Really hope this game wont loose focus as firefall did !

Firefall as waste so much developpement time chasing the " esports Arena " dream and not focusing enough on content production and system and OW Pvp or factions to get more longevity into the game ...

Firefall problems while mark was still in charge

1: Thumper missions while fun at first were getting repetitive and grindy ...
2: Not enough variety of weaponry and custumisation
3:caracter were looking way to cartoony
4: Arena pvp was boring and a total waste of time despite its small highly vocal lover
5: lack of meaning and players driven actions who truely affect the world itself
6: everything was feeling way to corny and to " borderlands escque "

When Firefall launch

1: having level restricted zone was a really bad idea and only waste the map size and made it bad
2: 0 sens of discovery , repetitive open world missions , repetitive fake ass quest missions ... feel to grindy
3: OW pvp as they made it had no flow , no front lines , and was overall broken base defense were not well made , most system werent even working properly and BALANCE was terrible ...
4: Gears bases level and caracter level is pure crap , i prefer weapons variety and custumisation Over leveling ...
5: no meaningfull PVP , no meaningfull PVE ... only repetitive grind ...

So i hope ember wont follow this road , i hope ember will have PVP factions at some point , large scales battle at least 32 vs 32 or 50 vs 50 ... type of battle , fighting for ressources ...

Also large skills battle Players vs Ai who dont feel to easy as they were in firefall ... where it take a sec to destroy everything in our way as soon as we have a significant number of players ...

Also ember backpack as it is look very bad ...

I wish this game will end up been good

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
The9 isn't here to screw it up.

I am not a PVP player but I liked the original PVP but it sadly wasn't the same thing everyone else got to play outside of the original 100 or so people.

I wish Mark had some more of the old concept drawings, animations and stuff that some of us got to see so that others can now get a chance to see it. Firefall will likely have to be officially dead before that would be allowed though.

The9 isn't here to screw it up.

I am not a PVP player but I liked the original PVP but it sadly wasn't the same thing everyone else got to play outside of the original 100 or so people.

I wish Mark had some more of the old concept drawings, animations and stuff that some of us got to see so that others can now get a chance to see it. Firefall will likely have to be officially dead before that would be allowed though.
I was actually in the very early waves and ive play the very first pvp builds also iam the one who made " running sideway " a thing rapidely ... because the first version we coult only run straigh foward hitting w only and not while going wd or wa ... anyway the arena pvp was a pure waste of time did not fit into firefall ... and should never have been the focus , if they had focus on OW pvp stuff from the begining , things would have been much better , from map design to battle flow , to anything of that nature OW related ... design of many things were so broken at launch ... the the waste of time on stage 5 and firefall arena as cripple the OW developpement ... wich is one of the reason why the game as fail so much ...

Firefall as waste so much developpement time chasing the " esports Arena " dream and not focusing enough on content production and system and OW Pvp or factions to get more longevity into the game ...
I think the major problem was having PvP and PvE environments, and being able to balance between both game play styles and it wasn't a matter of spending too much time on one and not the other. If anything, the game seemed quite complicated and I feel that the simplification overall made it uninteresting.

4: Arena pvp was boring and a total waste of time despite its small highly vocal lover
5: lack of meaning and players driven actions who truely affect the world itself
Yeah, weapon skins and such would of been awesome, a would be nice to have in Ember.

The artstyle was pretty much afaik the manga and yes, boarderlands also has that artstyle. A short film called Code Hunters (2007) has that artstyle as well and shaped Boarderlands from their E3 2008 cutscenes and their release in 2009, Gearbox also said that they were influenced by it.

Btw, I turned off the external line in FF to make it look less cartoony.

So i hope ember wont follow this road , i hope ember will have PVP factions at some point , large scales battle at least 32 vs 32 or 50 vs 50 ... type of battle , fighting for ressources ...

Also large skills battle Players vs Ai who dont feel to easy as they were in firefall ... where it take a sec to destroy everything in our way as soon as we have a significant number of players ...

