Omniframe Hi-Poly Done. Tsi-Hu Humanoid UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Ya Joe. Turns out if I leave my iPhone off the iPad won't message you unless you are also an Apple user.

Renders turned out awesome!

Jul 29, 2016
Die hard firefall fan here.

Just my opinion for long term.

• The Hands on the suit make no sense. 5 fingers? that's not very efficient for a machine. They don't need 5 fingers. Solid rounded plate for grip, perhaps some sort of "rubber" but at least swap the fingers for something better.
  • The feet appear very unstable. Flat , round or square plates to provide stability when stepping & landing to provide the allure of a "thump" when walking or landing.
Otherwise, they look bad ass and I can't wait to play this game!

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
While I don't see the feet clumping and thumping on the ground, I can see us using the grippy feet calipers to hang upside down from tree limbs or roost inside in the rafters of hangers like futuristic giant mech bats.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
As for the mech, my biggest concern is that spine, I feel like it could be a bit too skinny. Almost looks more like the torso just hovers and that's a tether than a support.

Maybe for the scout one, but for the medium frame with the big engines and arms and other bulk I think it could use an upgrade.

Oh, also curious how the legs will look when posed into a standing one leg before the other or such type of pose. Wonder how far out they can reach while maintaing some flex and freedom of rotation for adding character to the frames movements/actions.

Drake84pl

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Poland
I like the new Tsi-Hu design, the old one looked more like master and puppet rather than the same being before and after transformation. I understand the concerns of some in here that the new form looks less intelligent, but we have to remember that looks can be deceiving, aliens don't need to look humanoid to be intelligent.
In my opinion the new design still has that mysterious vibe, expressed by their head and plain black face with glowing eyes, and they look like they could still pose a threat to omniframes in their lesser form compared to the old one.
Also, nobody said that the old design can't still be used for a different alien race in the future, so who knows, maybe we will see them again.

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
The Hands on the suit make no sense. 5 fingers? that's not very efficient for a machine. They don't need 5 fingers. Solid rounded plate for grip, perhaps some sort of "rubber" but at least swap the fingers for something better.
Fingers do make sense, considering different shapes of objects to grab.
What does not make sense however, is the way the fingers are positioned.

While the human hand shape can be explained by evolution, the shape of a mechanical "hand" should be designed differently.
A human hand grabs something with 4 fingers supporting one side and 1 finger (thumb) supporting the other.
A mechanical hand should have a 2+1 or 3+2 setup, with the fingers of one side fitting between those of the other side, when closing a fist.
Especially, when the wrist can be rotated 360°.

In short: fingers do make sense on a robot, but a human hand like robot hand with 4 normal fingers and a thumb does not.

The feet appear very unstable. Flat , round or square plates to provide stability when stepping & landing to provide the allure of a "thump" when walking or landing.
Otherwise, they look bad ass and I can't wait to play this game!
True. First thing i noticed when i saw them as well.

They do seem a bit like high heels, which means: bad balance, small surface and bad force distribution.
Considering high weight, fast movements and heavy weapons (recoil), bigger, flatter feet would seem to be more useful.

As for the mech, my biggest concern is that spine, I feel like it could be a bit too skinny. Almost looks more like the torso just hovers and that's a tether than a support.

Maybe for the scout one, but for the medium frame with the big engines and arms and other bulk I think it could use an upgrade.
Wearing a mech suit allows enhanced strength and speed, but should also give the operator some protection.

In this case, the operator can simply be incapacitated by taking a hit and if the frame's spine is broken, the operator gets crushed by the weight of his own suit.

Last edited:
A GOOD DAY TO CHECK MA MAILS!

BTW: A Humanoid shape doesn't make intelligence but the intelligence makes the humanoid shape. And the new Tsi-Hu are still humanoid as possible, they walk in an upright manner, have two legs, have heads that sit upright on a neck and they have an odd number of fingers + thumbs. Intelligent beings only have this form because it benefits the use of tools.

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
A Humanoid shape doesn't make intelligence but the intelligence makes the humanoid shape. [...] Intelligent beings only have this form because it benefits the use of tools.
The human body is very limiting and far from perfect.

If they are a superior species, they might have modified themselves.
If they are actually designed and not designoid (evolved), they could look quite different.

Zednel

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
Hungary
I am a bit concerned by the change in feeling/vibe the Tsi-Hu now give off. Part of what I liked about the first concept was that it made them look like a solidly grounded and somewhat intelligent enemy. Clothing, a lower build, a sense of mystery...

