt for floodlamps. Our battle frames were crystite powered after all, which was akin to nuclear, and should be able to power a few meager light bulbs with no problem.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
Hi I will use my old post from http://www.thmpr02.com/threads/world-proper-night-cycle-as-is-night-is-pitch-black.34/
Yes, you are right, we don´t want that scenario, that you can see only with flares. We should always have flashlight, night vision and thermal vision. But I liked flares in od version of FF, because you could see better with them, it wasn´t necessity, it was only optional and world seem to be realistic with them. So I think if we would be able to also include limitation (to some degree) of night vision and thermal vision to game, it would allow us to create more tactical scenarios (I mean we would be changing from normal vision (with flashlight and flares, but limited visibility) to thermal/night vision (great visibility until some fog/steam/or material that will block or absorb light spectrum used in night/thermal vision), see link included:
But of course include such limitation is a lot of work, so basic night/thermal vision is sufficient to create that right and enjoyable atmosphere in game :)

Jul 28, 2016
At the risk of opening a can of worms...

I'd like to see each planet with different lunar cycle(s). Some planets may have 1 moon, some 5, some none. They all would vary the available nocturnal illumination as they phase through their cycles and orbits.

Probably won't happen, but I'd like to see it.

At the risk of opening a can of worms...

I'd like to see each planet with different lunar cycle(s). Some planets may have 1 moon, some 5, some none. They all would vary the available nocturnal illumination as they phase through their cycles and orbits.

Probably won't happen, but I'd like to see it.
Mmm...yes.

I cannot even recall what flares used to be like in FF 1,5-2 years ago, or even if they were different than they are now, but it would add the immersion, the thrill and to the difficulty of nightly encounter if we had to rely on flares, flashlight, night or thermal vision. Especially in caves. Outside, the light of natural satellites (plural, even) could aid us, so we wouldn't have to use up aiding equipment or rely heavily on them. But, in pitch black caves, we'd only see as far as a flare would illuminate the dark. We'd hear the creatures moving around and some would blindly fire into the darkness, like, in the cinematic intro for FireFall. With night and thermal vision, this could be further improved.

Apart from moons, it would also be lovely to see more natural light-sources, in the form of bio-luminescent flora. Strange plants. Some campfires or torches hanging from fixture, the embers of which could be seen from far away, would also add to the look of the game.

Jul 28, 2016
Mmm...yes.

I cannot even recall what flares used to be like in FF 1,5-2 years ago, or even if they were different than they are now, but it would add the immersion, the thrill and to the difficulty of nightly encounter if we had to rely on flares, flashlight, night or thermal vision. Especially in caves. Outside, the light of natural satellites (plural, even) could aid us, so we wouldn't have to use up aiding equipment or rely heavily on them. But, in pitch black caves, we'd only see as far as a flare would illuminate the dark. We'd hear the creatures moving around and some would blindly fire into the darkness, like, in the cinematic intro for FireFall. With night and thermal vision, this could be further improved.

Apart from moons, it would also be lovely to see more natural light-sources, in the form of bio-luminescent flora. Strange plants. Some campfires or torches hanging from fixture, the embers of which could be seen from far away, would also add to the look of the game.
I can't believe I didn't think to add luminescence in there. Nice addition.

I can't believe I didn't think to add luminescence in there. Nice addition.
Well, if we're going to be on different planets, proper planet-hopping, Stargate-like, sci-fi, it should have some intriguing and usual, but also useful flora. Even fauna, maybe. Like, large, but docile beast that we can use to scale heights and certain creatures whose presence would indicate a resource, where those creature would congregate and they could lead us and help us to it. Some symbiosis. I dislike it when I'm forced to kill a non-aggressive, non-hostile, non-territorial creature. I never shoot Brontodons in FF, for example. I leave the savages to waste time with their precious Brontodon King events, too.

Also, deep water was a weakness for frames. But, maybe this time, they could expand the play-area to include the depths of a planet's ocean?

Dremor

Jul 27, 2016
Sure night vision would be great, sure their technology should be able to make a good night vision... But would it be wort it, gameplay wise?

Having a very dark night, with only a flash-light, could provide some variation to the gameplay. At night, we wouldn't be able to see everything around us, making every exploration attempt more dangerous.. and spooky :p. The only way to see the enemies would have been to use our flash-light... which, in return, make the player visible to any hostile wildlife/player/NPC in the area

In another hand, a termal night-vision could be a great addition to the recon archetype of omniframe (if there is one). With some limitation of course (duration, CD, etc.)

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Mmm...yes.

During that time nights were VERY dark unless the moon was up, even then it did not provide a huge amount of light. So during a night thump what people would do was throw around a bunch of flares around the thumper to light up mob spawns to make it easier for marking them in SIN. Though we also had flashlights.

This made night time thumping more difficult then day time thumping because it made it a lot easier for mobs to sneak up on the thumper, and the muzzle flashes lightning up the environment as mobs were leaping about looked awesome.

sorta like this:

Dremor

Jul 27, 2016
During that time nights were VERY dark unless the moon was up, even then it did not provide a huge amount of light. So during a night thump what people would do was throw around a bunch of flares around the thumper to light up mob spawns to make it easier for marking them in SIN. Though we also had flashlights.

This made night time thumping more difficult then day time thumping because it made it a lot easier for mobs to sneak up on the thumper, and the muzzle flashes lightning up the environment as mobs were leaping about looked awesome.
Exactly. We shouldn't sacrifice the gameplay on the realism altar (French expression, not sure if it is similar in English).

Jul 28, 2016
Exactly. We shouldn't sacrifice the gameplay on the realism altar (French expression, not sure if it is similar in English).
Close enough. Gameplay trumps realism is how I've heard it in English.

OTOH I feel that NV of some sort should be an option on a frame. Maybe make it a trade off for something else.

I'm also in favor of your suggestion to make a close range and a long range NV setup.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
So I think if we would be able to also include limitation (to some degree) of night vision and thermal vision to game.
Night vision and thermal vision don't need any additional limitations has they already have built in ones, namely that once the weapons start firing you're practically blind, muzzle flashes/explosions plays havoc on night vision (not to mention flashlights, flares and flashbang granades) and explosions of all sorts are not "see throught" in termal vision and can liger for more than a few seconds as it takes time for the heat to dissipate, they just have to make it somewhat realistic in the sensibility aspect, steam clouds and other particle effects would probably be too taxing on FPS anyways.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
Night vision and thermal vision don't need any additional limitations has they already have built in ones, namely that once the weapons start firing you're practically blind, muzzle flashes/explosions plays havoc on night vision (not to mention flashlights, flares and flashbang granades) and explosions of all sorts are not "see throught" in termal vision and can liger for more than a few seconds as it takes time for the heat to dissipate, they just have to make it somewhat realistic in the sensibility aspect, steam clouds and other particle effects would probably be too taxing on FPS anyways.
You understand that these are those limitations, and when you program/code basic version of night/thermal vision to the game, it doesnt have those limitations, you need to write aditional code for it and that can be very hard. Or I am mistaken and Unreal engines (and its aditions) come with perfect night/thermal vision built in code.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Dark nights and caverns, with flares, lights and night vision sound pretty awesome to me. Can I get some of those green lights you crack and shake for light option too~ I always loved that eerie glow stick effect.