New Warframe Trailer - What Em-8ER is and is not.

Discussion in 'General Ember Discussion' started by Grummz, Jul 9, 2017.

1. RaZoR

RaZoR Death Reaper - Frame Founder

Going just off the trailers.
    Well I thought Warframe was a bit bland and outdated. Brainless Orcs. If they just sprinkled a few different ingredients into the clone-atron, they could spit out more varieties of melee opponents with half a brain of putting up a challenge. No... we'll throw 20 -30 of them at a time into the mix, to keep everyone busy for a while.
    Battlefield is great classic warfare, only played pc, not online. But the cinematics and action of air combat looks to be a great challenge of skill.
    PlanetSide 2 has to be the best of the 3. That plane jumping was a great insight into gameplay (if it's possible in-game), reminded me of the Avatar battle. But the ending got me with the hero getting his final hoo-haa, from whatever phased in. They seemed to have more than half a brain, with a sense of needing eyes in the back of your head, or your dead. Good stuff.

I know it's expensive and time consuming to come up with a plethora of AI's to battle, but if using the same characters with a bucket full of intelligent AI configurations, each individual having a random setting of stealth, melee, weapon mods or full on in your face, we will not know what characteristics each one has, and will make it that more interesting, without us knowing eventually how they will react. Let the Tsi-Hu evolve I say.:eek:

Fabricio21RJ likes this.
  2. McDuff Man

McDuff Man New Member

Eh, i prefer this version of that BF1 trailer:

Mizogin likes this.
  3. Jag

Jag Member

This is great to see, certainly clears up some questions that I know I have seen pop up.

Thanks - great post.

Grummz likes this.
  4. Picho

Picho New Member

All I could think while reading this was YEEAAA!! and can't help but to feel the excitement of pushing back the Chosen. I am an avid Warframe player and spend a lot of money with them but it never gave me the rush Firefall did when logging in, or waiting for the attack countdown and seeing everyone running around and getting ready. People dying and being revived and people coordinating to take out the cannons, it was the best time I've ever had in any game.

Mahdi likes this.
  5. q4TEKS

q4TEKS New Member

So can u explain how hundreds of players will work in one server instance with UE4? Maybe I am not up to date but i can remember this:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...4-Max-AI-supported&p=5144&viewfull=1#post5144

It sounds like a PvE Planetside 2 will never work with Unreal Engine.

6. Estender

Estender T.H.M.P.R.

"There isn't a hard-coded limit to the number of players. The player count achievable with good performance is a function of the complexity of your player meshes and animation graphs, level collision, AI, and network bandwidth available." - from your link.

IIRC first map is gonna be around 6-8 km, so battles are gonna be spread out, which should help with server load, + snow blizzards can hide the farmost parts of the map. (and places you don't need to look at)

7. q4TEKS

q4TEKS New Member

you misquoted sweeney, quoted out of context because you took out the important part. selective perception by your side?

"..If you keep things simple (say, at the level of Unreal Tournament 3 from the UE3 days), I could imagine 50-100 players in a multiplayer game."-he said.

I think his statement is based on an arena fps with low enviroment effects so em8er will need more performance on this side. ok his statement is 3 years old, but i dont know any UE4 game that runs performant if there are more than 100 players on one map.

8. Estender

Estender T.H.M.P.R.

Unintended ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Game not gonna be like crysis and filled with pc melting effects anyway,
    as Grummz said: still stylized but more realistic.

9. SomeUnregPunk

SomeUnregPunk Emberite

stylized? so like cell shading? Does games with cell shading do better in this type of environment that the other style?

10. Estender

Estender T.H.M.P.R.

Cell shading is a rendering technique. Art style is a different thing, about which i was saying earlier.
    Games there models are less detailed for the sake of said art style are, of course, tend to run better on older PCs.

11. NanoTechnician

NanoTechnician Emberite - T.H.M.P.R.

@q4TEKS & @Estender, I've had concerns with networking and server implementation, after all fluid gameplay is paramount.

1. Implementing a completely custom MMO back-end framework handling all gameplay logic including object movement, and interfacing it with UE through networking: The client purely runs in UE, and the server purely runs outside of UE, and they are coordinated through a custom networking layer using either UDP or TCP. This approach is generally best for MMOs looking to support thousands of players per server, where UE's high-precision approach to player movement and collision are overly-expensive compared to tile maps and other simplified techniques.

2. Using UE's built-in functionality for implementing both the client and server components of an MMO, and extending the networking and level streaming code to support new features such as simultaneous connections to multiple servers responsible for separate streaming levels, and coordination between servers to allow seamless movement of actors between them.

NCSoft took approach 1 with Lineage 2 and various other projects, while Sigil Games took approach 2 with Vanguard. For a small project, I'd recommend approach 2, as it's easy to get up and running in a prototype prior to making engine-level improvements needed for scalability.

- Tim Sweeney. Unreal Engine Developer.
    Sauce: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?2562-Atlas-MMO-Framework

With Planetside 2 (14,000 playerbase at launch) it uses client side detection (Tim Sweeney's first point) which lowers server activity as well as enables up to 2000 players per continent. Ever since beta SoE now Day Break Games has been reducing the costs of servers to an optimal level so that the cost of maintenance and bandwidth are reduced. I think even if we have 32 players per map UE4 can use chunks of sublevels and add level streaming to overcome this issue as well as multiple servers streaming levels (Sweeney's second point). So it comes down to level design as well as map/networking being done well so that rollout is easier.

Estender and Mahdi like this.