This one without the clothing and with its body being made to look far more aggressive in nature has kind of lost that sense of it being an intelligent individual, and feels more like a random/throwaway enemy you'd find dropped into any old game. You know, the mindless mobs that just run at you and you don't really care about. I think you might want to give them even just a partial cloak or something to add back a bit of that hidden, mysterious, unknown vibe. Clothing also hints towards intelligence, and with a slightly less threatening physical vibe gives the impression they might be more likely intelligent rather than something purely there for killing/fighting. Any little trinkets or additions that would imply they have culture is good I feel as long as it doesn't look out of place. The taller body with the crazy skinny midsection is I feel kind of overused, and makes this thing seem far more generic, and less real (a thin midsection IRL is a bit questionable, especially for a biped).

These heads also are far less identifiable and more... almost insect and alien in nature. While having it be a human copy isn't great, I did like how it was close enough in the first one to help it feel more associatable to humans and thus intelligent. New one has larger jaw/mouth area, higher eyes, more angly spiky bits and as a result negative space with the quills and stuff, but a smaller cranium further reinforcing the idea of lesser inteligance and being more of a simply agressive animal. Hordes of mindless enemies was more of the thought I had with the smaller kaijus, but making the Tsi-Hu themselves look less inteligent is I feel throwing away part of what helped them feel more unique and would have made them a more interesting enemy to fight in game.

These are just my thoughts on what I'm seeing, and I understand that it can be hard do to time and money limitations to outright go back and try over, but some quick additions like small scraps of fabric or another head design would be comparatively easy and may be worth looking into (and smaller scraps of fabric can be far more easily put into a model and animated simply as part of the normal skeleton system so it could still meet that goal of simplifying the process of making and implementing them). Fabric and clothing can also have patterns, colors, and other things on them that help them look more unique or vary their color in ways that make them more visually interesting than just having the entire creature be flesh and bony/metal like bits.
I agree. On the concept art, the Tsu-Hu looked like a savage, menacing yet intelligent species bent on killing everything that moves. The new ones look reminds me of the Felucians from Star Wars: The Force Unleahsed: a primitive species, relying on brute force rather than thinking and planning (Pre-Shaak-ti arrival).

Also, we have to look at the "Wow!" factor here. If a new player encounters a (seemingly) primitive looking enemy that can turn into a huge yet mindless beast like in the concept art, she/he will think that "okay, this goes hand in hand... from small body and limited intelligence to big body and no intelligence. A simple power-up".
However, with the original concept, seeing an intelligent, collected and humanlike enemy sacrifice their minds for brute force gives a bigger impact. Its a more "over-the-top" feeling.

If we could make them look more intelligent from the outside (since they WILL be intelligent anyway), I think most of the concerns will be solved.

But of course, most of what I mentioned depends on someones own perception of the Tsu-Hu and the performance of the AI.

Dec 15, 2016
they walk in an upright manner,
By the looks according to the design, the Tsi-hu walk with digitigrade locomotion. That's anatomy speak for walking/running on your toes. Humans walk/run with plantigrade. It could be possible that there are some Tsi-hu walking like humans.

Jul 10, 2017
Tsi-Hu:

The new version gives off a more savage esque feel and its build has enough features to infer that it does have intelligence but I can't tell if its armor is part of its own body or something it puts on (this needs to be made clearer).
The whole body looks like its been through augmentation and turned into an armored cyborg, especially the feet.

As for the mouth in the chain coil thingy... what the devil?!

Omniframe:
The spine doesn't look like it can handle the weight of the frame and the feet looks like it needs to be a bit bigger and wider

ForsakenSymbiont

Archon
Base Commander
Jan 24, 2017
Germany, Berlin
The taller body with the crazy skinny midsection is I feel kind of overused, and makes this thing seem far more generic, and less real (a thin midsection IRL is a bit questionable, especially for a biped).
Same here...
The small waist and centerline look a bit too thin. I like the design overall, but with the bulky chainwheel on the back the lower torso and especially the lower legs should be a bit more... substantial.
I really like that the silhouettes are rather destinct for the player (Mech) and the enemys and that should definitly stay that way.
Still... parts of the new Tsi-Hu look too flimsy.

On the note of clothing:
I think armor platings could be used instead of cloth to polish out the individuality.
from the artwork it seems the left arm has a "manmade" structure whereas the right one looks more natural.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Apparently Mark and My phones hate each other. Here are some beauty renders of the Omniframe from Marmoset. Happy friday

EDIT: These are all 4K Renders so enjoy your new desktops ;)

- Joe Solo

Big hands to punch or tinkle with !

It be cool to see the pilot inside the mech it is looking fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.