New Warframe Trailer - What Em-8ER is and is not.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Warframe released some great footage of their open world demo, which is a 4 player co-op instanced open world (with a central city hub that holds 50) with one zone that is 3km x 3km in size.

Like Anthem, the update focuses on small squads going on missions and quests in an open with random encounters and giant boss fights thrown into the mix. Looks great, and Destiny 2, Anthem and now Warframe will be competing hotly for the instanced 4-player co-op, hub and instance, open world shooter.

If Firefall were still around, I'm sure they would be in direct competition too.

Em-8ER will not be joining that fray. The genre of 4 player co-op and questing is going to be well served by the above titles. Em-8ER stands apart. By focusing on large scale shooter battles with hundreds of players fighting at a time in MEKs and vehicles, against a shape-shifting invader armed with giant Kaiju, Em-8ER is much more like PvE Planetside 2 or a massively multiplayer and persistent version of Battlefield 1.

Players will open their planetary map and find battles waging across entire zones, and be able to jump in and fight in a battle at any time. Players in MEKs will be going up against shape-shifting beasts that shred steel and bone. THUMPRs will be going up against Kaiju in hand to hand battles to the death. Bases will be built by Shifters and Humans alike, granting more vehicles, weapons and strategic advantages to use during the war. The same bases will be attacked by forces with giant Kaiju that rip apart structures bit by bit. Everywhere will be the chaos of open war, played out across huge zones.

No other game offers that experience to date. A part of Firefall did once, during the beta, but they quickly shifted away from Chosen invasions to focus on multiple MMO tropes like daily, questing and raids. But if you remember Firefall when the servers rebooted, and war raged across ALL of New Eden to push back the Chosen, that's the feeling Em-8ER will capture and hone and refine.

The goal since I helped make WoW was to do a massive planetary wargame, and Em-8ER is intended to deliver that goal.

For reference, here is the gorgeous trailer from Warframe that does 4 player, open-world co-op:

Here is Battlefield 1's gameplay trailer, which still does not convey what a PvE, persistent war would be like vs giant Kaiju, but is closer than the Warframe trailer to the experience that Em-8ER will be offering.

And, while older, here is a Planetside 2 cinematic trailer that more closely resembles the FEELING of what Em-8ER is targeting:

Ryunokage

Terraformer
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah. It does seem like a rather less intense form of gameplay then what we'll eventually get.

Jetting around and idlying about a pretty landscape is all well and good, but we're going to have is something that's a fair bit larger and more involved in scale. Nevermind that anthem and warframe tend to be tailored more to people who want their hands held.

We on the other hand, we're literally going to be pioneers. Fighting a war, mining resources, building bases, towns and colonising and entire planet. Its practically out of the old west, i'm going to have to get myself a six-shooter and a ten gallon hat when em-8er launchers.

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Omg I have literally just finished watching the trailer and came here to say how shocked I was about it and I'm glad people are already talking about this. I'm not a fan of Warframe, played it, got tired of it, blah blah blah, but that's just an epic trailer. The crowd was going insane. I didn't know it was just for 4 players, I missed him saying it I guess. Too bad, but still it's just amazing. I also didn't know Anthem was the same, which is just also kind of disappointing, glad to know this. Still again, both look equally amazing so far.

Firefall did amazing once as an Open World War game back when new eden was constantly attacked by the chosen, I'm pretty sure Em8er will be able to do better, as the engine, Firefall's past, player feedback, etc... will be the things that Firefall lacked of (except player's feedback, Firefall had loving fans). So yeah, to build Em8er, such a unique game and innovative idea, Firefall had to happen, Firefall had to die, to learn all the dos and donts.

Pretty excited with Warframe, Anthem, and now Em8er, for the Game industry future.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
Warframe released some great footage of their open world demo, which is a 4 player co-op instanced open world (with a central city hub that holds 50) with one zone that is 3km x 3km in size.

Like Anthem, the update focuses on small squads going on missions and quests in an open with random encounters and giant boss fights thrown into the mix. Looks great, and Destiny 2, Anthem and now Warframe will be competing hotly for the instanced 4-player co-op, hub and instance, open world shooter.

If Firefall were still around, I'm sure they would be in direct competition too.

Em-8ER will not be joining that fray. The genre of 4 player co-op and questing is going to be well served by the above titles. Em-8ER stands apart. By focusing on large scale shooter battles with hundreds of players fighting at a time in MEKs and vehicles, against a shape-shifting invader armed with giant Kaiju, Em-8ER is much more like PvE Planetside 2 or a massively multiplayer and persistent version of Battlefield 1.

