Outerra as World Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0otness

Jul 29, 2016
No affiliation funnily enough. Just would be nice to have. Maybe even work with them and see if the technique they use for selecting data can be used for network data (player/object locations)

Oct 12, 2016
No affiliation funnily enough. Just would be nice to have. Maybe even work with them and see if the technique they use for selecting data can be used for network data (player/object locations)
I personally don't know anything about the way games are made whatsoever. Isn't this game is already using unreal 4 as the engine? Sorry if I said something stupid > < don't know anything about these stuff

w0otness

Jul 29, 2016
I don't know how well unreal integrates with external libraries, especially one with its own graphics pipelines.
I guess U4 has its own map handling and graphics pipelines.
It's worth a look into though. Would be beautiful to be running around ground level finding resources, then call a flying taxi which transports you to a new part of the world seamlessly.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Outerra looks cool. Everybody love seamless ground to space transitions, its a real crowd-pleaser.

Unfortunately, Outerra is its own engine. It would be impossible to merge two 3D engines together, so we can't use this with Unreal. We also don't plan for outer space or seamless worlds. This is to keep the focus of design to one planet, and also to reduce the need for complex servers for seamless worlds. In order to survive on an Indie budget, our servers have to be as simple as possible and not consume much CPU or bandwidth.

But ty for the suggestion, it was fun to check their stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.