Also ember backpack as it is look very bad ...

I wish this game will end up been good

PvP afaik won't be in Ember. I really hope the Ai is smarter even if it means they retreat than die.
I also would like to see mobs scaled to either resources gathered or player skill level.

I hope that Ember will be good, at least in doing it bit by bit we can see the whole process unfold.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016

1: Thumpers were fun, fulfilled the purpose of getting you resources. If they felt repetitive and grindy, well that was probably because all you did was safe thumps.
2: This is not so much a problem with the game, so much as you wanting more content
3: This is a matter of personal opinion, realism tends to get out competed far more easily
4: Just because Arena PvP was not big for progression does not mean it was a total waste of time
5: Technical limitations at the time were an issue
6: Personal opinion, was not really an issue

Jul 26, 2016
.... i hope ember will have PVP factions at some point ...
Mark has informed everyone that he ain't going to put in PvP.

I think the reason behind it is that the splitting your focus (i.e PvP creation and PvE creation simultaneously) may be a bit too much for Crixia Labs at this point in time. Maybe in the future after the game launches or something.

Hell it might may been too much for Red5 too. There are lots of game companies and game concepts that have went bust over the years by taking way too much, way too early.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia

When Firefall launch

1: having level restricted zone was a really bad idea and only waste the map size and made it bad
2: 0 sens of discovery , repetitive open world missions , repetitive fake ass quest missions ... feel to grindy
3: OW pvp as they made it had no flow , no front lines , and was overall broken base defense were not well made , most system werent even working properly and BALANCE was terrible ...
4: Gears bases level and caracter level is pure crap , i prefer weapons variety and custumisation Over leveling ...
5: no meaningfull PVP , no meaningfull PVE ... only repetitive grind ...
You seem to have specific image of what Ember MUST be, ... that wont end well.

As for point 2: Not enough variety of weaponry and customization. You mean it wasn´t enough for you customization through min-max crafting balancing Mass/Power/CPU in pre-1.0 FF? If you mean that, I must disappoint you, I don´t think that there was better balanced crafting system with more customization.

This is just my personal opinion as respond to what you wrote, maybe I didnt understand you.

But I must agree with all of your points in When Firefall launch :)

Sep 3, 2016
Biggest gripe with Firefall was content got cut everytime content got added. Everyone had a previous patch they preferred.

If Ember is fortunate enough to last many years it should show that in the content depth like a Guild Wars.

Vonstaad

Terraformer
Aug 29, 2016
La Habra Hts., CA
Stew360, ever hear the saying, "Too many chefs in the kitchen"?. That was Red5. Too much was added by too many independent devs, which created a myriad of poor design executions. Mark was "in charge", but that didn't mean he always got his way.

- an insider

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
The main problem with PvP was that the core combat never felt quite right. Initially it was very easy to hit enemies, so weapons having lead time made almost no difference and people got spammed to death. Later, they tried to increase speed quite considerably but left manoeuvrability low, meaning it was frustrating for newbies but still manageable for better players, and there were a lot of scenarios where your ability to live/win was based purely on the competence of your opponent. Later. They slowed things down, but kept manoeuvrability low and reduced projectile speed, meaning that large rooms in both low and high level matches tended to turn into blobs spamming at each other until enough people died.

Maybe there was some spot in between these that was good that I wasn't around for but they never quite hit that point where movement felt good enough to allow proper dodging and shooting felt good enough to not come down to spam or finger-crossing. I don't think the reason for only 3% of the pop playing PvP was that it wasn't tied to progression, but rather the fact that FF's limited progression and related basic compulsioj loop was more compelling than its combat. FF kept going back to being a "zone-out" game, rather than being one I had to pay a decent amount of attention to, and put time into practicing, at least as far as PvE went. There's always going to be people who are fantastic in PvP scenarios, but did you ever feel like there was a level of distinction between play styles at high end? If I showed you 5 top-tier assault players and didn't show usernames, could you pick them out individually?