Players will open their planetary map and find battles waging across entire zones, and be able to jump in and fight in a battle at any time. Players in MEKs will be going up against shape-shifting beasts that shred steel and bone. THUMPRs will be going up against Kaiju in hand to hand battles to the death. Bases will be built by Shifters and Humans alike, granting more vehicles, weapons and strategic advantages to use during the war. The same bases will be attacked by forces with giant Kaiju that rip apart structures bit by bit. Everywhere will be the chaos of open war, played out across huge zones.

No other game offers that experience to date. A part of Firefall did once, during the beta, but they quickly shifted away from Chosen invasions to focus on multiple MMO tropes like daily, questing and raids. But if you remember Firefall when the servers rebooted, and war raged across ALL of New Eden to push back the Chosen, that's the feeling Em-8ER will capture and hone and refine.

The goal since I helped make WoW was to do a massive planetary wargame, and Em-8ER is intended to deliver that goal.

For reference, here is the gorgeous trailer from Warframe that does 4 player, open-world co-op:

Here is Battlefield 1's gameplay trailer, which still does not convey what a PvE, persistent war would be like vs giant Kaiju, but is closer than the Warframe trailer to the experience that Em-8ER will be offering.

And, while older, here is a Planetside 2 cinematic trailer that more closely resembles the FEELING of what Em-8ER is targeting:

oh you don't have to tell us dude. we know there will not be anything out there like ember. those 4 player coop games are great for only 40 hours and after that you're left with boredom. ember and firefall you can put in 1000+ hours easy like I did in the steam version alone, not counting beta days and still go at it with excitement. By the way mark, I would like to see you fight for the firefall ip. I still believe that if you can manage both firefall and em8er you will be bigger than blizzard.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Nice post, that will help when the game is closer to release and we'll get all those people going "So it's like Destiny, right?".

It does sound quite ambitious, though, but I hope all of this will be realized.

And to people that want to try out Warframe because of that trailer, do note that this content isn't in the game yet and it can take a while until it's here. Current release date for it simply states 2017.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Good. I was hoping the bases weren't static safe zones.
Also good to know that the Kaju ain't just spawning in the waves of mining.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
Yeah. Currently: Warframe is just a party game. Think Fusion Frenzy or Little Big Planet.

There's no hub. You just log in, and select maps to play.

Jul 26, 2016
I'm hoping Destiny 2 will fill that void for me, personally. Don't know if I can trust BioWare after the drama surrounding Andromeda.
Just remember that with the majority of game companies out there, a trailer usually isn't directly representative of how the game will actually be. The games will instead be rather close to the concepts or ideas presented in the trailer.

Though with Andromeda they really bit off far more than they can chew. Wanting to do all the stuff they showcased in their trailers they released years ago under the same claim that it was all in game footage, back during it's development wasn't possible with the engine they are forced to work with. But they tried. And sort of failed to reach the heights shown in that trailers. That isn't to say that the game didn't reach the ideas presented in the trailers but to say that didn't reach the high level they set for themselves in those trailers.

Last edited:

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
I was pretty stocked about Warframe having "open world", than found out more about it, and it is still just a 4 player coop in large nonlinear maps. Its great and definitely something Warframe can use to get away from infinite repetitive corridors, but year, its still just a coop mode. On top of that Warframe (and Destiny) are still heavy on the stats, and are all about vertical progression.

So yeah, true open world (or large world regions) with mostly horizontal progression, is something that simply have not been done other than FireFall beta, which is truely amazing and mind boggling at the same time. I have been watching video game industry grow for the past 20 years, and with all different games we have out there today and that were done in the past, nobody has every made mmo-shooter with open world and horizontal progression and pve content, other than FireFall beta.

Hope Em8er will succeed and do great!

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
(forgive my lacks of capital letters. It's nearly 5am and I'm not in the right mood)

So yeah, true open world (or large world regions) with mostly horizontal progression, is something that simply have not been done other than FireFall beta, which is truely amazing and mind boggling at the same time. I have been watching video game industry grow for the past 20 years, and with all different games we have out there today and that were done in the past, nobody has every made mmo-shooter with open world and horizontal progression and pve content, other than FireFall beta.
Looking at the past in my entire life, I have never seen the truest form of "open world" after Star Wars Galaxy. It may be vertical progression. But code and mechanic wise in the term of "open world", it was superior compared to modern games.

Last edited: